Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

58 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Conceding early has become a real problem. We rarely did that last season, in fact then we often went ahead early.

It is an odd one, we had a great defensive record last season and in fact Emi kept a lot of clean sheets and was challenging our record for clean sheets in a season. I can't put my finger on why though.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

And lost a lot from winning positions - there’s a mental weakness in the squad that neither manager has fully addressed. Hence why we are in for a big summer overhaul. 

But last season we rarely lost from winning positions. Its nearly the same front 8 as last season except Targett and Barkley so I dont buy this mental weakness

I am also not crediting Barkley for anything 😛

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Prob because they were fighting relegation. Where we were he might have been tempted 

If it doesnt work out with gerrard this is the calibre of manager we need to be looking at.  No more gambles

Yep - I think we have reached a ceiling of well funding sub standard managers. It has to be a guy proven at the levels we are aspiring too. 

5 minutes ago, NeilS said:

It is an odd one, we had a great defensive record last season and in fact Emi kept a lot of clean sheets and was challenging our record for clean sheets in a season. I can't put my finger on why though.

Terry left before the start of the season.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Is anyone else seeing a floating head with 3D glasses on over a rose bush or just me?

Roses have thorns, that prick you, so based on that I just see a rose bush with a prick coming out of it with glasses on 😉😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

I'm not sure how many times he can do an interview and say the players aren't responding / good enough / have to work harder until they all just say go f yourself, not a great position to be in really.

I couldn't believe he said it after Saturday.  The players ran themselves into the ground in that first half. The Match was Energy V Technique.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

I'm not sure how many times he can do an interview and say the players aren't responding / good enough / have to work harder until they all just say go f yourself, not a great position to be in really.

also whats the point if he basically plays the same players, if he believes that why doesnt he try some of the other players that are waiting to get game time.  Fringe players I assume will be saying "give me a chance" if you believe that and then dont get the chance and the current XI will basically carry on because they dont get dropped.  I know we have to wait for the summer for changes but we dont have just 11 good players, we have others that can come in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

I couldn't believe he said it after Saturday.  The players ran themselves into the ground in that first half. The Match was Energy V Technique.

plus professional elite players shouldnt all be shagged after 45 minutes.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yeah but thats 45 minutes they worked hard. How many times under biesla have we seen that work rate for 90 minutes for leeds

I we saw this under smith too at times dropping off due to unable to conpete for 45 mins. Its a big problem ans although gerrards been irritating me recently he has a point here i feel

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

plus professional elite players shouldnt all be shagged after 45 minutes.

I think its relative v the opposition. We expended a lot more energy in that first half then spurs - as were tired Spurs just breezed through us. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think its relative v the opposition. We expended a lot more energy in that first half then spurs - as were tired Spurs just breezed through us. 

Problem is that we only play 45 minutes against most teams so a common theme.

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah but thats 45 minutes they worked hard. How many times under biesla have we seen that work rate for 90 minutes for leeds

I we saw this under smith too at times dropping off due to unable to conpete for 45 mins. Its a big problem ans although gerrards been irritating me recently he has a point here i feel

The problem I have is that Leeds run at 100 mph all game so you can kind of understand it.    We aren’t like that, in fact sometimes I think we are quite a slow team and not masses of movement.  I understand we were better first half against Spurs but that was more about aggression which was great and better play, not a Leeds level of exertion.  We worked hard but imo not enough to be so tired second half, I think the early second gold just took the wind out of us mentally.

12 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Good reply can’t argue with any of that but could simply reply we will never know re.Dean v Thomas or Dean vGerrard?Yes it’s a slog this league and a massive step up and very few highlights when you are used to winning more than you lose.I can say it now we are pretty well safe that I prefer the championship and 1 more season will do for me in the PL.There’s no fun going into most of these games knowing you have about a 10% chance of getting even a draw.I’ve missed 2 games home and away and games at Spurs and Arsenal have been souless apart from our as you would expect great away support.Man city away on a Tuesday night like a library had better nights out at Carlisle.Everton and Villa park are my favourite grounds was my first time at Everton.Nottingham Forrest and Sheffield United take some beating for atmosphere.Leicester City have a drum and these stupid clappers the same as Fulham FFS and when their fans finally sung it was “premier league champions you’ll never sing that”to us Brentford 😃

You are spot on about Thomas Frank and sorting our defence out after Dean left and being more direct at times.

A

I think the Premier League is the only place to be.....pitting your wits against the best.

I accept the match day experience may be a little less stressful in the championship and the goals are more likely to flow, but it depends what floats your boat.

Personally, whilst I like offensive play, like the majority of fans......The defensive side of games intrigues me, and as I have got older as a fan, i see the significance of it, so much more.

I believe, all the best teams have a specific understanding of the importance of it....while retaining the popular focus of attacking......Getting that balance right, is key....right now defence is our nadir.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Problem is that we only play 45 minutes against most teams so a common theme.

I think too much is being made of that. I do agree it was the case v spurs though.

In general I think one 45 minutes being not being quite as bad as the other 45 minutes  is being taken that one of the 45 minutes is definitely good. The recent wolves and Arsenal games being a case in point. 

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

I think too much is being made of that. I do agree it was the case v spurs though.

In general I think one 45 minutes being not being quite as bad as the other 45 minutes  is being taken that one of the 45 minutes is definitely good. The recent wolves and Arsenal games being a case in point. 

True

Â