Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

4 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Man utd will get top 4 but I expect us to beat them on Sunday.  They played extra time n pens in a cup semi, playing tonight and then again on Sunday.  They also have injuries.  

Our extra rest with Emery’s tempo will hopefully be to much for them to handle. 

Liverpool are also not playing well, no matter what the last few results suggest.  They have been fortunate in a couple.  I think its 50/50 we beat them to.

It would help us if Spurs lost tonight and managed to beat Liverpool on Sunday, or at least draw with them.

get something out of the man u game, even a point, and then go on and beat wolves away and spurs at home over the next 2 weeks and i reckon we will get that 6th place. All of this, even more, is very possible, the way we are getting results right now we need to be going for the 9 points. Just wish the squad wasnt so threadbare but the players we have available have been putting in a shift and doing well, DONK has been really good.

out of our remaining games, Man U, Spurs (heh) Brighton and Liverpool will all want to play us and therefore leave space we can exploit, only wolves will want to sit back and make things tough for us and get the point, but then again thats a derby so who knows how they will set up, fan pressure could make them switch it up. Watkins should therefore be more involved in at least 4/5 of those games and he will be a big reason for european football if we can manage to secure it.

I'm very optimistic about getting european football this season, dont let me down lads! All we can do is try to get max points in all our games

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It would help us if Spurs lost tonight and managed to beat Liverpool on Sunday, or at least draw with them.

No we need to accept Liverpool are getting Top 6 and only focus on Brighton and Spurs

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Id probably disagree.  Get daylight between spurs and ourselves and Liverpool and us can settle for 5th/6th.  Especially given Liverpools easy run in.

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

No we need to accept Liverpool are getting Top 6 and only focus on Brighton and Spurs

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Id probably disagree.  Get daylight between spurs and ourselves and Liverpool and us can settle for 5th/6th.  Especially given Liverpools easy run in.

If you're happy enough with Liverpool finishing above us, then sure. But Spurs beating Liverpool (and as long as they get nothing from United) wouldn't be terrible.  Yes, it would mean Spurs getting a bit closer, but it gives us breathing space from Liverpool even if they win their game in hand.  We can still beat Spurs at Villa Park, and then just have to not get beat at Anfield.

• Like 1

Not much we can do about it but I agree that our competition for Europe are Brighton or Spurs. Liverpool just has such an easy run-in and their two away fixtures are Leicester and potentially mathematically related Southampton. 

We need to blow the doors off Spurs and have a rocking Villa Park on the last day for Brighton. 

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If you're happy enough with Liverpool finishing above us, then sure. But Spurs beating Liverpool (and as long as they get nothing from United) wouldn't be terrible.  Yes, it would mean Spurs getting a bit closer, but it gives us breathing space from Liverpool even if they win their game in hand.  We can still beat Spurs at Villa Park, and then just have to not get beat at Anfield.

I've already accepted that Liverpool are probably going to finish 5th but 6th is there for the taking. Like Newcastle away last week, I just cannot see Spurs getting anything at Anfield this weekend. Any points Spurs are going to get is at home, they will probably beat on-the-beach Palace and maybe on-the-beach Brentford but can't see them getting anything from their away fixtures, even Leeds will probably have to beat them to try and stop up. Just gotta hope Man Utd can avoid losing tonight. 

12 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

The aura of invincibility surrounding brighton has now been pierced, that loss yday might rock them. Who's to say they won't now go on a real poor run, akin to arsenal? Wolves will want to grind them down and settle for a point, can see that being 1-1, Man United will need to win to keep their own hopes alive, Everton fighting for their lives neaer the bottom, especially with the Forest result from the other day and Leicester starting to pick up points. Arsenal will want to win as many as possible to keep their faint title hopes alive.

Brighton are quality but the result yday could have repercussions for them which even the squad might not be ready for

Brighton have 7 matches in 24 days in May - 5 of which are against the current top 5 teams in the league (three away and then the 2 Manchester clubs at home).  That is a big ask for a relatively small squad - especially if Arsenal can at least make sure that Man City have to win their penultimate game to wrap up the title.  It will be close but I do think we'll at least have the chance to finish above them with the right result on the last day of the season.  I just hope that Spurs implode so that at the very worst we are battling for 6th or 7th on the last day.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Is there any difference between 5th and 6th? If not I'd rather Spurs lose to Liverpool 

For me 5th is symbolic as we haven't done it since 1996-97. To finish 5th would genuinely be a special season in the context of our recent history and also distinguish what has been a magic time since Unai arrived from the MON years.

But 6th would also be great!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, allani said:

Brighton have 7 matches in 24 days in May - 5 of which are against the current top 5 teams in the league (three away and then the 2 Manchester clubs at home).  That is a big ask for a relatively small squad - especially if Arsenal can at least make sure that Man City have to win their penultimate game to wrap up the title.  It will be close but I do think we'll at least have the chance to finish above them with the right result on the last day of the season.  I just hope that Spurs implode so that at the very worst we are battling for 6th or 7th on the last day.

Yeah it's good to have two teams in the dogfight and that both have to come to VP. Brighton at VP last game of season looks one that we need to win to get top 7 imo. 

I think as crazy as it sounds that Man U at the weekend will be easier than against Wolves.

Fatigue will be a big factor in the Man U game where as in the Wolves game it won't be and they will be dying to get one over on us.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

If Spurs lose their next two matches Man Utd (h), Liverpool (a) there will be a full scale crisis at the club.  Their fans are on the brink of revolt.  The players are looking disinterested.  Really hope that Utd spank them tonight.  I bet a Spurs guy I know that we would finish above them when Conte left - at the moment I feel pretty confident that that is a bet that I will probably win.

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah it's good to have two teams in the dogfight and that both have to come to VP. Brighton at VP last game of season looks one that we need to win to get top 7 imo. 

I think we will need to win to get top 6.  But Man Utd's next three matches will be massive - Spurs, us, Brighton.