Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

That depends on what his ambition is but if he wants European football, Champiosn League and to compete with the top 6 then he has no chance at Brighton. He could get a league cup win which would give a one off season in the Europa but when I say 'European Football', I mean qualifying for it regularly via league position

I disagree. Guess time will tell.

9 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I honestly disagree, he can achieve his ambitions at Brighton, possibly within the next 3-4 seasons. 

Not disrespect to Brighton but its a seaside town!

The next step up is a job with huge pressure, if he succeeds  at Aston Villa he will get a top 4 job!

11 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

And that’s why they will eventually become a regular top 6-8 side.

Well they finished 9th last season lets not jump the gun

Sold two of their best players. 

Edited by messi11

55 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't think they have a point. Villa is a bigger club and has more potential and money than Brighton. Any ambitious manager that doesn't have a personal connection with Brighton would leave them for us

We’ve done jack shit for decades and we keep tossing our supposed potential in the bin. Not all teams can be top 6 or even 8. We’ll be competing with them for scraps for decades, until one or both of us falls away indefinitely. Fun tImes. 

22 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

1) It has taken him several years of hard work to get them where they are now and he is starting to reap the reward.

2) They are currently much better than us at football.

3) He appears happy there.

4) Brighton is a stable, well run football club.

5) Villa is a club heading towards a crisis.

6) He would be heading to a potential relegation battle.

We could offer him better money, a bigger transfer budget, more expectation and more pressure. 
It’s not impossible but we are a difficult sell.

1. Won’t matter one bit.

2. For now yes, but money talks.

3. Money talks.

4. So are we.

5. Crisis? We are about to have a stadium expansion, have increased the wage bill, improved the training facilities, have some great youth team players coming through. 

6. We are 4 games in. Too early to say who’s in a relegation battle. In 15 games time we could easily be above Brighton. And money talks.

And that’s not mentioning the fact we are a bigger club historically, he had a fondness towards the club, we probably have the better squad overall (the current manager is mismanaging it). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

The next step up is a job with huge pressure, if he succeeds  at Aston Villa he will get a top 4 job!

An hour away from London, that’s a huge draw! 

Leicester nearly got relegated and then won the league.

Lost two good players, already replaced them with two good players, possibly better players.

I’d love Potter but the lack of knowledge about Brighton on this forum I guess shouldn’t come as a surprise but it is frustrating, can he achieve his ambitions with Brighton, absolutely!

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Lost two good players, already replaced them with two good players, possibly better players.

I’d love Potter but the lack of knowledge about Brighton on this forum I guess shouldn’t come as a surprise but it is frustrating, can he achieve his ambitions with Brighton, absolutely!

It’s an hour and 15 on the train from Birmingham…

Potter or Rodgers for me. Potter would need certifying if he left Brighton for us at the moment, but I feel Rodgers would be up for coming here.

I dont care who it may be, as long as they can pick a bloody coherent midfield 

Edited by StewieGriffin

4 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Potter would be a much easier fit from a strategy and finance perspective and would fit in with current budgets. I think we are paying SG about 5m a year, I don't believe we would have anywhere near 12m+ in our budget for a new manager's salary. As I am sure u know, budgets get approved and signed off and cannot easily be changed. Very often it is impossible to change a budget by any meaningful amount. For us to get Poch, I think Purslow would need to go to NSWE and say 'Hey guys, u know that budget u approved, the one I said was set in stone, well, guess what, I now want to change it'. That is a very difficult conversation for a CEO to have, particularly when he was the one pushing for SG

Not as difficult as telling them he has relegated their club.

If he can get Poch, all this will be done don’t you worry 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Don’t think he has to go via Villa first to get a top 4 job. Could also see him take a job abroad again, maybe some CL or EL club in Italy or Spain.

If Purslow has anything about him we should be waking up to a announcement of his dismissal and the appointment of Pochettino. Levy didn’t mess around with Nuno and look at how that’s worked out. Throw the Sarr money towards the best available manager and paying off Gerrard 

1 minute ago, macandally said:

Not as difficult as telling them he has relegated their club.

If he can get Poch, all this will be done don’t you worry 

Indeed.  You don't do as well in business as our owners have if you can't make hard decisions and make big adjustments to a budget when you need too.  A £7 million adjustment now is a hell of a lot easier than having to change all their stadium redevelopment plans because the club is stuck in the Championship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, picicata said:

I just get the feeling with Potter, as well as loyalty, he has spent the last few years building something that has led to Brighton looking like an excellent team. I'm not sure he'll want to leave just as his hard work is really paying dividends to start a new project.

If that’s the case why isn’t he still at Swansea?

These guys don’t get to be where they are without backing themselves, look at the squad he would inherit, why wouldn’t he want to coach Coutinho, Kamara and Bailey amongst others?

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

1) It has taken him several years of hard work to get them where they are now and he is starting to reap the reward.

2) They are currently much better than us at football.

3) He appears happy there.

4) Brighton is a stable, well run football club.

5) Villa is a club heading towards a crisis.

6) He would be heading to a potential relegation battle.

We could offer him better money, a bigger transfer budget, more expectation and more pressure. 
It’s not impossible but we are a difficult sell.

We are not a basket case, we made a bad decision and he has 34 games to fix it? He should back himself to do that.

If he is interested then I would imagine one of the questions asked right up front would be “what do you need before the window closes”

59 minutes ago, messi11 said:

If he succeeds at Aston Villa he’ll already have a top 4 job. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

If he succeeds at Villa he will already be in a top 4 club 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

I haven't noticed any lack of knowledge about Brighton