Midweek Football 12/15 April

andykeenan

Me hope that Man City and Chelsea both lose in the semis. After that not too bothered, but I guess would be better if Real Madrid won it.

Edited by useless
The 'I' key broke on my keyboard, Ive since assigned the letter I to another key, but sometimes still write 'me' out of habit.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Give me Man City to win it all day long now.

I think PSG will beat them. Pep's plan of playing a back 4 and then 6 central midfielders doesn't work. If they can get aguero back they have a chance to win it but I think PSG will slaughter them on the counter attack. 

12 hours ago, Rino8 said:

Firmino has been shit for a long while and gets no criticism, funny that 

His goalscoring record is dreadful for a striker in a top team but when he isnt playing he is the only one of the front 4 to be able to hold the ball up. In the 1st leg they were terrible trying to do that

Don't want any English team to win it, especially City, it's nice having the one trophy they've never won but they'll eventually win it I suppose. Best case scenario is Madrid v PSG final with Madrid winning. I really dislike PSG, so seeing them lose back to back finals will be beautiful. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

Don't want any English team to win it, especially City, it's nice having the one trophy they've never won but they'll eventually win it I suppose. Best case scenario is Madrid v PSG final with Madrid winning. I really dislike PSG, so seeing them lose back to back finals will be beautiful. 

with Sergio Ramos doing a little jig over a crying Neymar ;) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villa89 said:

I think PSG will beat them. Pep's plan of playing a back 4 and then 6 central midfielders doesn't work. If they can get aguero back they have a chance to win it but I think PSG will slaughter them on the counter attack. 

I think it has worked hasn't it. PSG have a punchers chance but i expect Man City to dominate the ball. They can score goals from anywhere.  They wont be so open as Bayern

Edited by PaulC

i'm confused about the European qualification.

As it stands, the top 4 go into the Champions league and then fifth, the FA Cup Winner and the League Cup winner go into the Europa league.

Southampton are the only team outside the top 5 that are still in the FA Cup - so if they win the FA Cup and stay outside the the top 6, then the seventh placed league team don't get Europe. If Spurs also win the League Cup but finish outside the top five, then sixth doesn't get into the Europa Cup either, is that correct?

If (as seems more likely), City win the League Cup and a team from the top four also wins the FA Cup, the six and seventh placed teams will then qualify for the Europa league I think. Is that right?

That's the domestic stuff - I'm more confident on that than I am about the European results.

If City win the Champions League, nothing extra happens, correct? If they were going to finish outside the top four, that'd be different, but they're not.

If Chelsea win the Champions League and finish fifth - do we get an extra Champions League place or does the team that finishes fourth go into the Europa League instead? I think fourth goes into the Europa but I'm not sure.

Does winning the Europa League give you a Champions league place or have I imagined that? I think it's true - so if Man Utd win it, I'm guessing nothing extra happens - I don't think we get an extra spot - but If Arsenal win it, then I guess the team that finishes in fourth goes into the Europa League and the team that finishes sixth potentially misses out.

I'm sure Arsenal would be over the moon if they ended up winning the Europa League, qualifying for the Champions league and knocking Tottenham out of Europe on the same day.

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's possible that if Southampton win the FA Cup, Arsenal win the Europa League and Spurs win the league cup, a team could finish 5th in the Premier league and not qualify for any sort of European football.

Imagine if that was West Ham! Or Everton.😉

Doubt it would happen but we've been done twice out of direct european qualification by abnormal cup winners/finalists in 2004 and 2008. Second one cost Freddie Bouma his Villa career.

34 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's possible that if Southampton win the FA Cup, Arsenal win the Europa League and Spurs win the league cup, a team could finish 5th in the Premier league and not qualify for any sort of European football.

If Arsenal win the Europa League they go into the Champions League next season so leaves a spot for the league position still, the Champions League spot doesnt get taken from the top 4

Edited by Zatman

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If Chelsea win the Champions League and finish fifth - do we get an extra Champions League place or does the team that finishes fourth go into the Europa League instead? I think fourth goes into the Europa but I'm not sure.

That's correct. Chelsea actually have previous in this, winning the CL in 2012 and finishing 6th and forcing 4th place Spurs to play Europa League football the next season :D

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If Arsenal win the Europa League they go into the Champions League next season so leaves a spot for the league position still, the Champions League spot doesnt get taken from the top 4

Ah, my bad - I thought there were a maximum of four English team allowed to qualify - it looks like UEFA changed it to allow a fifth one if there's a Europa winner.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah, my bad - I thought there were a maximum of four English team allowed to qualify - it looks like UEFA changed it to allow a fifth one if there's a Europa winner.

Thank you!

It was supposed to be an incentive to make the Europa League more competitive 

Although!

If Chelsea win the Champions league and finish outside the top four, lets say 6th, and Southampton finish 13th and win the FA Cup, and Spurs win the League cup and finish 7th, and Arsenal win the Europa League and finish ninth...

We'd have:

• 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th (Chelsea), and 9th (Arsenal) in the Champions League
  • 4th, 7th (Spurs) and 13th (Southampton) in the Europa League

And fifth still wouldn't qualify for Europe.

It's still on!

😃

Nope, sorry, that's wrong too - the League cup place gets you qualification for the Europa Conference league now, not the Europa league proper - so in the scenario above, it would actually be:

• 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th (Chelsea), and 9th (Arsenal) in the Champions League
  • 4th and 13th (Southampton) in the Europa League
  • 7th (Spurs) in the Europa Conference.

It could get fun for the likes of Liverpool.

Â