Unai Emery

PeterSw

1 hour ago, FLVillan said:

Quick question for the regulars at Villa Park.  Is there an "Unai, give us a wave" chant, and if so, has he responded?   I know he prefers to get straight off the pitch as soon as the match is over, so I'd imagine it's a no, but just curious....

Secondly, he's getting to a stage where the old standard "Unai's claret and blue army" seems to be insufficient.  I think he needs his own song....

Sung in his first game against United IIRC, and he obliged.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i could name many things i love about Emery, many already mentioned in recent posts, so i will add another........😜

I feel like this is the first time we have got promoted that we have a genuine, "team" style/tactic/system:

• In the Grealish era it was "give it to Grealish", and without him it didnt work.
  • In the post Grealish era, i dont think Smith knew how to make the players work, flip flopped around formations/tactics etc and never really got the team firing in any noticeable way.
  • Gerrard was basically "look mom I'm playing like Liverpool", but he wasnt and he had no idea what he was doing, he kept "going back to basics", ie: he didnt know how to implement a system or a tactic that wasnt just "park the bus" or "gung-ho suicide".

Added to this, when Emery came in and some results didnt pan out how he/we wanted, some players at times struggled a little with what he wanted, there were calls for Emery to "go back to basics", its so impressive that Emery refused to do this and basically said "you will learn my way or you wont be here"......"this is the system, show me you can play it, or prove to me you cant and need replacing".

Breath of fresh air, amazing appointment, i hope he is here a long, long time and build the club in his image.

Amen!

So many things to like about him . His obsession with coaching and work ethic . His will to implement a style of play . His politeness   his view that its us supporters that deserve to see good football at vp . His willingness to integrate the whole squad in his plans.  His ability to improve key players in key positions. Even how he gets straight down the tunnel at the end of the games.  Not interested in bathing in the glory of a win. I think its because it is the players that have won the game so they deserve the plaudits.  Not him who just coaches them. 

The best manager we have ever had in reality in the Prem league era. 

• Like 2

Just seen that Jacob Ramsey made Garth Crooks team of the week, found the below funny. Link

So what's changed at Villa Park since Steven Gerrard left? If you listen to Ramsey, it would appear an awful lot. The striker is playing considerably higher up the pitch in a role he likes and that plays to his strengths. His confidence is sky high and he's scoring goals. He blew Bournemouth off the pitch. It would appear Aston Villa now have a grown-up in charge and not a manager who was learning on the job

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

Question:

Rewind to the day after Deano was sacked. Would you accept the Gerrard appointment, the dreadful performances, the arrogance, the nastiness, the Mings debacle and the very likely relegation battle...

... if you knew you'd have Unai in the not too distant future?

I would, 100%. 

15 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Question:

Rewind to the day after Deano was sacked. Would you accept the Gerrard appointment, the dreadful performances, the arrogance, the nastiness, the Mings debacle and the very likely relegation battle...

... if you knew you'd have Unai in the not too distant future?

I'd have preferred them to make the correct change directly after Smith leaving as it was pretty obvious to most that Gerrard should never have been given the job. As is I'm very happy to have Unai now and our previous manager's tenure has become an unpleasant fever dream 

13 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Really!? That’s amazing! 

Yep. 26pts ÷ 14 games in charge x 28 games this season = 52pts, third place. Projected points tally rounds up to 71 for 38 games. Which in the last 5 seasons would have got a team european football every season, champions league 4 out of 5 and top three twice.

Elite manager form already with this squad. Insanely brilliant manager.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Yep. 26pts ÷ 14 games in charge x 28 games this season = 52pts, third place. Projected points tally rounds up to 71 for 38 games. Which in the last 5 seasons would have got a team european football every season, champions league 4 out of 5 and top three twice.

Elite manager form already with this squad. Insanely brilliant manager.

We've only played 27 games, wouldn't it be 26pts ÷ 14 games in charge x 27 games this season = 50pts?  Still amazing like.

Just now, duke313 said:

We've only played 27 games, wouldn't it be 26pts ÷ 14 games in charge x 27 games this season = 50pts?  Still amazing like.

Ah you're right. I looked at Palaces game played like an eejit. Our projected points tally is still the same though. Which is incredible when you think where we were before he came in.

This is what happens when Purslow is left out of footballing decisions. 

Mr. Nassef, start being more hands on please. 

Edited by Pinebro
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

image.png.d7847cb05e91f0dd4e8f72d9f780e46f.png

Second most successful PL era Villa manager after 14 games.

His next opportunity to take the top spot would be at 21 games, if he wins the next 7 in a row.

No pressure.

He's just a great coach who knows what he's doing. Has a game plan from home and away and lower opposition and top opposition. The only "poor" result so far has been losing at home to Leicester and that was down to some individual errors (two bad ones from Kamara). Those kind of odd error games happen to every team. 

The fact we can expect wins against teams below us in the league now is huge for us. We need just a sprinkle of additional top talent to the current squad. Let Chambers and Traore from the current squad go. Then we're in a good place to push for the top 7 next season and cup runs.

Â