Africa Cup Of Nations

gwi1890

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

At least it has a sensible structure of 16 teams and then  quarter finals. The euros is 24 to 16 and the copa america 12 to 8.

Except it doesn't. This year it is also 24 to 16.

Said it before elsewhere but I hate the non-divisible by 2^n number of teams format so much that's rather see a 32 team Euros and 64 team World Cup than 24 and 48 teams respectively. Obviously 16 and 32 is preferable but that ship has already sailed.

• Like 1

Just now, jacketspuds said:

Ref has blown the final whistle after 85 minutes in the Mali game.

Now sent off Toure for a slightly late tackle that tapped the player's ankle.

That was a ridiculous red, if  Toure was a ManU player he stays on 100%.🙄

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

And finishes game b4 90 mins, it's bent everywhere ffs.

Tunisia would probably be the bigger footvall power as well which will make suspicions of matchfixing be taken a bit more serious 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Tunisia would probably be the bigger footvall power as well which will make suspicions of matchfixing be taken a bit more serious 

Mali have never lost an opener at the Afcon, plenty mo idea on it I'd say, get a ref to make sure it happens 👌

Didn't watch it tbh so no idea how it played out re the ref.

I'll preface this by saying that AFCON should absolutely be respected, is an important international competition and doesn't deserve the scorn it gets sometimes with fans thinking players should just pull out of it, but I can't help think that every tournament something happens which makes the AFC and all the articles about how AFCON is disrespected look like the Alliance of Magicians.

eipugIu.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Oh. Making group stages in any football tournament  pointless appears to be  a worldwide effort.

Weirdly the 24 team format at the Euros won me over last summer.  Yes, 66% of the teams in the groups will qualify for the knockouts instead of 50%, it’s not as ‘neat’ on that front but the flip side is you don’t get dead rubbers on match day 3 because teams still have a shot.  The drama of Scotland or the Germany/Portugal/Hungary situation  wouldn’t have happened if nothing was at stake in the final game.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

And people wonder why the tournament isn’t taken overly seriously outside of Africa.

Teams going back out on to the pitch to play the minute that should have been played earlier, wtf.

I saw something similar happen at Villa once vs Celta Vigo.  It was about 20 years ago and we were playing the home leg at The Hawthorns but the ref had an absolute shocker. He was giving throw ins the wrong way, decided to try and book everyone on the pitch, sent at least three people off and blew the final whistle after 88 minutes despite the fact there was an enormous clock on the scoreboard which literally everybody in the stadium could see. 

• Like 1

Watching the hghlights in a mo, but I started with this video below which is just the "chaos" at the close of the match, not match highlights. Still though, this is one of the most (possibly) corrupt things i have ever seen in football. Nobody can be that incompetent surely. To make such an unforgiveable, elementary mistake as to get the time wrong..... and twice? Aparently after a few stoppages in the game too?

And they had to ask the fourth official to referee the added on time 20 mins later????? 🤔 What about the original ref? Did he leave the stadium? Did he refuse to officiate? I hope someone looks into this. Genuine mistakes or entirely intentional... 

Â