Unai Emery

PeterSw

Got a huge challenge coming up with Man City being our 4th game in 11 days, Man City having had an extra day since their first and second games of the same run.

As if they weren't a challenge at the best of times, Emery is going to have his work cut out.

But I'm so convinced he's better than Pep, that with their suspensions putting them on a more level playing field than normal, he's going to get us the win.

Emery, just try and fix the leaky defence to make it possible to win without having to score 3 😁

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Got a huge challenge coming up with Man City being our 4th game in 11 days, Man City having had an extra day since their first and second games of the same run.

As if they weren't a challenge at the best of times, Emery is going to have his work cut out.

But I'm so convinced he's better than Pep, that with their suspensions putting them on a more level playing field than normal, he's going to get us the win.

Emery, just try and fix the leaky defence to make it possible to win without having to score 3 😁

Unai's record vs Pep is 0-4-9 though, to be fair, most of that was against the Barcelona with Messi at the peak of his powers.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Time for Emery to get his first win vs Pep and also Man City

Oh god could you imagine? Aston Villa beating Man City. Ain’t gonna happen. Never in a billion years! We are not allowed to win such games. 

• Confused 1

On 02/12/2023 at 19:52, TRO said:

I read somewhere, where they said he is not an " arm around the Shoulder " type manager....and he hasn't spoken to Hause in 12 months....I don't know the full story there, so can't comment, suffice to say I believe, UE will handle it well.

I don't know whether he is or he isn't, and arm around the shoulder manager, but if he isn't, it doesn't bother me.

Some of the most successful managers wasn't.....Ron Saunders wasn't....He was hard nosed and hard to please.

Unai is not there to win a popularity parade amongst the players, he is there to drive them to success...Running with the pack, is not a good thing, it can harbour familiarity, and that can breed contempt....I think Unai is well aware of that.

I have full confidence, that Unai knows when to praise and when to give rollockings.....He doesn't suffer fools gladly, and it shows.

I presume the comments towards him, was complimentary, because thats how I took it.

I like a manager to be a tad aloof, and protective/ defensive of his designation.

It usually means that the assistants do the arm around the shoulder stuff.. It seems to me that Emery has got the coaching staff spot on.. allowing Emery to be himself.

On 01/12/2023 at 15:07, duke313 said:

I'm still waiting on that second season drop off that Arsenal fans warned us about.  Anybody any idea when it's due to happen?

He was sacked 3 months into his second season so he should be gone by February 😝

• Haha 1

Great press conference from Emery today. One thing he said I found interesting. He’s using matches as practice sessions for tactical ideas and options moving forward. Thinking two, three, four games in advance for what will be needed. Practicing with matches but still needing to win and produce. Emery is playing chess

• Like 3

On 02/12/2023 at 19:52, TRO said:

I read somewhere, where they said he is not an " arm around the Shoulder " type manager....and he hasn't spoken to Hause in 12 months....I don't know the full story there, so can't comment, suffice to say I believe, UE will handle it well.

I don't know whether he is or he isn't, and arm around the shoulder manager, but if he isn't, it doesn't bother me.

Some of the most successful managers wasn't.....Ron Saunders wasn't....He was hard nosed and hard to please.

Unai is not there to win a popularity parade amongst the players, he is there to drive them to success...Running with the pack, is not a good thing, it can harbour familiarity, and that can breed contempt....I think Unai is well aware of that.

I have full confidence, that Unai knows when to praise and when to give rollockings.....He doesn't suffer fools gladly, and it shows.

I presume the comments towards him, was complimentary, because thats how I took it.

I like a manager to be a tad aloof, and protective/ defensive of his designation.

From the book El Maestro I read about him that’s has quotes from former Emery players and staff his man management skills are good, he instills confidence in players by identifying the areas to improve in their game and helping them achieve that goal. He’s very honest and if a player isn’t up to standard he has no problem telling the player that he isn’t good enough but has enough class to keep the player involved until he finds a club rather than bombing them out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

From the book El Maestro I read about him that’s has quotes from former Emery players and staff his man management skills are good, he instills confidence in players by identifying the areas to improve in their game and helping them achieve that goal. He’s very honest and if a player isn’t up to standard he has no problem telling the player that he isn’t good enough but has enough class to keep the player involved until he finds a club rather than bombing them out.

Honestly I think one of Emery's strongest assets, almost as important as his tactical nous, is his complete lack of ego. Convinced that's half the reason behind his success because let's be honest, a lot of managers tend to be full of themselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

That's clearly happening with players like Zaniolo Donk Chambers. I think it happened with Bailey and now we're reaping the rewards. In Emery I trust

13 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

I believe his man management skills are top class.

His record of improving players is well documented and illustrated....but that was my point, he doesn't suffer fools gladly either.

Edited by TRO

On 01/12/2023 at 14:07, duke313 said:

I'm still waiting on that second season drop off that Arsenal fans warned us about.  Anybody any idea when it's due to happen?

I can see why they didn't take to Emery, as Wenger ball was sublime and off the cuff. Although we score a lot of goals, Emery ball is much more robotic, with the same patterns of passing and fixed tempo each match. It's effective, but less entertaining, as you know what to expect each week and don't see much deviation in approach and play. 

24 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I can see why they didn't take to Emery, as Wenger ball was sublime and off the cuff. Although we score a lot of goals, Emery ball is much more robotic, with the same patterns of passing and fixed tempo each match. It's effective, but less entertaining, as you know what to expect each week and don't see much deviation in approach and play. 

Are you not entertained...

I don't think I've ever been more entertained, I'm easily pleased though.

5 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Are you not entertained...

I don't think I've ever been more entertained, I'm easily pleased though.

I still prefer watching the games, compared to our previous managers in recent years, but was more an observation compared to wenger. 

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

I still prefer watching the games, compared to our previous managers in recent years, but was more an observation compared to wenger. 

Wenger was one of the best coaches I've ever seen, but he also had a pretty decent selection of players over the years, same as Fergie did. Emery has the potential to be up there too, given the time and patience. Our squad will get there, with some more additions

6 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Arteta football is just as robotic just he has shit keepers

Â