VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Just now, legov said:

Yeah you can still opt for free or subscription, subscription isn't too expensive too

I had an account waaaay back but I let the kids have it when new accounts were hard to get and now I guess I’ve lost it.

it was the only place you could get some really weird Alabama 3 shit that they didn’t even sell on their own website.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I had an account waaaay back but I let the kids have it when new accounts were hard to get and now I guess I’ve lost it.

it was the only place you could get some really weird Alabama 3 shit that they didn’t even sell on their own website.

Yeah well you can still give it a go now, like I said the free option's still there, and the subscription's pretty cheap anyway esp considering the amount of content you're getting.

A lot better than buying an entire CD just for a few tracks that's for sure.

Edited by legov

1 minute ago, legov said:

Yeah well you can still give it a go now, like I said the free option's still there

I’ve kind of deliberately regressed in to the whole slow pace and aesthetic of vinyl.

I’m sat here now, head phones on listening to an album that requires actual listening to and requires me to get off my lardy arse a minimum of once every 20 minutes and do something. The sort of whole engagement with it is quite nice, plus the thought that the artist possibly gets more than 0.00001 of a cent.

After that, download codes and Bandcamp stuff get put on a c and the c gets plugged in to the car.

I appreciate this isn’t ultra modern, and one of my kids did an uncontrollable laugh the other day when I offered to copy a stick of music for them ‘cos they’d liked something. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I was in a record shop earlier today, chatting shit about local gigs and album release dates and all that. It feels nice, supporting a job in a shop and getting to talk to someone. It’s just where I’m lucky enough to be at present, a little bit of money in my pocket, the ability to conjur up a little time for myself, and access to a nice town centre. All that, and the philosophy of use it or lose it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, legov said:

A lot better than buying an entire CD just for a few tracks that's for sure.

A lot better for us, perhaps. Very bad news indeed for working musicians. 

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve kind of deliberately regressed in to the whole slow pace and aesthetic of vinyl.

I’m sat here now, head phones on listening to an album that requires actual listening to and requires me to get off my lardy arse a minimum of once every 20 minutes and do something. The sort of whole engagement with it is quite nice, plus the thought that the artist possibly gets more than 0.00001 of a cent.

After that, download codes and Bandcamp stuff get put on a c and the c gets plugged in to the car.

I appreciate this isn’t ultra modern, and one of my kids did an uncontrollable laugh the other day when I offered to copy a stick of music for them ‘cos they’d liked something. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I was in a record shop earlier today, chatting shit about local gigs and album release dates and all that. It feels nice, supporting a job in a shop and getting to talk to someone. It’s just where I’m lucky enough to be at present, a little bit of money in my pocket, the ability to conjur up a little time for myself, and access to a nice town centre. All that, and the philosophy of use it or lose it.

🤫 haven't seen any of those in a long time

I think a lot of it is down to preferences too, I tend to like listening to tracks to fit a particular mood as opposed to listening by artist.

Edited by legov

Just now, mjmooney said:

A lot better for us, perhaps. Very bad news indeed for working musicians. 

Yeah that might be something I think about going forward

3 minutes ago, legov said:

Yeah that might be something I think about going forward

If I find I've played an album more than 4 or 5 times on Spotify, I buy the CD. 

BTW, where have you suddenly popped up from, after so long away?  :)

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I'm in charge of a wedding background music playlist, need a song by the stranglers, Depeche mode* and toyah

*that isn't enjoy the silence, I know that song, great song

Stranglers. Skin Deep. Depeche Mode. Question of lust. Toyah. Nothing. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

If I find I've played an album more than 4 or 5 times on Spotify, I buy the CD. 

BTW, where have you suddenly popped up from, after so long away?  :)

Huh? I tend to pop up from time to time, no?

I don't come on too often as I've been losing interest in football but I come on every now and then mainly for the bollitics :P

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My mom's chap has loads of toyah and I just f

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Spotify can't find nothing by Toyah 😉

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'm in charge of a wedding background music playlist, need a song by the stranglers, Depeche mode* and toyah

*that isn't enjoy the silence, I know that song, great song

Toyah = I Want to be Free

Stranglers - Strange Little Girl

Depeche Mode - Blasphemous Rumours

:crylaugh: 

• Haha 2

Anyone into music theory? I bought keyboard almost 8 months to help with music theory and now hooked on piano and theory. Was learning intro to Head Over Heels and was explained that is C Locrian to D Mixolydian.

Anyway today I finally figured out how to calculate all modes in every key using modal brightness and circle of 5ths. Very pleasing

Screenshot_20230723_173723_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.2294845da361b465634af90e9ea3dd72.jpg

• Like 1

Will put it in here rather than ruin the other thread - the 1975...

Agree they're not middle of the road, that's the wrong description for them, I don't think they're boring because they make safe beige music but they are boring, I'd use the word "wet" to describe them, like bicks with the beatles they're a lettuce of a band

I don't want to get in the whole woke bullshit so I'll start another argument instead, they're middle class verging on posh and privelaged and to me their music sounds like it and for me personally it says absolutely nothing (I definitely have a class-ist problem with them whatever that word is) whereas the bands I grew up with like oasis and the the artic monkeys were the opposite, you can maybe aim something at the Libertines or bloc party but at least their sound has a huge bite to it whereas the 1975 just don't, I'm not a fan of wet leg but their sound has that bite to it too

To me they're successful because of where music is right now and they are undeniably successful, they'll headline glastonbury soon and there will be a huge swathe of angry white men in their late 30s early 40s moaning that they just don't get it and music was better in their day... And I'll be one of them because they're shit

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Anyone into music theory? I bought keyboard almost 8 months to help with music theory and now hooked on piano and theory. Was learning intro to Head Over Heels and was explained that is C Locrian to D Mixolydian.

Anyway today I finally figured out how to calculate all modes in every key using modal brightness and circle of 5ths. Very pleasing

Screenshot_20230723_173723_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.2294845da361b465634af90e9ea3dd72.jpg

This probably belongs in the musicians' thread. 

I didn't understand a word of it, btw. 

Quite often I've ended up at a festival that The 1975 will be playing at so they'll appear on my festival playlist. The moment, the very moment, their track finishes I will completely forget what they sound like, even what genre they are, and have to listen again. Which then leads to me forgetting once more etc. 

They've got to be one of the most successful beige bands out there, at least Coldplay have a couple of tunes I can remember!

15 minutes ago, picicata said:

Enjoying these guys at the moment. Only a couple of songs out so far, but they're playing at Green Man festival so I shall give them a watch next month 

Also supporting Hozier on tour I think I read on a poster in the pub bog last night

I would imagine that 1975 should be up my street, Matt Healy, the front man puts me off them and musically they haven't had that stand out track that grabbed me. They are in the same way Blossoms are, completely forgettable. 

Â