Season 22/23 Target League Position

nick76

The poll  

151 members have voted

1. 1. What league position should we be aiming for?

2. 2. What is the lowest acceptable position?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/22 at 23:00

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

because he said 7th to his players

You said the fans think we should be challenging for Top 6, Gerrard tells the players we should be challenging/aiming for 7th place.  Very little difference!

To be fair, we've actually heard him say top half with our own ears.

The 7th thing was from an article by Gregg Evans--that guy that nobody ever wants to believe when it suits them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

The 7th thing was from an article by Gregg Evans--that guy that nobody ever wants to believe when it suits them. 

Ok I give up!

Loads of fans expect top 6 but the club are only aiming for top 10 position. 

🙄

Not specifically directed at you, just a bizarre discussion that clubs targets are different to fans from what we’ve heard from the club.  I don’t believe fans ‘expect’ top six.  I believe the club and fans aim is for European football.  The difference being, some think we are good enough for it and some of us don’t.  I don’t think the aims between the fans and club are not aligned despite what some are trying to say, I think the club give out what they aim for through various means and fans thrive from that somewhat along with their own aims.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Gregg Evans - the guy who is full of s*** and has zero credibility until he says something you want to use to back up your point! 😂

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Ok I give up!

Loads of fans expect top 6 but the club are only aiming for top 10 position. 

🙄

Not specifically directed at you, just a bizarre discussion that clubs targets are different to fans from what we’ve heard from the club.  I don’t believe fans ‘expect’ top six.  I believe the club and fans aim is for European football.  The difference being, some think we are good enough for it and some of us don’t.  I don’t think the aims between the fans and club are not aligned despite what some are trying to say, I think the club give out what they aim for through various means and fans thrive from that somewhat along with their own aims.

You’ve made it a bizarre discussion. All I said was Gerrard said the minimum expected was top half :)  That to me indicates the owners will be patient with Gerrard as long as sees progress. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 1

Our target should absolutely be "best of the rest"

If we are close to that, then fine (West Ham will be hard to budge). If we are in the bottom half, with this squad then serious questions need to be asked. 

I'm very positive for the season but I don't think it'll be easy getting into that top 8. Yes we've improved our team, but the rest of the league didn't stand still while we did so. Everyone else improved. West Ham look like they're going to be really strong next season for example. Improving a couple of key areas just like we did.

If we're going to shoot up the table we need better coaching and to get 100% out of this crop of players. This team performing at 100% can get top 8 I think, probably even 7th. We just need to perform to our full potential and that's up to the coaching staff to produce.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’ve made it a bizarre discussion. All I said was Gerrard said the minimum expected was top half :)  That to me indicates the owners will be patient with Gerrard as long as sees progress. 

No you started with fans thinking we should be challenging top six and something about Man City example, I argued that wasn’t the case.  My point was that I believe the club, manager and fans aims are about the same and from comments directly and indirectly confirm it from the club.  The argument generally on here is whether we can achieve that aim, some think yes, some think no.  Generally the aims and expectations by club and fans aligns (There are always a few outliers).

59 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Didn't Emi Martinez say the aim is top 7 only a week or so ago?

Was that in the interview with Bosnich? He said he wants us to get into europe. And that should be our ambition this season else whats the point!

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

When is the last time Villa performed to 100% of their potential? The Brian Little years?

Edited by messi11
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

No you started with fans thinking we should be challenging top six and something about Man City example, I argued that wasn’t the case.  My point was that I believe the club, manager and fans aims are about the same and from comments directly and indirectly confirm it from the club.  The argument generally on here is whether we can achieve that aim, some think yes, some think no.  Generally the aims and expectations by club and fans aligns (There are always a few outliers).

I did say some fans think we should challenging top 6. But I don’t think the club do yet as Gerrard wouldn’t have send the minimum expected is top half.

I think the club will be more patient than the fans. Just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I did say some fans think we should challenging top 6. But I don’t think the club do yet as Gerrard wouldn’t have send the minimum expected is top half.

I think the club will be more patient than the fans. Just my opinion. 

Oh I don’t know about that, if the club don’t think it’s working they will act swiftly.  

The owners, CEO aren’t messing about, if they feel it’s not working they will make a change.  I don’t think the club are more patient than the fans, as we see a lot of fans make reasons, call for patience or blame others.  

I think the club, if they don’t think it’s working, a change will be made at any level so I don’t agree that the club will be more patient than the fans.  They will have their own criteria and if it’s not fulfilling that a change will happen, that could be longer than fans (seen as patience by the fans) or quicker than fans (seen as ruthless by the fans).  They have a plan, they won’t be as emotional as you and I, we just don’t know what that is and by when.

Â