January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

If we had 18 senior players with a load of highly rated youth ready to jump in and supplement our squad then i would be more than happy  . But we havent. Archer and Tim are out on loan , AJ and Chrisene are back from loan but with pretty bad injuries. Brad Young has come back from an unsuccessful loan at league 2 / conference standard. 

We have nothing to supplement the 18 or so at the moment.  Nothing. That is a big risk being made by our club. Knocks are knocks. They happen and some players are better naturally getting over them than others.  But anyone at any time can get a season ending injury.  If Ollie did his cruciate at the weekend then for the rest of the season we would be relying on Duran to be our striker for 18 games. And we have already been told that he is a project , not a starter. If he got injured then its either Brad Young Or Kobei Moore to lead the line. 

This also. Rory Wilson is in our under 18 squad. He can't lead the line yet.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

And what if we continue do well? 

Then great, we will have been extremely lucky with injuries, bookings, form and options…the reason most have a strong squad is to cope with these things, we are going a risky direction.  Emery has said he wanted more, that hasnt been delivered.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Just now, MWARLEY2 said:

I would say the club would have got it wrong still. Theres risk and there is stupid risks. Having 1 striker is a stupid risk whether it pays off or not. Especially when we only have one senior winger as well. 

We don't have one striker, jesus christ 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

I agree we should care but if things go wrong so what? It's a small slip on a long term journey. 

We don't need short term thinking based on panic driven what if scenarios.

Exactly.

Short term thinking led to Coutinho and Digne and Ings.

Luckily Ings was good enough to off load without taking too much of a hit.  Not so sure we’ll have the same luck with the other two.

• Like 1

Just now, MWARLEY2 said:

I would say the club would have got it wrong still. Theres risk and there is stupid risks. Having 1 striker is a stupid risk whether it pays off or not. Especially when we only have one senior winger as well. 

I'd agree if we were in a relegation battle. I'd call it madness if we were. 

But right now it's not a big risk. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Defence is fine. 

Cm is fine. 

We have Bailey, Buendia, Ramsay, Coutinho, Mcginn and Moreno who could play wide in Emery's formation. 

We have Watkins and Dhuran as main striker

We have Buendia, Bailey, Coutinho or Ramsay who could play off them. 

I don’t know if you are trolling now mate!

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Then great, we will have been extremely lucky with injuries, bookings, form and options…the reason most have a strong squad is to cope with these things, we are going a risky direction.  Emery has said he wanted more, that hasnt been delivered.

But as I've just explained, besides back up for Watkins, we have a strong squad. 

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Some brains are unable to comprehend a positive outlook. We won’t do well if we don’t get a striker in NOW!

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. I feel that is fairly standard practice for any organisation. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I agree we should care but if things go wrong so what? It's a small slip on a long term journey. 

We don't need short term thinking based on panic driven what if scenarios.

And if Villa aren't successful, some other clubs will be. The amount of happiness in the world is constant.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So what's going to happen?

We have injuries and finish 14th. So what?

So what?  It makes is that much harder for us to sell our project and aspirations to be challenging for (and getting) European places when it comes to trying to attract our top targets for the summer who are likely to be considering options from clubs in Europe who have qualified for the CL and / or other teams expecting to finish in the top half of the PL next season.

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

I don’t know if you are trolling now mate!

He's not, but I'm not sure if you and the few others who keep acting like we have to put the tea lady on the bench next week because all of our players are going to get injured are!

Just now, DCJonah said:

What do you disagree with?

What you’ve written, if you don’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you! I can’t believe you actually think we have a strong squad…bizarre.,

Just now, Powehi said:

He's not, but I'm not sure if you and the few others who keep acting like we have to put the tea lady on the bench next week because all of our players are going to get injured are!

Wow! 🙄

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Less chance of getting the players we want.  Yes we have proved in the past we can get the likes of Kamara but will also stop us getting other players being 14th rather than say 8th.

But you want us to attract these players now in 11th?

people forget that one of the most reputable clubs on the planet, man utd, could only find wout weghourst as their back up striker. there would've been a **** meltdown on here if we'd signed him

maybe strikers are just **** difficult to find

Just now, tomav84 said:

people forget that one of the most reputable clubs on the planet, man utd, could only find wout weghourst as their back up striker. there would've been a **** meltdown on here if we'd signed him

maybe strikers are just **** difficult to find

So why did we sell Ings? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

This also. Rory Wilson is in our under 18 squad. He can't lead the line yet.

What about as plan C? He's very highly rated - sometimes players step up in times of adversity. Could strike up a telepathic understanding with Buendia for all we know.