Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think it's necessarily a case of Emery is happy with olsen but he'll definitely know what the market is like and who else is out there, if the answer is not a fat lot then he's going to support the guy he's got

We're not going to spend 20m + on a back up keeper who may turn out to be worse than we've already got!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kingman said:

I honestly think that no-one hates him and will back him when called upon. 

Folks just stating the obvious that he's a massive downgrade and a liability 

Unfortunately I can't agree, I think they'll always be some who won't back him, you can clearly hear the moans and groans from the stands when he's playing, he surely must hear it too and this can't be good for his confidence. 

During the warm up at Brighton away, he was practicing coming for crosses with the GK coach, some bloke shouted 'YOU CAN F*****G CATCH THEN YOU CLOWN?' He definitely heard it, hardly anyone in the stands at that point, and the blokes  around the culprit were laughing their heads off. 

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But thats the point  stan. You dont have to be a "top" keeper to be better than olsen. Olsens a very bad keeper. Traces of nyland mark 2. You can see when he is in goal our defence is shakey and panicky.  We need a keeper like steer who isnt injury prone to be our number 2

He's not top notch, and the drop off to Emi is sizeable, but I think many are expecting some mythical keeper to come that doesn't have notable weaknesses to their game, and be content to rarely play.

We don't watch any of the other reserve keepers play, mainly because a lot of them at other teams haven't played a competitive game in ages.

Anyone called upon to play after sitting on the sidelines for months is going to be rusty. At least Olsen has had a good amount of time and a pre season with Unai and the coaches.

I think people simply think "anyone but Olsen" is the solution.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

Unfortunately I can't agree, I think they'll always be some who won't back him, you can clearly hear the moans and groans from the stands when he's playing, he surely must hear it too and this can't be good for his confidence. 

During the warm up at Brighton away, he was practicing coming for crosses with the GK coach, some bloke shouted 'YOU CAN F*****G CATCH THEN YOU CLOWN?' He definitely heard it, hardly anyone in the stands at that point, and the blokes  around the culprit were laughing their heads off. 

While that is definitely shitty behaviour and counter-productive to our success, as a professional, and especially as a goalkeeper, he should have enough confidence and thick enough skin to not let one idiot from the crowd get to him. This is evidence of a weak mentality and is exactly what put paid to El Ghazi's career in the prem too. You need players who are more robust mentally than that. 

Just now, StanBalaban said:

He's not top notch, and the drop off to Emi is sizeable, but I think many are expecting some mythical keeper to come that doesn't have notable weaknesses to their game, and be content to rarely play.

We don't watch any of the other reserve keepers play, mainly because a lot of them at other teams haven't played a competitive game in ages.

Anyone called upon to play after sitting on the sidelines for months is going to be rusty. At least Olsen has had a good amount of time and a pre season with Unai and the coaches.

I think people simply think "anyone but Olsen" is the solution.

No, I think people are arguing that we need a keeper who is more comfortable on the ball than Olsen, as it's a big part of how the system functions. Olsen has a tendency to throw the defensive line out of whack because he's not particularly comfortable on the ball or receiving it. 

• Thanks 1

Villa are in the best position that we've been in for many years and our future is vibrant and exciting, and yet I come on VT every day and my experience is often spoilt by negative and often disparaging comments which are repeated over and over again.

If one of the worlds best coaches /managers Unai Emery thinks that Olsen is able to fill the second keeper position, then why are some of us rubbishing his decision? UE's comments may be made as a confidence boost to Robin Olsen and he may well still keep his options open, but RO is a committed Villa player who does not deserve to be rubbished on a daily basis.

• Like 1

it will be a big vote of confidence in olsen if emery starts him today as we are in with a shot of winning the summer series. I think if he plays a part today he will do a lot better than his apppearance last time, he seemed to grow into the game which is good

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ok so neither of us can do that because he hasnt played much for us to know for certain however 

lets phrase the questIon in a different way. Olsen is 33 and heaton in his playing career is a much better keeper than olsen is. Lets even take 32 or even 31. Heaton was and is the far superior keeper.

Heatons 37 and i bet olsen will be even worse at that age. The guys a nyland mark 2. Always a mistake in him (as per shown in the newcastle game a few games ago)

Continue to support him but dont be complaining on him when he gets his chance and makes mistakes like stevange 

Martinez fired a pretty crook pass that first half too.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lexicon said:

No, I think people are arguing that we need a keeper who is more comfortable on the ball than Olsen, as it's a big part of how the system functions. Olsen has a tendency to throw the defensive line out of whack because he's not particularly comfortable on the ball or receiving it. 

That's fair, but maybe now that Unai has had time to work with him, he's happy enough that he's adequate as cover.

I'll say again that it's not an easy position to fill. A keeper good enough to slot in when needed, but simultaneously happy to sit on the bench. Not many to choose from, which explains Heaton and Carson being at top teams.

For backup goalkeepers, you're not going to get someone who is both a strong shot-stopper and adept at playing out from the back at a Premier League level. If they had those capabilities, they're not going to be a backup goalkeeper. It's a pipe dream.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:

That's fair, but maybe now that Unai has had time to work with him, he's happy enough that he's adequate as cover.

I'll say again that it's not an easy position to fill. A keeper good enough to slot in when needed, but simultaneously happy to sit on the bench. Not many to choose from, which explains Heaton and Carson being at top teams.

As I said earlier, we'll have to defer to him because he knows more than all of us and I do agree that it's difficult to find the right player here. The drop off is massive, though, and it's definitely a concern. 

Just now, wishywashy said:

For backup goalkeepers, you're not going to get someone who is both a strong shot-stopper and adept at playing out from the back at a Premier League level. If they had those capabilities, they're not going to be a backup goalkeeper. It's a pipe dream.

Very true - but I think that one who can play out well from the back is more of a priority here, and that Olsen's not a good enough shot-stopper to mitigate his weakness on the ball. 

Just watched highlights of all the goals Villa have conceded while Olsen has been on the pitch (yes I'm bored 😅) and to my reckoning there were no 'howlers'. Probably 2 or 3 he should have done better with like the Stevenage winner at his near post, Utd's 4th in the Carabao last season and a poor pass that led to a Utd goal. The worst mistake where he dropped a simple ball at Brentford actually went unpunished! There were some good saves too though.

I think there's probably an association though with him being on the pitch for some bad results like Stevenage, the Man City collapse and Newcastle away which I don't think is completely fair when there were other reasons why we lost.

• Thanks 1

It’s not if Olsen was world class and his form recently dipped.  He struggled at Roma and Sheffield United. He’s making a living off the fact he is the Sweden #1 - something Emery alluded to in the press conference. 

Â