January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

33 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

Deulofeu wasn’t in the Udinese squad tonight, and doesn’t appear to be injured or suspended. 

are you sure?, he went off injured in their last game on 12th Nov, tonight was Udinese's first game since that game, so maybe he isnt fit yet?

• Like 1

we almost certainly wont solve every problem area in Jan, but we need:

• RB
  • LB
  • Winger/inside forward
  • Maybe a striker, but only if we offload one, and tbh, im even to the point where maybe the 3 area's above are more critical.
  • Like 2

Aside from the obvious need for a new winger, I think right back is the next priority.

Cash is not really good enough on the ball to play it out from the back the way we've been trying to do. He's terrible at crossing and shooting, so even though you can't fault his effort, he contributes very little going forward. And, he's not good enough defensively to make up for his failings on the ball.

Young has been better at RB, but must be nearing 100 years old. KKH might be able to challenge/cover next year, and Chambers can cover if not, so we don't need to hold onto Cash for cover. Would be good to sell (and replace) him now if possible rather than wait until he's been on the bench for a few months losing value.

• Like 1

I think put bluntly we need to splash the cash. We’re expecting players who are 20-30m players to compete with squads made up of players in the 60-90m bracket.

For me, we’re half a team. For all our forward players I think it’s here where the major surgery is needed as they’re just not consistent enough. 

Yes I’d like more….

LWB/RWB upgraded eventually (Balde, Truffert or Kerkez for LB please), new ball playing CB (Torres), technical/goal scoring CM comp (Kokcu) but it’s the forward lines that we need to go all out on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

are you sure?, he went off injured in their last game on 12th Nov, tonight was Udinese's first game since that game, so maybe he isnt fit yet?

Surely this is wrong?

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Surely this is wrong?

it could be, im just going by Transfermarkt?

he defo came off injured in that Napoli game.

image.png.852dbfc3e629a9cc2a0cd6cf897512b3.png

edit:

transfermarkt is wrong, well, it isnt, the last league game was 12th nov, but they played 5 friendlies in december, doesnt look like he played in any of them either.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

Aside from the obvious need for a new winger, I think right back is the next priority.

Cash is not really good enough on the ball to play it out from the back the way we've been trying to do. He's terrible at crossing and shooting, so even though you can't fault his effort, he contributes very little going forward. And, he's not good enough defensively to make up for his failings on the ball.

Young has been better at RB, but must be nearing 100 years old. KKH might be able to challenge/cover next year, and Chambers can cover if not, so we don't need to hold onto Cash for cover. Would be good to sell (and replace) him now if possible rather than wait until he's been on the bench for a few months losing value.

Could we end up going with Konsa when Carlos comes back?

Back four of Konsa, Carlos, Mings, Digne that becomes a three when Digne bombs on.

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The problem is extremes.

If you're serious about qualifying for europe you simply can't go from playing off the park a near top 4 team (who won 4-0 away tonight) to producing that for first 60 minutes at home to a bottom 3 team.

Yes probably a few of them are leggy and Wolves had 24 hours more rest but it's the same for all sides over xmas and I can't see anyone else putting in those extreme performances within 3 days. Well probably Everton aswell but they're s*** so that answers that example.

There's still a mentality issue lurking inside the club but have to trust Emery with all his top level experience to identify and slowly weed it out.

I mean a derby against Wolves is never going to be an easy game, we played bad and we still got a point, a couple of decisions that normally go against us haven’t gone against them, and we could of snatched it at the end. I think a mentality issue is a bit strong when we’ve beaten so good teams of late including Man U and spuds. It’s a hard league we’re improving lots after a bad year with Gerrard. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Just checked - they've played friendlies since and it doesn't look like he has featured.  So you're probably right @MaVilla

cool, i checked also and noticed the friendlies, i edited my previous post to reflect, but yeah....doesnt look like he played in any of those either.

Just now, burchy said:

Could we end up going with Konsa when Carlos comes back?

Back four of Konsa, Carlos, Mings, Digne that becomes a three when Digne bombs on.

Konsa isn't a good RB either though, even defensively. The only clean sheet we've ever kept with Konsa at RB was thanks to Hawk-Eye vs Sheffield United. 

My biggest problem with Konsa is that he's always looking to pass off defending to Cash or Mings, and just mop up behind them, so when he plays RB, he's often looking for help behind him that's not there. Konsa would be great in the middle of a back 3, but I think he's too passive to be a top player in any other position. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

Cash has really dropped off since last season, when he was one of our better players. Feels strange to think about it but he actually was.

12 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

We need two new fullbacks we should be looking at Luca Netz from Monchengladbach and Lamptey from Brighton both would be a massive improvement on the current two

Lamptey cant even get in the Brighton 11. What makes him good enough for VIlla?

Edited by messi11

12 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Cash has really dropped off since last season, when he was one of our better players. Feels strange to think about it but he actually was.

The RB is the primary beneficiary of Gerrard's dumbass system. League One journeyman James Tavernier has hit double figures in goals from RB a couple of times for Rangers. With most of our possession and attacks going down the left, Cash was in some great positions by just putting in the effort to get up and down the pitch. He's never had much quality on the ball though imo.

Also he's our third tallest outfield player after Mings and Dendonker, but doesn't even go up for corners, because he's not great in the air. He's not a bad player, but I think he's the weakest starter we have.