Formula One - 2023

BOF

47 minutes ago, sidcow said:

See this comment every week yet people still keep tuning in. 

I haven't watched a huge amount this season and usually tune in knowing that I'll fall asleep for 40 out of the 70 laps

16 hours ago, Genie said:

That’s spending about 3 quarters of the race taking it easy too. 

Yeah, I remember him on the radio complaining that they wouldn't let him go faster. At the time he was half a second a lap quicker than anyone else. 

I'll have the F1 on in the background if I'm at home, but it is far from required viewing now.

To be honest its not the Red Bull dominance that bothers me, ironically its not the battle for the lead that necessarily determines how entertaining a season or race is.

I would say bigger factors are close racing, mixed up grids, changeable weather, pit lane drama, driver rivalry, exciting race tracks...

Unfortunately this season has almost had none of the above

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

To be honest its not the Red Bull dominance that bothers me, ironically its not the battle for the lead that necessarily determines how entertaining a season or race is.

I would say bigger factors are close racing, mixed up grids, changeable weather, pit lane drama, driver rivalry, exciting race tracks...

Unfortunately this season has almost had none of the above

The cars seem to be ultra reliable now too which also takes away a facet of potential interest. Even punctures are rare these days.

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

The cars seem to be ultra reliable now too which also takes away a facet of potential interest. Even punctures are rare these days.

F1 has never been the same since refuelling was banned. Regardless of everything else going on, that always ensured different strategies were always at play, sometimes not fully unfolding until the final laps.

Ultra reliable cars all on the same fuel load to the finish and pretty much all utilising the same number of stops doesn't play out to exciting races unfortunately.

Something definitely needs to be done, obviously without artificially influencing things too much... I think one lap Q3 qualifying runs would be a good start to least mix up the grids a bit more.

And the fact that drivers make so many less mistakes now because they spend all day racing in simulators and could probably drive most tracks with a blindfold on.

F1 has just become too clinical, too technical and just not fun. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

And the fact that drivers make so many less mistakes now because they spend all day racing in simulators and could probably drive most tracks with a blindfold on.

F1 has just become too clinical, too technical and just not fun. 

Again, it’s due to the engineering being so good nowadays. The cars are far easier to drive than 10-20 years ago.

8 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I think one lap Q3 qualifying runs would be a good start to least mix up the grids a bit more.

I was thinking this last night playing F1 2022 on my Xbox. One shot qualifying would be good fun and should lead to mistakes and mixed up grids.

53 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was thinking this last night playing F1 2022 on my Xbox. One shot qualifying would be good fun and should lead to mistakes and mixed up grids.

Thing is DRS makes it so easy for faster cars to overtake that it would probably only be about lap 25 before we were back in a normal running order

I actually think the race yesterday was ok, especially for a Spanish GP which are usually dull as ****. I think the design changes have carried on allowing closer racing.

It's just all made very boring when one driver/car is so utterly dominant.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Thing is DRS makes it so easy for faster cars to overtake that it would probably only be about lap 25 before we were back in a normal running order

Well you could argue that faster cars probably should and will find their natural positions eventually but at least there is some racing to get there. Anything more than that is artificially influencing races. 

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Someone mentioned during the race that DRS should only be available for a limited amount of time, either that or a number of laps to use so there is still some tactics involved and its not just there all the time. I do agree with that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Well you could argue that faster cars probably should and will find their natural positions eventually but at least there is some racing to get there. Anything more than that is artificially influencing races. 

Yeah that's my point. It used to be "Catching them is one thing but overtaking is another"

Now that doesn't apply. If you're faster than the car in front you're probably going to pass them. Easily. Before you've even got to the corner

18 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Someone mentioned during the race that DRS should only be available for a limited amount of time, either that or a number of laps to use so there is still some tactics involved and its not just there all the time. I do agree with that.

I don't think we need it. And if we do then it should only be on certain tracks where overtaking is a real problem

There's no jeopardy or ability to make tactical decisions anymore anymore. We all know from testing who's going to win the championship.

- Allow 2 DRS "power play" windows of 10 laps each, no need to be within 1s of the car in front, just have 20 laps per race when you can use DRS on the straights. This will stop processions at the end of races as you'll have some cars with DRS quickly catching whoever is in front.

-Bring back in refueling with no min or max limits.

Would make a huge different to the races in my opinion.  

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think we need it. And if we do then it should only be on certain tracks where overtaking is a real problem

I'm not a massive fan of it but I remember the days before it was introduced and you would literally have 40 laps of a clearly faster car stuck behind someone and not being able to do anything about it. You could argue that if a driver can go 40 laps without making a mistake they deserve to keep the place but its not exactly a fun spectacle to watch but then again neither is watching someone push a go faster button and cruise past someone. DRS with caveats seems the only logical solution really.

25 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

There's no jeopardy or ability to make tactical decisions anymore anymore. We all know from testing who's going to win the championship.

- Allow 2 DRS "power play" windows of 10 laps each, no need to be within 1s of the car in front, just have 20 laps per race when you can use DRS on the straights. This will stop processions at the end of races as you'll have some cars with DRS quickly catching whoever is in front.

-Bring back in refueling with no min or max limits.

Would make a huge different to the races in my opinion.  

Don't mind either solution.

100% what they need is variables to mix up races, at the moment there just isn't enough and when you also have a dominant car at the front where is the entertainment coming from?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I'm not a massive fan of it but I remember the days before it was introduced and you would literally have 40 laps of a clearly faster car stuck behind someone and not being able to do anything about it. You could argue that if a driver can go 40 laps without making a mistake they deserve to keep the place but its not exactly a fun spectacle to watch but then again neither is watching someone push a go faster button and cruise past someone. DRS with caveats seems the only logical solution really.

I'd argue watching cars breeze past slightly slower cars like they're standing still is just as boring. At least if a car is stuck behind another it means things can become more interesting with quali mistakes etc.
At the moment if Max qualified last he'd probably be winning by lap 30.

Plus the new regulations mean cars can follow closer so overtaking should be easier, which addresses the problem DRS was invented for. 

And as above, if it really is still a huge problem then have DRS on certain tracks. We don't need DRS in Baku on one of the longest straights in F1 history