Africa Cup Of Nations

gwi1890

38 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

One for the forgotten players thread but think Steven Caulker is playing for Sierra Leone now, read an interview with him the other day. Played for England v Sweden in 2012 when Zlatan scored those 4 goals.

Already there 😉

2 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

The lack of quality in the AFCON so far as been really noticeable. This Algeria/Sierra Leone game as been pretty awful viewing. 

I dont think any of them played a warm up game to prepare as the European clubs released the players as late as possible 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

At least it has a sensible structure of 16 teams and then  quarter finals. The euros is 24 to 16 and the copa america 12 to 8.

Euros are planning to expand to 32 in 2028 😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Really where did you get that from? That's basically the entire continent.

Was something mentioned in the press last week as Ireland and UK preparing a joint bid

24 is crazy enough. Nearly the stage to see a Germany vs San Marino group stage game at Wembley 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MachoFantastico said:

The lack of quality in the AFCON so far as been really noticeable. This Algeria/Sierra Leone game as been pretty awful viewing. 

Its always the same. Very few decent games in AFCON. I'm surprised African nations haven't kicked on since Cameroon in '90, Nigeria in '94 etc. They seem to have stagnated. 

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

32 to 16 works though no extra games from 24 to 16 and Scotland Wales N Ireland and Eire have a better chance of qualifying.

More TV games so better for us I am happy with that.

You want tournaments to be quality though. 32 will massively dilute that. You'll end up with 8 groups of 4, with 2 good teams and 2 average teams. The group stages will be a procession.

It wasn't long ago that the Euros were only 8 teams! :D 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

You want tournaments to be quality though. 32 will massively dilute that. You'll end up with 8 groups of 4, with 2 good teams and 2 average teams. The group stages will be a procession.

It wasn't long ago that the Euros were only 8 teams! :D 

In theory yes but there is always the underdog to cheer against the established teams so I am happy enough.   

It might stop players declaring for other nations Grealish and Rice for instance if they can  play on the same stage.  Germany converted Polish and Turks too.

Gives those players at smaller clubs the chance to shine and be snapped up.

I remember 8 team Euros and England were always shite!

Wins breed confidence look at Wales in 2012.

32 European nations battling it out would be a higher quality than the World Cup.  Just my opinion.

Edited by S-Platt

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont think any of them played a warm up game to prepare as the European clubs released the players as late as possible 

Gives an idea of standard of world cup later this year as think premier league are planning a full round of games the week before it starts.

3 hours ago, S-Platt said:

32 to 16 works though no extra games from 24 to 16 and Scotland Wales N Ireland and Eire have a better chance of qualifying.

More TV games so better for us I am happy with that.

They really just scrap qualifying if it ever goes up to 32, I presume top 3 in all groups will go through and then some of the 4th place teams go into play offs so group qualifying will be even more waste of time.

4 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Whilst I was never expecting anything special, this match between Sudan and Guinea-Bissau as been just awful. So far the whole AFCON as been a poor representation of African football. 

Only the opening game has had more than  one goal 

Â