Unai Emery

PeterSw

1 hour ago, Rustibrooks said:

So we have Liverpool and Tottenham after the break, after that we have a run of very winnable games. I would hope that we can grab as many points as possible vs Liverpool/Tottenham and then aim for a high points return for our following games. 

Our players should be coming into those games pretty fresh.  Tough return for us for sure - but I think we have a really decent chance of getting something from one or both of those matches.  I don't think we will get spanked twice.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, allani said:

Our players should be coming into those games pretty fresh.  Tough return for us for sure - but I think we have a really decent chance of getting something from one or both of those matches.  I don't think we will get spanked twice.  Fingers crossed!

I can live with Spurs and Liverpool beating us with a piece of individual and team brilliance ( both have both ) but their is something very comforting about knowing we’ll meticulously plan for both games and the players will be giving a very clear, workable plan. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, allani said:

I actually think we're better in games where we concede more of the ball. I'm interested to see how Unai sets us up against a Bournemouth where we need to break down ten men.

I fancy us to get something against spuds and Liverpool 

• Like 1

The other thing I like about him is how he thinks about his individual players’ strengths and tweaks the system for that.

He said in his post match that he recognises that Ings plays best when he has people running off him, so he adapted the shape slightly to allow that.

I always felt Ings was a bad signing because he didn’t suit our squad and typical shape, but now we have a manager who is good enough to fit him in.

He’s even worked out how to use McGinn properly.

That’s the kind of manager that players will die for. Rather than one (cough, Stevie, cough, Sir Gareth, cough) who bangs on about his philosophy the whole time and then tries to fit square pegs into round holes.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The other thing I like about him is how he thinks about his individual players’ strengths and tweaks the system for that.

He said in his post match that he recognises that Ings plays best when he has people running off him, so he adapted the shape slightly to allow that.

I always felt Ings was a bad signing because he didn’t suit our squad and typical shape, but now we have a manager who is good enough to fit him in.

He’s even worked out how to use McGinn properly.

That’s the kind of manager that players will die for. Rather than one (cough, Stevie, cough, Sir Gareth, cough) who bangs on about his philosophy the whole time and then tries to fit square pegs into round holes.

That stuck out for me as well, and he’s worked this out in what? 3 weeks. 

Incredible. 

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I can live with Spurs and Liverpool beating us with a piece of individual and team brilliance ( both have both ) but their is something very comforting about knowing we’ll meticulously plan for both games and the players will be giving a very clear, workable plan. 

It is quite possible we would lose the next two, but then again we were expected to lose against ManU and Brighton too. It would take some time before we get used to have a great manager like Emery, that would mean we can now compete with the best.

I can 100% guarantee that the return game against Chelsea we'll not hear that they should be wiping the floor with us.

I'd had sacked that fraud he replaced on the spot for such disrespect for his staff/players.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Incredible. 

I mean it’s obvious from just watching one game under Smith or Gerrard. Or the fact that he thrived in a front 2 with a quick strike partner at Southampton. Or just seeing his technical quality when he drops deep.

I think Smith actually did recognise this too, hence the 3-5-2 experiment, but he couldn’t really get it to work with the other players he had.

Gerrard seemingly never knew what to do with most of his players.

Just now, Johnnyp said:

None of the media loading in on De Zerbi’s English. Seen his interview. It’s not the best. 

It's because Emery became a bit of a joke figure while at Arsenal and the media delighted in piling in on him with some pretty nasty and personal stuff.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, av1 said:

Incredible. 

You act like it’s an amazing act of deduction, but it probably only took a 5 minute chat with Danny to discover what setup allows him to play at his best. I’m sure he’s been around long enough to know what works for him and what doesn’t.

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

I cannot wait to see the team we field after 3 or 4 transfer windows with Unai in charge. Give this guy £150m - £250m to spend and we will have a serious team/squad to follow. 

Seems to have done well at Villareal with lesser resources.

So great potential here.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Â