What is Anti-Semitism?

Jareth

40 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The issue isn't that Israeli activity doesn't create anti-Semitism. It's that that isn't legitimate, correct, justifiable.

Exactly this - and also, I would add one more thing, which is that said anti-semitism is also completely counter-productive to the supposed goals of most of the people engaging in it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Enda said:

I didn’t say they were slaves today, anymore than black people in America are slaves today. Slavery (abolished in the 1860s) is relevant to understanding today’s race relations in the United States, we can’t just ignore that history. Similarly, you can’t just ignore the effect of the pogroms or of course the Holocaust when thinking about Jews’ place in society.

My mistake - black Americans and black folks here in the UK have parity. Silly me.  

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Agree on that - problem is any criticism of Israel is immediately confused with antisemitism - it scares people. 

And are you helping to resolve that confusion, or are you creating more of it?

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

And are you helping to resolve that confusion, or are you creating more of it?

And does bending over backwards not to to be accused of antisemitism whilst held to a high bar of what that definition actually is - actually do anything other than prevent criticism of Israel? 

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Agree on that - problem is any criticism of Israel is immediately confused with antisemitism - it scares people. 

Which is why it's so very important to be absolutely clear on what you're criticising. 

• Like 4

Just now, Jareth said:

And does bending over backwards not to to be accused of antisemitism whilst held to a high bar of what that definition actually is - actually do anything other than prevent criticism of Israel? 

Yes, it absolutely does. If you cannot see how counter-productive being anti-semitic is in the effort to change Israeli government actions, I don't know how to help you.

Does being anti-semitic help engage Jewish people anywhere in the world who disagree with Israeli government actions? No.

Does being anti-semitic help engage non-Jewish people who don't want to be racist? No.

Does being anti-semitic help defenders of the current Israeli government, who would rather talk about issues like anti-semitism in the Labour party rather than talking about the Israeli government blowing up apartment buildings in Gaza for no good reason? Yes.

Seriously man, you need to have a long hard think about this, and stop trying to post your way through it.

• Like 3

Just now, Jareth said:

Funny you think you have to bend over backwards to be not be accused of antisemitism. I’ve never had that problem.

Look, Jews is London today are doing alright on average. Good for them. Just like lots of Chinese people are making waves in New York. It doesn’t mean there’s no discrimination or racism against Asians, and it definitely doesn’t mean that Jewish people should have no concerns about anti-semitism.

It’s the wishy-washy conflation of Jews and Israel that’s a problem. It’s the same problem as JFK having to explain his Catholicism and whether he secretly took orders from the Pope. These questions just shouldn’t happen.

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

My mistake - black Americans and black folks here in the UK have parity. Silly me.  

That’s your response to my comments, really?

Okay, good stuff 👍

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, it absolutely does. If you cannot see how counter-productive being anti-semitic is in the effort to change Israeli government actions, I don't know how to help you.

Does being anti-semitic help engage Jewish people anywhere in the world who disagree with Israeli government actions? No.

Does being anti-semitic help engage non-Jewish people who don't want to be racist? No.

Does being anti-semitic help defenders of the current Israeli government, who would rather talk about issues like anti-semitism in the Labour party rather than talking about the Israeli government blowing up apartment buildings in Gaza for no good reason? Yes.

Seriously man, you need to have a long hard think about this, and stop trying to post your way through it.

Christ - where is the actual antisemitism? Why are there a myriad of ways to be antisemitic but not Islamaphobic? Where is the discrimination in this country? This game is stitched up from the start - meanwhile there is a war developing and what makes the news on the BBC? Some dicks shouting abuse at people in Golders Green. It will never be possible to look at the issues in a cold hard light whilst faux offence is taken across the board. 

4 minutes ago, Enda said:

It’s the wishy-washy conflation of Jews and Israel that’s a problem.

Israel has an apartheid system that gives power to jewish people over its muslim minority. Why is that wishy-washy or offensive?

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Why are there a myriad of ways to be antisemitic but not Islamaphobic?

Do you see a difference between the two? One is a group of people and the other is a religion. One is being against a group of people and the other a fear of a religion.

And technically Arabs are semites too.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think for one moment that Corbyn is confused about this in the way you seem to be.

Yet he made jewish people leave Britain as they feared for their safety. 

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Israel has an apartheid system that gives power to jewish people over its muslim minority. Why is that wishy-washy or offensive?

I do not blame all Protestants, including those in Germany and Canada, for the sectarian allocation of public housing in Belfast.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Yet he made jewish people leave Britain as they feared for their safety. 

I don't know who you think this is helping, but it isn't helping you, it isn't helping me, and it isn't helping the reputation of left-wing politics in the eyes of anybody reading it, and I am begging you once again to stop, think, and move away from the keyboard.

I'm out. Please don't reply to this post.

Â