Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 minute ago, Panto_Villan said:

Clearly Emery made the right decision sticking with Leon all last season, but I wonder what it was that made him do that. Was it the form he showed in Germany? Was he doing great things in training? Was he just willing to learn?

Or was he just the best option from a bad bunch, and eventually managed to play his way into form?

Either way the transformation has been incredible. He’s gone from one of our biggest disappointments in recent memory to one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Could be any of those things I guess. But Emery is the kinda guy who's watched our entire squad's entire career minutes, so could well have been his Bundesliga form 😂

39 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Clearly Emery made the right decision sticking with Leon all last season, but I wonder what it was that made him do that. Was it the form he showed in Germany? Was he doing great things in training? Was he just willing to learn?

Or was he just the best option from a bad bunch, and eventually managed to play his way into form?

Either way the transformation has been incredible. He’s gone from one of our biggest disappointments in recent memory to one of the first names on the teamsheet.

In fairness even SG ( Yes I know ) commented a few times that he was " The best trainer " or always one of the best trainers etc.

14 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Hope it's just a knock. Crucial for the goal again today.

He took a whack to the calf from Dias on Wednesday night and looked like he was struggling a bit. Adrenaline got him through the first 20 today but looked like everything caught up with him after that.

• Like 1

Just now, Pongo Waring said:

He's the real deal right now

He really is . One of the most effective wide attackers in world football at the moment. Don't forget he had that lob against Legia that was an inch from being over the line. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Never in my wildest dreams.... Did I think as a 9 year old Jamaican Villa fan... I'd see the day we were playing scintillating football, and challenging at the top... With a Jamaican player becoming an integral part of it all... It doesn't make any sort of logical sense 😂

In other news... Craig Butler has also just won Mona High, a team which have never won a competition, the Manning Cup ( Most covered schoolboy Cup ) their first ever trophy as Manager.

His players are also being taken straight from the Ghetto to the likes of Chelsea ( And us ), New York FC and a whole host of other teams, from Phoenix academy.

Good times in that camp after we have all been guilty of taking the piss at some point 

Man obviously knows a good player and knows his football, probs why he's so stubborn and passionate.

I say all that to say, at one point he said " Mark my words, Leon can become one of the best players in the world one day ".

I'm also on the celebration tequila so apologies if none of the above makes sense when I wake up tomorrow.

Chuffed he's turned it around mate, you always come across as an absolute top bloke on here btw!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nicho said:

We lost something when he went off, that Diaby didn’t replace 

Diaby's a clinical wide man in the mould of say Salah? That's the only comparison I can think of right now. As in intelligent play, intelligent movement, always looking for the right pass and right choice. He's pacey but he's not a dribbler.

Bailey is all about pace, dribbling and footwork. And his footwork is unbelievable at times. And his decision making is improving all the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Diaby's a clinical wide man in the mould of say Salah? That's the only comparison I can think of right now. As in intelligent play, intelligent movement, always looking for the right pass and right choice. He's pacey but he's not a dribbler.

Bailey is all about pace, dribbling and footwork. And his footwork is unbelievable at times. And his decision making is improving all the time.

Yep agree with that. They are different players and I’d love two more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Never in my wildest dreams.... Did I think as a 9 year old Jamaican Villa fan... I'd see the day we were playing scintillating football, and challenging at the top... With a Jamaican player becoming an integral part of it all... It doesn't make any sort of logical sense 😂

In other news... Craig Butler has also just won Mona High, a team which have never won a competition, the Manning Cup ( Most covered schoolboy Cup ) their first ever trophy as Manager.

His players are also being taken straight from the Ghetto to the likes of Chelsea ( And us ), New York FC and a whole host of other teams, from Phoenix academy.

Good times in that camp after we have all been guilty of taking the piss at some point 

Man obviously knows a good player and knows his football, probs why he's so stubborn and passionate.

I say all that to say, at one point he said " Mark my words, Leon can become one of the best players in the world one day ".

I'm also on the celebration tequila so apologies if none of the above makes sense when I wake up tomorrow.

Delighted for him, mate - he's been superb this season.

I dream of the day I get a Ukrainian player at Villa 😅

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Kin Hell you’re drinking tequila at the age of 9???? 

• Haha 4

Defenders have a hell of job dealing with Leon when he gets into that position - he's either cutting in to shoot, or he'll cut it back, but he's so quick and agile that he can feign one and do the other, or make several movements before making a decision. 

You'd hope that the people who were loathe to give him praise the first time he did it this season because he 'didn't look' or some nonsense will understand the error of their ways. 

Â