Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

When I see this talk of a rebuild I wonder which players we will get and to what sums. So I checked some of the transfers season 21/22.

For example there are 24 players on the list of transfers that cost 30 million euro or more. We signed 3 of them. West Ham 2, Newcastle 2, Leicester 1 and Arsenal 2. The rest are CL-teams. There is big competition for these players. 

The top 11 of midfielders misses one of the best of them, Marcel Sabitzer. He would never have gone to us anyway.

#    player    Age    Nat.    Joined    Fee
1    Bruno Guimarães    24    Brazil    Newcastle United    €42.10m
2    Martin Ødegaard    22    Norway    Arsenal FC    €35.00m
3    Rodrigo de Paul    27    Argentina    Atlético de Madrid    €35.00m
4    Eduardo Camavinga    18    France    Real Madrid    €31.00m
5    Nikola Vlasic    23    Croatia    West Ham United    €30.00m
6    Joe Willock    21    England    Newcastle United    €29.40m
7    Enock Mwepu    23    Zambia    Brighton & Hove Albion    €23.00m
8    Weston McKennie    22    United States    Juventus FC    €20.50m
9    Boubakary Soumaré    22    France    Leicester City    €20.00m
10    Gerson    24    Brazil    Olympique Marseille    €20.00m
11    Rodrigo Bentancur    24    Uruguay    Tottenham Hotspur    €19.00m

3 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

When I see this talk of a rebuild I wonder which players we will get and to what sums. So I checked some of the transfers season 21/22.

For example there are 24 players on the list of transfers that cost 30 million euro or more. We signed 3 of them. West Ham 2, Newcastle 2, Leicester 1 and Arsenal 2. The rest are CL-teams. There is big competition for these players. 

The top 11 of midfielders misses one of the best of them, Marcel Sabitzer. He would never have gone to us anyway.

#    player    Age    Nat.    Joined    Fee
1    Bruno Guimarães    24    Brazil    Newcastle United    €42.10m
2    Martin Ødegaard    22    Norway    Arsenal FC    €35.00m
3    Rodrigo de Paul    27    Argentina    Atlético de Madrid    €35.00m
4    Eduardo Camavinga    18    France    Real Madrid    €31.00m
5    Nikola Vlasic    23    Croatia    West Ham United    €30.00m
6    Joe Willock    21    England    Newcastle United    €29.40m
7    Enock Mwepu    23    Zambia    Brighton & Hove Albion    €23.00m
8    Weston McKennie    22    United States    Juventus FC    €20.50m
9    Boubakary Soumaré    22    France    Leicester City    €20.00m
10    Gerson    24    Brazil    Olympique Marseille    €20.00m
11    Rodrigo Bentancur    24    Uruguay    Tottenham Hotspur    €19.00m

Who’s talking rebuild?

12 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Rebuild/overhaul. If seen it many times as something we need to do this summer.

Interesting. Not doubting you, just haven’t frequented this thread enough to see said posts. Can we even afford a rebuild/overhaul? Do we even need one? Surely it’s just people being melodramatic. Personally, it seems like a terrible idea to even consider a rebuild/overhaul of the team. 

Edited by Aston_Villan4

3 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Interesting. Not doubting you, just haven’t frequented this thread enough to see said posts. Can we even afford a rebuild/overhaul? Do we even need one? Surely it’s just people being melodramatic. Personally, it seems like a terrible idea to even consider a rebuild/overhaul of the team. 

The rebuild is suggested as an excuse for the new manager. We are one of the biggest spenders in the league in the last 3 seasons

• Like 4

Just now, Zatman said:

The rebuild is suggested as an excuse for the new manager. We are one of the biggest spenders in the league in the last 3 seasons

Yeah I figured so. In my head I was thinking that has to mean a new manager would be involved if a rebuild did end up happening.

Our biggest problem stems from the midfield. We can't control games and we have a real lack of leadership in there.

We can spend £200m on attacking players and we'll end up with the same results as we are now.

I think we are 3 players (2 CM's and a CB) away from being a Top 8 team. That has to be the focus in the summer.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If we do a rebuild then it is an absolute failure from the club

No, the failure would be if we did not rebuild. We have been following the fiddle/trim around the edges system and it is clear we will never break into the top 6/8 doing this. If the need for new players - I think four so not wholesale - is rejected then mid-table obscurity will be our reward. If we are aiming to be a top 6 club then Mings, McGinn & Sanson are not good enough with doubts over Luiz, Watkins and perhaps Cash. 

• Confused 3

13 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Our biggest problem stems from the midfield. We can't control games and we have a real lack of leadership in there.

We can spend £200m on attacking players and we'll end up with the same results as we are now.

I think we are 3 players (2 CM's and a CB) away from being a Top 8 team. That has to be the focus in the summer.

I agree with this but would add a striker to the list of requirements.

2 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

No, the failure would be if we did not rebuild. We have been following the fiddle/trim around the edges system and it is clear we will never break into the top 6/8 doing this. If the need for new players - I think four so not wholesale - is rejected then mid-table obscurity will be our reward. If we are aiming to be a top 6 club then Mings, McGinn & Sanson are not good enough with doubts over Luiz, Watkins and perhaps Cash. 

We are a million miles from challenging the top 6. a rebuild is no guarantee and the owners will be fuming if they have to sanction a 2nd rebuild in 3 years. Purslow will be dumped as this was not what they signed up for 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

We are a million miles from challenging the top 6. a rebuild is no guarantee and the owners will be fuming if they have to sanction a 2nd rebuild in 3 years. Purslow will be dumped as this was not what they signed up for 

Nothing is ever guaranteed in life. So your view is to attempt nothing because we may fail ? Laugh, you couldn’t make it up. More like our owners will be fuming if those they employ do nothing just in case they fail: it’s people like this that would be dumped. 

53 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Exactly, a full on rebuild would make us second to man city in total spend for the last 4 seasons. Would set us up for another MON like plummet whenever Steven left as well. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Nothing is ever guaranteed in life. So your view is to attempt nothing because we may fail ? Laugh, you couldn’t make it up. More like our owners will be fuming if those they employ do nothing just in case they fail: it’s people like this that would be dumped. 

When did he said do nothing? That’s just going from one extreme to the other. Why can’t we just continue developing the path we’ve chosen? Sign a few new guys in the summer that would fit the system Gerrard is trying to implement and see how that goes. We don’t toss things out the window the second they don’t seem to be working.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

When did he said do nothing? That’s just going from one extreme to the other. Why can’t we just continue developing the path we’ve chosen? Sign a few new guys in the summer that would fit the system Gerrard is trying to implement and see how that goes. We don’t toss things out the window the second they don’t seem to be working.

Let’s get things in order. He wrote “we are a million miles from challenging the top 6.” I think this is true hence the need to improve our club - mid-table mediocrity is not acceptable. Hopefully we all agree on this. So how do we bring about improvement? He put forward no recommended actions just “a rebuild is no guarantee and our owners will be fuming if they have to sanction …..”. So no ideas on how to improve were put forward combined with a fear of failure. I see no hope in this approach. 
The issue is not about bringing in ‘a few guys to fit Gerrard’s system’ or tossing anything out of the window. It is about improving our squad over a short time - say no more than 2 seasons. Bringing in 3 or 4 players to improve us is not wholesale changes just part of a plan to improve. At one time I believe we had only one player good enough to play in a top 4/6 team - Martinez. We now have Coutinho and Digne to add to the list - and, I hope, Buendia will join this list. We now need to continue this work.

24 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

I would rather we built a team rather than a rebuild, which always ends up moving back to square 1 just with a massive bill to worry about on top

So we are debating semantics now? Rebuild is build where you start by using sound ‘foundations’ already in place. The issue is really over how long you take in your building because, if you are too slow, so called big clubs will poach your best players as you develop them - hence you never reach your target of top 4/6. I think the best action is to combine developing youth with new purchases filling positions as necessary.

17 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Let’s get things in order. He wrote “we are a million miles from challenging the top 6.” I think this is true hence the need to improve our club - mid-table mediocrity is not acceptable. Hopefully we all agree on this. So how do we bring about improvement? He put forward no recommended actions just “a rebuild is no guarantee and our owners will be fuming if they have to sanction …..”. So no ideas on how to improve were put forward combined with a fear of failure. I see no hope in this approach. 
The issue is not about bringing in ‘a few guys to fit Gerrard’s system’ or tossing anything out of the window. It is about improving our squad over a short time - say no more than 2 seasons. Bringing in 3 or 4 players to improve us is not wholesale changes just part of a plan to improve. At one time I believe we had only one player good enough to play in a top 4/6 team - Martinez. We now have Coutinho and Digne to add to the list - and, I hope, Buendia will join this list. We now need to continue this work.

Why don’t you ask him what he proposes to do instead of assume he’s implying we do nothing? 

So you’re not talking about a rebuild either. I’m confused by what you’re advocating here and there seems to be some miscommunication on what people mean by “a rebuild.”