Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Other clubs like Brentford, in particular, have addressed their soft under belly reputations by signing players such as Jansson, Janelt, Ajer, Norgaard, Toney.....Players with a physical presence, that have added that much needed resillience to their guile.....sure they are far from perfect, but they have helped themselves.

But Brentford have been poor for most of the season and what turned things around was signing a technical player.

A bloke with so limited physical presence, he was actually declared dead once.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

10 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

We need to start bringing in players that consistently put in 8/10 performances as opposed to 10/10 one week and 1/10 the next.

I go through our team and it is littered with inconsistency. It was a problem for Smith when Grealish wasn’t in the team and it will be a problem for Gerrard if he doesn’t solve it this summer.

Yup, players who's " off days " are 6s and 7s but average out at 8 I'd say.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

But Brentford have been poor for most of the season and what turned things around was signing a technical player.

A bloke with so limited physical presence, he was actually declared dead once.

Call me mental but I think if Marv doesn’t get injured we see a much better version of coutinho

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Call me mental but I think if Marv doesn’t get injured we see a much better version of coutinho

I dont. Coutinho has only been getting the ball into feet from Ramsey and Luiz. Nakamba isnt technical enough to be doing this and probably wouldn't make much difference for Coutinho 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont. Coutinho has only been getting the ball into feet from Ramsey and Luiz. Nakamba isnt technical enough to be doing this and probably wouldn't make much difference for Coutinho 

If you play Marv behind Luiz and Ramsey I think we’re much more stable. And there’s less burden on coutinho to drop deep into our own half 

• Like 2

Marv was beginning to transform under Gerrard to the player we so desperately need - whether he would’ve continued to impress we will never know but think he’s gunna be crucial for the rest of the season to shore things up, then In the summer hopefully sign a top quality CDM for Tim Iroegbunam to learn from and compete with Marv with Luiz further forwards or sold. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

There's worlds of difference between what Howe has gotten out of that Newcastle squad and what Gerrard has gotten out of ours.

Yes he should still get a transfer window but hundreds of £ms? I'm not so sure. Howe wouldn't have ideally spent £110m+ on Dan Burn, Wood and Trippier. He has made the absolute best of a bad situation.

Gerrard hasn't had anywhere near a good enough impact to our team. It's more talented than both hi. And Smith have gotten out of it.

Director of Football may need a change but should still be trusted over a head coach

Completely agree to be honest, but Howe has been managing for 10+ years. Gerrard is in inexperienced manager. I wouldn’t have been happy with Howe being appointed and I think it was well known when Gerrard signed we were going off his time at rangers and potential. It hasn’t been a complete car crash yet and he’ll have the time to prove if he can be a success or not. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Completely agree to be honest, but Howe has been managing for 10+ years. Gerrard is in inexperienced manager. I wouldn’t have been happy with Howe being appointed and I think it was well known when Gerrard signed we were going off his time at rangers and potential. It hasn’t been a complete car crash yet and he’ll have the time to prove if he can be a success or not. 

That's true, I think as Villa fans sometimes the fear can set in as we've seen it before.

For me, the similarities between Villa with Lerner and the rise of Man City with their stupid amounts of money and the subsequent cutbacks by Lerner are quite stark with Villa with NSWE and the rise of Newcastle and their even more stupid amounts of money.

Somewhere deep within me I'm worried that if we don't crack it in the next 18-36months then the taps get turned off and we immediately become Everton (previously known as 15/16 Villa)

I'm sure that's hyperbolic, and I know that too. On a good day I'm more sensible and level headed. On a nervous day, all the eggs of NSWE's reign are in Project Stevie G and a group of 30yo ex-Red Scousers... Even if I know that's not actually true 🤣

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I made a long post, but it was mid warning so never got posted. Lol. Was going to say similar. Also, Newcastle have had a headstart on us in the League, their squad isn't exactly Norwich level. A few of the players they have signed are actually match winners and game changers.

For example, Trippier scored the only goal freekick against us which they won by. Guimares is a player they also really had no business signing, he scored the double today, which sent them above us ( Having played a game more ) which has re inspired the frenzy.

People keep mentioning , like in the post you repsonded to that " Deano got much more out of the squad "... However if this were true, there wouldn't be an SG thread or debate in the first place, as he wouldn't be here.

We didn't spend half as much time moaning that Moyes was getting much more out of West Ham than Deano was did we?

We mostly accepted the fact that we were in different stages of development, with different boards and managers, under different circumstances.

As you mention, most people wouldn't have wanted Howe or Hidgson as Manager, but fact is , they are PL veterans 

Not all teams need the same things and/or players to get firing either. Some might have just needed balancing, some might have just needed a tweak. I'm not sure how many of them have the gaping holes we have, as I don't follow them closely enough.

The deficiencies we have, are critical deficiencies. Not easily repaired, or without addressing the playing squad.

There might be Teams which wish they had all our attacking talent, whilst we might wish we had their midfield or defence.

If we spend every week being jealous of other teams results, well never be happy. Or I'd be moping about Wolves non stop.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We didn't spend half as much time moaning that Moyes was getting much more out of West Ham than Deano was did we?

Yes we did. Chris Wilder and Bielsa were always considered superior managers to Smith on here

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I made a long post, but it was mid warning so never got posted. Lol. Was going to say similar. Also, Newcastle have had a headstart on us in the League, their squad isn't exactly Norwich level. A few of the players they have signed are actually match winners and game changers.

They had a headstart? 6 months ago they had Clark playing centre back and Steve Bruce as manager. They just signed well in January including a player we just gave them but we should not have allowed them to catch up

33 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Marv was beginning to transform under Gerrard to the player we so desperately need - whether he would’ve continued to impress we will never know but think he’s gunna be crucial for the rest of the season to shore things up, then In the summer hopefully down a top quality CDM for Tim Iroegbunam to learn from and compete with Marv with Luiz further forwards or sold. 

I don’t buy the idea that Gerrard transformed Nakamba.

The transformation idea feels like something local papers suggested when the excitement peaked around Gerrard, and we assumed players would just soak up his prescence.

The whole team was lifted for a while and Nakamba too. He seemed in great form but didn’t change his game.

Just have to go after other teams if Newcastle get amazing really quick (which I doubt under Howe). We really should've been closer to West Ham and Wolves this season imo but decided to donate them 12 points instead and it's always difficult to finish above top half teams if you're losing to them home and away.

West Ham could easily lose Rice in the summer and same for Wolves with Neves so those are crucial cogs in their systems that will take time to replace.

Man. United will certainly be in transtion aswell still. 

It won't be easy but it's not like these teams are all going to be hitting 70 + points this season.

We need to have squad capable of hitting 55-60 points. We had one last season after all so it's not impossible. Looks a very long shot but we could still manage 50 points this season.

Edited by VillaChris

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just have to go after other teams if Newcastle get amazing really quick (which I doubt under Howe). We really should've been closer to West Ham and Wolves this season imo but decided to donate them 12 points instead and it's always difficult to finish above top half teams if you're losing to them home and away.

West Ham could easily lose Rice in the summer and same for Wolves with Neves so those are crucial cogs in their systems that will take time to replace.

It won't be easy but it's not like these teams are all going to be hitting 70 + points this season.

We need to have squad capable of hitting 55-60 points. We had one last season after all so it's not impossible. Looks a very long shot but we could still manage 50 points this season.

60 points minimum each year gets you in the European reckoning most years.

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yes we did. Chris Wilder and Bielsa were always considered superior managers to Smith on here

Hyperbole.

Trotted out by a few yet far from general consensus.

giphy.gif

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The six big clubs tend to finish high and the newly promoted low, but league positions apart from that often change a lot between seasons.

West Ham and Wolves (especially without Rice and Neves) could easily finish bottom half next season, Southampton, Palace or Leeds could be 7th. Remember Burnley finished far ahead of West Ham just two seasons ago, with largely the same squads as now.

Midtable will always be unpredictable.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I don’t buy the idea that Gerrard transformed Nakamba.

The transformation idea feels like something local papers suggested when the excitement peaked around Gerrard, and we assumed players would just soak up his prescence.

The whole team was lifted for a while and Nakamba too. He seemed in great form but didn’t change his game.

I'm not having this notion that everyone was just giddy about Gerrard and Nakamba wasn't actually different, and or much improved, as well as Ramsey, McGinn and Cash.

Go back through the match threads and post match player threads for evidence.

Towards the end before this injury, Nakamba was even taking on more risky forward passes etc and actually making them.

Either way, people keep Lazer focusing in on Nakamba, when as we've noted many times, the most important element to all this, is a " Nakamba type " or better.

Basically someone with the same job who could perform it to the level Nakamba was at his best, at minimum.

As he is/was the best we seemed to have at the particular job, losing him might have affected us more than it might another team.

No one views Nakamba as a " saviour " as has been touted.

It seems as if we are trying to nitpick absolutely anything we can to discredit ANYTHING which may have been positive as a result since his tenure.

I think most people fail to understand that absolutely NONE of us are currently happy with our form and/or results either.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3