Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, TRO said:

So, we are castigating him, now.....prior to games not even played.....thats seems fair.

Just as some people have said we’ve turned the corner after one draw before other games have been played.  Same thing!

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The support for him was loud and clear on Saturday

We support 100% during game time, but criticise outside game time.  I don’t understand how people don’t get this is what happens.  It’s about the collective and unity during games.  I sing SG name when the chant roars as many do, but outside the game I want him gone.  I’m not going to risk the score on game time being negative until there is no choice.  This shouldn’t be mistaken for support for SG generally.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't think I am, the first column is 'MP' which refers to 'Matches Played' and this shows 6. That mean there are 32 games remaining and 96 points still to play for. Knowing the squad we have, that suggests to me no threat of relegation 

Run rate of points this season and if you want extended into last season suggests otherwise.

1 minute ago, El Segundo said:

The problem with your stance is it ignores the fact he's already had 30+ games to try and prove he can do the job.  All he's shown in that time is that he can't, not to the standard required.  He's also shown he hasn't learned, and we have been in near-relegation or relegation form for the bulk of his time in charge.  Basing your case on the fact we're only 6 games into the season is rather blinkered bearing in mind the trajectory,  performances and results under the whole of Gerrard's reign.  What do you think is going to change, after 30 odd games?

The squad should be good enough to stay up, sure, but then they should have been good enough for top 10 last season, but under Gerrard they failed miserably to get near that.   I do wonder if you and others would be so generous with Villa's time and future for a lower profile Manager.  

It is not blinkered nor ignoring the fact that he has been manager for 32 games and what the results have been like. There are two discussion points at the moment 1) Suggestion we will be relegated and 2) Is SG good enough

1) I believe there is no chance we will be relegated and as I have said in the last few pages, it is because we are only 6 games into this season. We can only be relegated on points for a given season, hence it is futile to include last season's games. With 32 games to play we have lots of time to improve. Yes, the current run rate is not good enough and when u include last season's run rate (valid to include now), it doesn't look like we are improving. Even at that, we are still on about a point per game which would normally be enough to avoid relegation. So our current and previous season's run rate has us at the borderline and not being cut adrift. Just about everyone agrees that the squad is better than its performance and that SG is the problem. On that basis and considering we are currently on a point per game, I see no risk of relegation as Purslow can sack SG and bring in a new manager.

2) I don't know whether SG is good enough or not but I do know he is a novice manager and has only managed 32 games in the PL. I don't want the club to waste the last 10 months investment in him and replace him without giving him a chance this season. We could live to regret that. I want to see SG staying with us for the next 5 or 6 weeks to see if he can demonstrate improvement. If he can't then he should be fired.

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We support 100% during game time, but criticise outside game time.  I don’t understand how people don’t get this is what happens.  It’s about the collective and unity during games.  I sing SG name when the chant roars as many do, but outside the game I want him gone.  I’m not going to risk the score on game time being negative until there is no choice.  This shouldn’t be mistaken for support for SG generally.

I certainly don't get it. Page one of this thread has you giving 100% backing to Gerrard as our manager.

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I know the stats. I just don't believe there is any chance we will go down this season. If things don't improve we will replace SG and I believe our squad is very capable of avoiding relegation. I am surprised that people actually think we are at risk of going down this year, but hey, each to their own

I agree with most of your posts Peter and I'm an optimist by nature, but I disagree with you when you say that we "are at no risk of relegation". You say if things don't improve we will replace Gerrard and I agree with that, but the rest is supposition. We don't know at what stage this may or may not happen and we don't know how successful our search for a better manager might be.

Until this transfer window I would have happily put my trust in NSWE to recognise the moment and the manager to put things right (because things are very wrong currently despite one battling performance against City). The fact that Purslow may have a vested interest in terms of his reputation in allowing Gerrard extra time to make positive changes, begs the question as to whether NSWE will over rule him quickly enough in the event of positive changes being delayed.

If we continue to play the same tippy tappy possession style in front of organised low block defences against so called lesser teams, we will be beaten on a regular basis by goals against us from quick breaks into space behind absent full backs. Our defence isn't strong enough or organised enough to play "Gerrard" football imo, and our attackers are ineffective playing in front of low block defences. Changes need to be made quickly to our shape and tactics or we are going to fail to get the points we need to move away from the relegation zone.

In my opinion we are at risk of going down this season until the changes that have to be made are successfully implemented. 

40 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree completely but I’ll never sing Stevie G’s name. Just don’t like him. 

39 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just as some people have said we’ve turned the corner after one draw before other games have been played.  Same thing!

I think you will find, its HOPING we have turned the corner....subtle difference Nick.....If some say we have, then thats premature IMO.

However, I think, you will agree, the atmosphere in the stadium, certainly helped us, thats what positivity brings.

That incident where, Young tackled De Bruyne......I haven't seen that desire, and fiestyness, for ages.

I saw enough to tell me, he certainly hasn't lost the players.

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I agree with most of your posts Peter and I'm an optimist by nature, but I disagree with you when you say that we "are at no risk of relegation". You say if things don't improve we will replace Gerrard and I agree with that, but the rest is supposition. We don't know at what stage this may or may not happen and we don't know how successful our search for a better manager might be.

Until this transfer window I would have happily put my trust in NSWE to recognise the moment and the manager to put things right (because things are very wrong currently despite one battling performance against City). The fact that Purslow may have a vested interest in terms of his reputation in allowing Gerrard extra time to make positive changes, begs the question as to whether NSWE will over rule him quickly enough in the event of positive changes being delayed.

If we continue to play the same tippy tappy possession style in front of organised low block defences against so called lesser teams, we will be beaten on a regular basis by goals against us from quick breaks into space behind absent full backs. Our defence isn't strong enough or organised enough to play "Gerrard" football imo, and our attackers are ineffective playing in front of low block defences. Changes need to be made quickly to our shape and tactics or we are going to fail to get the points we need to move away from the relegation zone.

In my opinion we are at risk of going down this season until the changes that have to be made are successfully implemented. 

Okay, maybe no risk of relegation is not correct, there is always some risk as we don't know what will happen and we could sack SG and replace him with worse. My assertion that we are at no risk of relegation is that I don't believe there is any likelihood will will go down just as I don't believe there is any chance I will fall and break my arm today albeit that could happen. I am not a gambler but I would be happy to bet that we don't get relegated this season as I think it would be money in the bank. The last line of your comment adds to why I can't see us going down. Purslow won't let us, he will sack SG first and the changes that have to be made would be made.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I have to say Nick, that's an unusual stance for me.

• Shout for him in the ground
  • and want him gone outside it.

but hey ho.....we all have our ways.

I accept all the criticisms aimed at the play, this season and some of last.....but where I differ from you is, I don't think its is all on the manager, some of it yes.

I didn't think it was all on Dean Smith either.

Hoewever, if eventually, the manager can't get the players to play, it usually ends one way.

51 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

After our really bad start to the season.if we are going to finish top half ( and that is the remit for SG ) then we need to start now.

It does appear we did start on Saturday, it is now up to SG to show he can continue on from Sat and push forward

• Like 1

Just on the chances of a Villa relegation this season. The bookies have 8 teams (40% of the league) as shorter odds than Villa for the drop: Leeds, Wolves, Saints, Fulham, Everton, Leicester, Forest and Bournemouth. 

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

24 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

I certainly don't get it. Page one of this thread has you giving 100% backing to Gerrard as our manager.

I did give 100% backing despite my concerns as I said. Only the past 10 months those concerns have not been allayed at all, in fact got worse so now while I give him 100% backing during games still whether at the ground for home games or on tv for away games…outside games I want him gone.  I’m not sure where that has confused you.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Things were far different before the draw. I'll stick to my view, others can obviously change there's, but I am confident they will regret it!

As for winning this winning that, it's all conjecture, we have still won 3 in 15 under Gerrard, at the moment that hasn't changed. A win against Leicester won't change a thing, they are useless. Southampton is a team we should be beating, but because of this 'learner' in charge I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

....but Bournemouth shouldn't be beating Forest away on form or Brentford ripping a strip off United....even the pundits can't put a finger on Utds return to form.

There are no easy games in this league, and the hard ones, approached right, can gain something, too, as we showed Saturday......we have now given Man City a fright 3 times under SG, but who wants to report that.

We need to win games.....its as simple and concise as that......The predictions, positive and negative, are pointless( pardon the pun) just entertainment.

I think that last game, will have altered the mood around B6, and that in itself is positive.

We can all make references to a narrative we want to follow and they all have credence......but it all comes down to winning games, which decides which narrative, is the right one.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I agree completely but I’ll never sing Stevie G’s name. Just don’t like him. 

I have no issue with him as a person, in fact I loved him as a player.  I just think he’s a rubbish manager for us.  At the games, I just want to support the team and generate atmosphere so I just sing the chants as much as I can.  I guess I try to take the people out of the chant and just include the passion.  I think some on here take that support as support for the manager, it’s not even when I know many like me sing that chant for SG but want him gone, it’s for the atmosphere not the manager plus we don’t have as many chants as we used to have when I stood in the old Holte so we are limited.  We used to have a chant for each player, now we try but we only have a handful of unique player chants.

Â