Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The scratching of the face is such an obvious tick that he has, when he does it you just know there is some serious thinking happening in his mind!

Siht at poker, brilliant football manager

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Mate… as I pointed out… my comments weren’t a direct response to you but a general point. I have seen plenty of moaning and extreme views and opinions, it’s not unusual for our fanbase. I’m not just talking about here either… plenty of nonsense on social media..

I didn’t intend for you take it personally…

I don’t keep quiet when we perform poorly or get bad results either… I am never happy when that happens but am choosing to exercise more patience and understanding this time around and feel it’s more justified than ever…

Anyway…

Are you feeling better now? 3 goals in 20 mins isn’t half bad 😂

Unai is the man!!

Equally Jas, I wasn't refering to you, with the emboldened bit.....I was covering general comments.

I don't go on other sites, so forgive me, if I am not privvy to the possible nonsense you see.

Anyway, good performance from us and a fabulous result....well executed goals, of the highest order.

Interesting to see, how Luton, went after Newcastle, and it was a different ball game. I still think, allowing or denying opponents space, has a big bearing on games, and we saw that, in our game.

Edited by TRO

18 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Again, don’t take it personally. I was just discussing how I feel basically…

Anyway…

its 4 goals in 30 now 😂

All hail King Unai!!!

Jas, I know you have made observations in the past, regarding our shortfalls, so my point about keeping shtum when we lose, was not aimed at you.

The 4 goals were well taken ,and I am not going to go in to how, poor Sheff Utd was, because its not our problem......they showed how stubborn they could be in our home game, so its their choice, how they play.

Its not the right time to say this after an emphatic win.....but I still think, teams who choose to smother us, will still pose a problem....finding space for us to execute, our undoubted talent, is key (imv) to getting favourable results.

I think a few teams saw, Sheff Utd at VP create a low block, and shut us out and decided to take influence from that game against us....hence our run of goals drying up a bit.

Any team, that wants to open up, and go toe to toe with us, I fancy our chances....but I still think, we have to learn how to deal with the teams, who don't want to play, and just set out to stop us.

This league, is bloomin tough.

Edited by TRO

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

" First of all you rude b**ch... Good afternoon! " 😂 

Reminds me of older Jamaicans when I was younger who would be seething if you dared walk past them in the neighbourhood and not say Good Morning, Good Afternoon or Good Evening " 😂

Courtesy is free,( no cost option) it's also a value that is missing with some, these days....Unai was cute, in highlighting it....it was rude, to just launch in to him, he gave her a lesson in etiquette.

Fortunately, he is experienced with the media too, another string to his bow.

PS hopefully, next time, she will remember, to allow him time to greet her.

pps Courtesy, will always shut down, ignorance.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

We’Ve BIn fOUnd OuT 

Not in this game we wasn't, perhaps your getting mixed up with Tuesdays game.... or using this game to poke fun at the comments made about Tuesdays game, with a "told you so"

In some aspects of the game.....all was not necessarily corrected and we wasn't challenged in those same aspects yesterday, in the way Newcastle did....The overtures of both games was different, hence the performances and results were different.

So lets enjoy the win and the performance, but not get carried away.

If you are suggesting (even tongue in cheek) that some folk was wrong in their assessment of that game, I think you are wrong.....some of the comments on tuesday, was justified.

They found a way, to administer, that performance and result, which was in stark contrast to the game on Tuesday.....so good on the boys for that.....but we fans can only say, what we see.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not in this game we wasn't, perhaps your getting mixed up with Tuesdays game.... or using this game to poke fun at the comments made about Tuesdays game, with a "told you so"

In some aspects of the game.....all was not necessarily corrected and we wasn't challenged in those same aspects yesterday, in the way Newcastle did....The overtures of both games was different, hence the performances and results were different.

So lets enjoy the win and the performance, but not get carried away.

If you are suggesting (even tongue in cheek) that some folk was wrong in their assessment of that game, I think you are wrong.....some of the comments on tuesday, was justified.

They found a way, to administer, that performance and result, which was in stark contrast to the game on Tuesday.....so good on the boys for that.....but we fans can only say, what we see.

Sheffield were awful, so it's easy to improve the Newcastle performance against a very poor side.

I do think that we will need to make tactical changes, as we have been too predictable and struggle against low blocks and opponents who stifle the midfield. It was good to hear Unai commenting that part of our plan was to move the ball quicker, as we looked a bit pedestrian in recent games and will help to create space.

I think the Man Utd & Chelsea games will give a clearer indication of any improvement, as Sheffield was more like a training match.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Reminds me of older Jamaicans when I was younger who would be seething if you dared walk past them in the neighbourhood and not say Good Morning, Good Afternoon or Good Evening " 😂

Love this. *Respect*.

21 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

We are disjointed. And have been for a long time now. We are playing slowly and with little dynamism   and have been for a long time now. ( Bailey aside) 

For me its the worst run of form since he came in . Defence very wobbly. Oppo beating the high line and scoring less and less. 

I am challenging Emery to put it right while also supporting him fully as our manager. 

I am not sure, disjointed is the right word, with respect....but we certainly struggle, with teams who are intent on shutting us down as their prime tactic.

We are still work in progress, so teams who are more advanced than us, in development like the top 3.....do have more of an understanding and are better equipped to counter that.

Even the top 3 do have games, where they struggle to break open, stubborn, defensive approaches, but they do seem to do it more often than us.

When we have space, we have proved we can be eye candy, with the best teams.....we are very talented as a team, I have no doubt about that.....but my nagging doubt is, we can get negated a bit easier, than the other top teams....Thats an observation, not a criticism.

To be fair, I think UE challenges UE , so I have no worries on that front....our manager, does not do complacency, he is not 9-5....he is all in....and he has not come here to have one eye on his pension, he is on a mission. I think he will be a bit like Klopp, he will know when its time to go, but I don't see that, any time soon, he is too invested.....I think we still have some way to go, and I think he does too.

58 minutes ago, TRO said:

Jas, I know you have made observations in the past, regarding our shortfalls, so my point about keeping shtum when we lose, was not aimed at you.

The 4 goals were well taken ,and I am not going to go in to how, poor Sheff Utd was, because its not our problem......they showed how stubborn they could be in our home game, so its their choice, how they play.

Its not the right time to say this after an emphatic win.....but I still think, teams who choose to smother us, will still pose a problem....finding space for us to execute, our undoubted talent, is key (imv) to getting favourable results.

I think a few teams saw, Sheff Utd at VP create a low block, and shut us out and decided to take influence from that game against us....hence our run of goals drying up a bit.

Any team, that wants to open up, and go toe to toe with us, I fancy our chances....but I still think, we have to learn how to deal with the teams, who don't want to play, and just set out to stop us.

This league, is bloomin tough.

All good….

I don’t need to repeat anything other than believing that there is no one better than Unai to solve any of these issues… I do feel as we get players back from injury and hitting/recovering form that the job will become easier for Unai and there will be less challenges or difficulty… unlike some, I don’t at all envisage us experiencing a prolonged slump… we always bounce back and are a different beast these days… and we know how to grind out results too…as well as blowing teams away…

I do think it’s more of a personnel (maybe even profile or ability when certain players are missing) issue than anything tactical or an oversight or shortcoming on Unai’s side… that’s just my personal view. Let’s just agree to disagree there…

Other factors such as fatigue, complacency and inconsistent form have and will continue to play their part too… we have to accept that… the squad/team is not good/elite enough to overcome or counteract those factors… that’s part of what I mean when I call for patience and tolerance and even overachieving… he’s getting more from these players than any previous manager would have been capable of and… I’d even go as far as to say no other manager could… that’s how highly I admire, respect and believe in Unai… I’m very appreciative of him…

We can’t expect things to be rosy all the time, in every game, and shouldn’t forget or overlook the impressive and astounding displays/performances we have put in previously… that should make us more patient and tolerant in my view… and strengthen our belief…

Once again, I want to relax and enjoy rather than heavily critique - we couldn’t be in safer hands. Many were worried about yesterday’s game and we put those fears to rest… at the very least, we know how diligent Unai is and he never rests until he believes we can get it right…

We keep going and fighting and we will continue to impress… I’m sure of it.

It’s important to keep expectations in check… Unai is demanding enough… we are just noise..

As you said, the league is tough… if you’re not focussed or on your game… you’re going to get caught out (the case for everyone)… but I believe we will be much more often than not… consistency is hard to achieve and maintain… overall, we are shaping up well and learning… have to avoid complacency after a good win and recover quickly after losses… we have been doing that in the main…

that’s another thing… Unai will ensure we learn from our mistakes and do better… these players are constantly being educated and this is a new experience for them… we will keep learning and improving… us fans have to realise that and stick with it rather than complain or be unduly/overly concerned or negative…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Sheffield were awful, so it's easy to improve the Newcastle performance against a very poor side.

I do think that we will need to make tactical changes, as we have been too predictable and struggle against low blocks and opponents who stifle the midfield. It was good to hear Unai commenting that part of our plan was to move the ball quicker, as we looked a bit pedestrian in recent games and will help to create space.

I think the Man Utd & Chelsea games will give a clearer indication of any improvement, as Sheffield was more like a training match.

its easy to be awful, when you allow the opposition space to play in, and thats what Sheff Utd did......flames need oxygen, deny it oxygen and the flame dies out.

Don't get me wrong, we subsequently, played some juicy stuff and as they all say, De Bruyne, would have been proud of a pass from Dougie....that was world class.....if teams stand off us, thats what they are likely to get.

But being analytical, We are great, when we have space to play in....when we don't, our edge is blunted......thats a job for WIP.

I think you are bang on, the next 2 games will be interesting, win them, and I thinks its safe to say, back on track.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

its easy to be awful, when you allow the opposition space to play in, and thats what Sheff Utd did......flames need oxygen, deny it oxygen and the flame dies out.

Don't get me wrong, we subsequently, played some juicy stuff and as they all say, De Bruyne, would have been proud of a pass from Dougie....that was world class.....if teams stand off us, thats what they are likely to get.

But being analytical, We are great, when we have space to play in....when we don't, our edge is blunted......thats a job for WIP.

I think you are bang on, the next 2 games will be interesting, win them, and I thinks its safe to say, back on track.

Do you think Unai was…. angry? And that was a “angry” display or he had the players suitably fired up?

He just won’t stand for mediocrity or a drop-off of any form will he? What a guy…

BELIEVE 😆

Just want to stress that confidence and momentum are a big deal… no matter how poor Sheff Utd were or were made to look… results and performances like that help the team to push on and gain more belief and conviction in their methods…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Got these players firing… I expect more for the rest of the season and beyond…

Diaby will be back too… started really well but has tailed off… it’s his first season at the club… we wouldn’t have invested so much in him if we couldn’t see how much he’d enhance us and it was a long term signing, not a short term one… will be a major asset going forwards…

The first 4 players on that list have been completely elevated by Unai… others will (and have been) too…

Emi just gets better, Konsa has been immense, Pau has shown his quality and importance… Bouba is essential…

Moreno and JJ will be back to their best (superb last season) soon…

We’re just going to get better..

Edited by Jas10

27 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Do you think Unai was…. angry? And that was a “angry” display or he had the players suitably fired up?

He just won’t stand for mediocrity or a drop-off of any form will he? What a guy…

BELIEVE 😆

I think he does disappointment, more than anger....and I think after Tuesday, he indoctrinated in to them with that, (they do want to please him) and set about the Sheff Game, to do just that....Ollies best game for a while.

I said in my previous posts, why I think, we sometimes struggle against teams who are intent on shutting us down, and Sheff did that well at VP and not at Bramall Lane....a different approach from them.

However, its not so easy to do it at home, and the gaps opened up for us, I had a suspicion, this might happen, but wasn't sure if Tuesdays game dampened our confidence.....obviously not.

He is too invested, to be hanging around and just picking up the dough...he is responsible for so many jobs, he has brought in.....He has to sort things, when it goes wrong.

This team of ours is capable of beating anybody, when the conditions are right, and being specific, I mean, when our players have space to play in, we can be devastating, but I still don't think we are quite on par with the top teams, when the space is sparse.....hence why teams try to shut us down, to stop us.

I think this will be part of our WIP.....It will be something, we work on, but it might take a change in some personnel, along the way.....I don't think its a 5 minute job, it will be incremental change.

If we had that now, we would be title contenders, but I feel sure, it will be a part of his future plans.

But I will say this Jas......I will continue to say what I see in games, and that will not be a refelection of how I feel overall.....The club is going great, can't remember so many aspects being so right.

But, I do owe it to myself, to say what I see in a game.....after all, its only my opinion.

Edited by TRO

Â