Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Please name some strikers who fit the system. And what does his system demand from strikers, other than scoring goals?

technical, movement, pace over short distances and excellent first touch, playing mainly around and in the 18 yard box or on the shoulder of the defender on a high line. 

Bizarrely a young Suarez comes to mind, that's why I think he'll end up here in the summer.  In fact I'd be surprised if he wasnt here at the start of the season. He's not the same player as he was when he was younger obviously so I'm not convinced but I wouldnt be surprised if Gerrard brought him in.

I dont think Watkins has many of those attributes, his game is very different to that.  Ings is closer but not the ideal fit.

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would be interesting to know how much in total wages getting rid of those would free up?

if we got rid of the people on that list (Kalinic, Hourihane, Young, Wesley, Steer, Guilbert, Trezegeut, El Ghazi, Davis, Traore, Targett, Luiz), and the information on the internet is even close to correct, you are looking at about £400k p/w, or roughly £21m a year, off the wage bill.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

if we got rid of the people on that list (Kalinic, Hourihane, Young, Wesley, Steer, Guilbert, Trezegeut, El Ghazi, Davis, Traore, Targett, Luiz), and the information on the internet is even close to correct, you are looking at about £400k p/w, or roughly £21m a year, off the wage bill.

£400k per week it's costing us and aside from the last two we've seen none or barely any first team football or close to it this season. 

Football is crazy!

Let's get these players off our books for that money saved and not increase season ticket prices 😂 I know, I'm never realistic

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Please name some strikers who fit the system. And what does his system demand from strikers, other than scoring goals?

urm, well....do i really need to answer that?, is it not obvious that a striker is more than just someone who scores goals?

ie: pace, agility, vision, movement, pressing, strength, height (or jump), anticipation, touch, heading, dribbling, passing, technique, aggression, composure, decision making, hold up play.....etc etc.

My point was, watkins scores a few goals and presses ok, but his vision, passing, first touch, strength, hold up play, pace, technique etc etc are all quite poor.

Ings is a good all round player, good vision, decent passing, presses ok, has an eye for goal (or used to), but he is fairly slow and isnt a line breaker, and isnt a hold up player as such, he isnt someone who "leads the line", he's more of a false 9 striker to me, but he doesnt have the pace to cut through a team.

I think both have strengths and weaknesses, and may work in different systems, i just dont think either suit the system Gerrard wants to play.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

£400k per week it's costing us and aside from the last two we've seen none or barely any first team football or close to it this season.  Football is crazy!

aint it just.....

If you also sold one of Watkins or Ings, that would be something like 450k-500k p/w, depending on which one, or maybe 550-600k p/w if you offloaded both.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, delboy54 said:

For just a change I would love to have some stability and just buy the odd player rather than having to rebuild the whole team every year

Rinse and repeat same cycle year in year out

Correct. I think we'd be more than o.k if we got a top DM in from somewhere. Pretty bad reading at the weekend Spurs signed Bentancur for an inital 15.6m and 7m more are add ons. In these times that is simply a bargain and feels like we'll pay nearly three times for whoever we want who may not be that good to lift us up 3-4 places in the table.

And after the weekend we certainly need to bring in another striker.

Get those two positions right anyway and I don't think other areas will look so bad. For all our flaws we remain one point off the top half. Obviously finishing 8th and above is harder but if we can get off to a good start next season 20/21 showed you can establish yourself in top 7 up to January.

Bigger problem I fear is manager sticking with a formation that simply won't get the best out of key players.

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

urm, well....do i really need to answer that?, is it not obvious that a striker is more than just someone who scores goals?

ie: pace, agility, vision, movement, pressing, strength, height (or jump), anticipation, touch, heading, dribbling, passing, technique, aggression, composure, decision making, hold up play.....etc etc.

My point was, watkins scores a few goals and presses ok, but his vision, passing, first touch, strength, hold up play, pace, technique etc etc are all quite poor.

Ings is a good all round player, good vision, decent passing, presses ok, has an wyw for goal (or used to), but he is slow and isnt a line breaker, and isnt a hold up player as such, he isnt smeone who "leads the line", he's more of a false 9 striker to me, but he doesnt have the pace to cut through a team.

I think both have strengths and weaknesses, and may work in different systems, i just dont think wither suit the system Gerrard wants to play.

Strikers have to be good at many things yes. Still looking for what it is in Gerrard’s system that demands so much more from the strikers.

I know in his system the DM has the task of shielding the back 4 and covering a large part of the pitch centrally, and the 8s double as full backs when out of possession. But I haven’t seen the job description for the strikers being that different from other systems.

You say Watkins and Ings, despite in many ways being mediocre in your view, could work in others systems. What systems?

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the interest from atletico came 2 weeks before cash signed his new deal

sounds like his agent doing what they do, simeone probably doesnt even know who he is

I think he'd have been on their radar. Trippier was linked to them for six months before he joined and given he did very well there they're probably looking for younger version from prem and his athleticism would appeal to Simeone.

But yeah signing new deal instantly puts another 20m on his pricetag and they aren't paying 40m + for him which we could feasibly demand given he's an international now.

Hause is more interesting, think we just extended his deal to get a better summer fee and you'd think he'd be ideal for Fulham coming up so can see us selling in the summer if we get a bid around 10m.

4 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

I think his contract runs out this summer as well so it'd be a free transfer, I'd be alright with that. He is a decent ball playing CB, I think Bayern want/wanted him though.

I always thought Ginter was a full back...can remember him playing for Germany in that position. Has he changed to CB in recent times?

Been around for ages so guessing he's in that 28-30 bracket.

Wonder if Chris Richards is worth a look? Bayern keep loaning him to Hoffenheim and he's playing regularly for top 6 regulars and another good young American player so that would appeal to our owners. Can't remember if he's a LCB though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

How do you get to be a full German international with 46 caps and I haven't heard of you?

I think I need a newer version of FM.

In fairness he was in their 2014 and 2018 world cup squads....and didn't play a single minute in either, think he's the only German player that's happened to.

Vastly experienced at club level though and has CL experience with 'Gladbach and Dortmund. Would be a smart pick up on a free given he's captain aswell.

I think if he signed that would be it for Konsa personally as would be odd to have three right sided CBs in the squad who could also slot in at RB if required. Given Gomez is constantly getting linked and he's right sided not looking good for Ez.

Edited by VillaChris

37 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think he'd have been on their radar. Trippier was linked to them for six months before he joined and given he did very well there they're probably looking for younger version from prem and his athleticism would appeal to Simeone.

But yeah signing new deal instantly puts another 20m on his pricetag and they aren't paying 40m + for him which we could feasibly demand given he's an international now.

Hause is more interesting, think we just extended his deal to get a better summer fee and you'd think he'd be ideal for Fulham coming up so can see us selling in the summer if we get a bid around 10m.

Just read on one of the player salary sites that Hause new contract makes him one of Villa’s highest paid players with £4.16m per year. I suspect they added a zero by mistake. Either that or his agent is a world class negotiator.

37 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I always thought Ginter was a full back...can remember him playing for Germany in that position. Has he changed to CB in recent times?

Been around for ages so guessing he's in that 28-30 bracket.

Wonder if Chris Richards is worth a look? Bayern keep loaning him to Hoffenheim and he's playing regularly for top 6 regulars and another good young American player so that would appeal to our owners. Can't remember if he's a LCB though.

Yeah he’s been around for some time I had to double check his age at first! But yeah he used to play RB when he was at Freiburg and Dortmund. I think since he moved to Gladbach he moved more central.

Chris Richards is an interesting shout, I doubt Bayern will end up keeping him so I’d have a look at him definitely.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Just read on one of the player salary sites that Hause new contract makes him one of Villa’s highest paid players with £4.16m per year. I suspect they added a zero by mistake. Either that or his agent is a world class negotiator.

Read similar somewhere - had him listed as in £80k pw 😳… 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Wonder if Chris Richards is worth a look? 

Probably on a Summer Holiday somewhere, must be a Bachelor Boy. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

technical, movement, pace over short distances and excellent first touch, playing mainly around and in the 18 yard box or on the shoulder of the defender on a high line. 

Bizarrely a young Suarez comes to mind, that's why I think he'll end up here in the summer.  In fact I'd be surprised if he wasnt here at the start of the season. He's not the same player as he was when he was younger obviously so I'm not convinced but I wouldnt be surprised if Gerrard brought him in.

I dont think Watkins has many of those attributes, his game is very different to that.  Ings is closer but not the ideal fit.

Bang on the money here.

A false 9 would even be a better option than the type of game Watkins plays IMO.