Lucas Digne

villan-scott

Anyone saying that isn't a penalty is just biased (which is fine).  Digne dallies on clearing it, March gets there, plays the ball against Digne and Digne, as a result, then boots his leg.

I don't understand how there's any confusion around that.  You can't just boot a players' leg without playing the ball.

47 minutes ago, Tayls said:

How was it a pen though when he was literally in the process of striking the ball before the other blokes foot got in the way. 

How was ours a pen then? Dunk was in the process of sliding for the ball and McGinn's feet got in the way. Should never have been a penalty for us. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

How was ours a pen then? Dunk was in the process of sliding for the ball and McGinn's feet got in the way. 

Utterly different - Dunk slide in recklessly at the angle McGinn was running towards. That’s a foul. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

How was ours a pen then? Dunk was in the process of sliding for the ball and McGinn's feet got in the way. 

Different scenario.  McGinn had possession of the ball before the tackle, March didn't.

Just now, The_Steve said:

Utterly different - Dunk slide in recklessly at the angle McGinn was running towards. That’s a foul. 

McGinn just made sure he got there first and poked the ball away.

They both should've been penalties.  I reckon the Digne one wasn't given because of the "high bar" more than anything else.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

That is a pen. No doubt.

No surprise VAR came to the wrong decision.

Nice to steal one for once.

This.

Honestly, I know we're biased on here, but it's as much a penalty as the grass is green. There is absolutely zero doubt it's a penalty, and quite a nasty foul actually (albeit accidental). 

It was 100% a pen.

But that doesn't take away from Digne's performance, which was excellent.

Shockingly this very good player we've signed looks like a very good player when he hasn't got a clown of a manager in charge

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

McGinn just made sure he got there first and poked the ball away.

They both should've been penalties.  I reckon the Digne one wasn't given because of the "high bar" more than anything else.

Digne's wasn't given because VAR isn't interested in giving the right decision, it's interested in protecting the referees initial decision. 
Still, even I'm surprised Digne's wasn't given. It's as clear as day. 

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Different scenario.  McGinn had possession of the ball before the tackle, March didn't.

Yes he did, he nicked it off him. He got there before Digne did regardless of whether he'd have gone on to keep possession of the ball. 

McGinn wouldn't have got to the ball had Dunk not taken him out, he'd over hit it. Doesn't mean it isn't a penalty. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was 100% a pen.

But that doesn't take away from Digne's performance, which was excellent.

Shockingly this very good player we've signed looks like a very good player when he hasn't got a clown of a manager in charge

I thought he was very good too yesterday tbf. 

He has the transfer fee, age profile and 168,000 a week hanging over his head, but as long as he keeps putting in good performances, then I'm fine with it!

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

These are not the same 

spacer.png

The thing is, they sort of are.

McGinn knows that Dunk is sliding in and that he needs to get the ball first before being fouled.  March can see Digne has dallied on clearing the ball and needs to nip in to play the ball in order to be fouled.

Look where the ball is going for McGinn and where the ball ends up for March.  Neither player is getting an opportunity to do anything with the ball - but both have made sure they poke it away before they get clattered.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

The thing is, they sort of are.

McGinn knows that Dunk is sliding in and that he needs to get the ball first before being fouled.  March can see Digne has dallied on clearing the ball and needs to nip in to play the ball in order to be fouled.

Looks where the ball is going for McGinn and where the ball ends up for March.  Neither player is getting an opportunity to do anything with the ball - but both have made sure they get clattered.

Finally, someone else who gets it!

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Anyone saying that isn't a penalty is just biased (which is fine).  Digne dallies on clearing it, March gets there, plays the ball against Digne and Digne, as a result, then boots his leg.

I don't understand how there's any confusion around that.  You can't just boot a players' leg without playing the ball.

How about if the reason you kick that person's leg is because they are flying into your body out of control in a way that is imminently about to take out your whole body, the very reason they end up on the floor.

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

How about if the reason you kick that person's leg is because they are flying into your body out of control in a way that is imminently about to take out your whole body, the very reason they end up on the floor.

"Imminently about to take out your whole body"  Poor Lucas must have been terrified! :D

Ultimately, I don't think it matters.  If someone gets to the ball before you do and you end up kicking them, then you've fouled them.  It's Digne's fault for taking so long to clear the ball and he should have been punished.

As I said in the match thread, we got a similar penalty against Wolves a few years back where Karl Henry (I think) took his time clearing the ball, Darren Bent nipped in and Henry just booted Bent.  Penalty.  Because he just kicked a player and not the ball.  It shouldn't not be given because Henry (or Digne) were too slow.  That's on them.

I struggle to understand how people think it shouldn't be a penalty.  I'm delighted it wasn't given, but I'd be calling for that every single day of the week if it happened against Villa.

Edit:  I've looked it up and it was Christophe Berra!  Karl Henry was sent off in the same game (again, for kicking a player).

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

He wasn't out of control. He nicked the ball off Digne who had taken a loose first touch and drew a pretty nasty foul. As did McGinn. It's a penalty (and you know it ;-))

Â