<Insert generation> console head to head

Davkaus

I've been a die-hard PC nerd for at least a decade, but I think WFH has killed it for me. The last thing I want to do is keep sitting at the same desk all evening after work. And the GPU shortage has kind of sealed the deal. So I might finally be turning into a console rocket polisher.

I'll be doing some research on exclusives, but what are people's thoughts so far between the PS5 and the XBox one x series x one x? Other than one of them having a bloody stupid name?

Don't @ me Nintendo fans, I'm not interested.You're embarrassing yourselves.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The shortest and easiest way of explaining it in my head is if you play online multiplayer and big multi platform annual releases then xbox, if you play big story driven single player games then playstation

The thing being the playstation also does the multiplayer and multi play games, xbox doesn't do the big story driven single player games... Xbox can't touch the quality of sonys exclusives, nowhere near them last gen and looking at least 2 years away from the first wave of games from their new studios this gen 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Dark Souls, all the Dooms or Skyrim while having a shit. That’s how Nintendo should advertise it. 

I have played all of those things several years ago at much higher graphics quality on my PC :P 

Tbf, graphics aren't the be all and end all, but I never had a Nintendo device when I was younger, so I just don't give a shit about Nintendo exclusives. Zelda, Mario? Meh. Never played them, don't care, and most third party games don't run on them. The third party games that do run are either several years behind, or hamstrung massively due to the hardware constraints. I'd take TLOU and Unchartered and various third party games over Zelda all day.

Edited by Davkaus

Sony has the exclusives, Xbox has Gamepass.

Although in both cases there's not really a killer game for the current gen yet. Some has a few good, maybe even great, games on the current console at least, the Xbox basically has nothing until Forza next month.

I guess it depends what type of games you enjoy. If you enjoy a lot of Bethesda's games, then get an Xbox. But if you enjoy the single player third person story driven game then get a Playstation.

Game Pass is the best value in gaming by a long stretch. 

I went Xbox last gen with the Xbox One and couldn't have regretted the decision more until I finally got a PS4 a couple of months back, Xbox Game Pass is brilliant and hopefully Sony figure out something actually equivalent soon but that's pretty much the only strength the Series X has on a PS5 at this point for me....not that its as easy as just getting one of either at the moment, they still seem rarer than a decent Villa Signing from Belgium hopefully they become more available soon

12 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I have played all of those things several years ago at much higher graphics quality on my PC :P 

Tbf, graphics aren't the be all and end all, but I never had a Nintendo device when I was younger, so I just don't give a shit about Nintendo exclusives. Zelda, Mario? Meh. Never played them, don't care, and most third party games don't run on them. The third party games that do run are either several years behind, or hamstrung massively due to the hardware constraints. I'd take TLOU and Unchartered and various third party games over Zelda all day.

Seems you really did your research :)

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, AXD said:

Seems you really did your research :)

Ha, I'm not saying they're not worth playing, but because I don't have the experiencew of playing them to know what I'm missing out on, they're not going to sell a console to me.

45 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Ha, I'm not saying they're not worth playing, but because I don't have the experiencew of playing them to know what I'm missing out on, they're not going to sell a console to me.

I'm not trying to sell you a switch, you should go for a PS

But There are at least 5 Zelda games that are significantly better than Unchartered. And whilst TLOU is fantastic, I'm not sure it would trouble the top 3 Zeldas.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

But There are at least 5 Zelda games that are significantly better than Unchartered. And whilst TLOU is fantastic, I'm not sure it would trouble the top 3 Zeldas.

those 5 games took 30 years to be released though ;) 

FWIW i agree, i dont doubt the quality of zelda or mario but they arent going to sell me a console, £300 to play 2 games...same old nintendo

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

1. Majora's Mask
2. Ocarina of Time
3. BOTW

the math checks out, I'd also put Windwaker, Twilight Princess and Link to the Past ahead of TLOU. I cant really fathom not wanting to at least try Zelda games but to each their own.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eidolon said:

I cant really fathom not wanting to at least try Zelda games but to each their own.

If they ran on any other device I'd try them out, but I'm not spending £300 to try out a game series I haven't played before. Just not worth the investment when the rest of the library is so limited.

Having said that I did read a few days ago that BotW runs pretty well on an emulator on PC, so I might give it a go, or I would if it wasn't for the danger and immorality of software piracy ;) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

If they ran on any other device I'd try them out, but I'm not spending £300 to try out a game series I haven't played before. Just not worth the investment when the rest of the library is so limited.

Having said that I did read a few days ago that BotW runs pretty well on an emulator on PC, so I might give it a go, or I would if it wasn't for the danger and immorality of software piracy ;) 

That's fair I've been hoarding their original platforms since I was tiny so didnt really think through that its probably more expensive to get into than i thought, I'd definitely recommend at least giving Majora's Mask a shake on emulator if you can find some kind of....less morally and legally dubiousness means to do so :P

2 hours ago, Eidolon said:

1. Majora's Mask
2. Ocarina of Time
3. BOTW

the math checks out, I'd also put Windwaker, Twilight Princess and Link to the Past ahead of TLOU. I cant really fathom not wanting to at least try Zelda games but to each their own.

I wouldn't have Majora's Mask in there personally. One of my least favourite

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I wouldn't have Majora's Mask in there personally. One of my least favourite

It seems to be pretty polarizing like that, its either one of your favourites or you just dont really care for it

• Like 1

The only Zelda game I played was Link's Awakening on the Game Boy. Even then I think most of the time I just messed about hoarding rupees in the first village by cutting grass and fishing. Don't think I got much further than the first egg I think? Been a long time. Might try the Switch version.

• Like 1

Â