Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

If we play away from home against good teams and choose to be more conservative, more resillient, I am not sure we have enough players with the intrinsic nous to play like that.

We did manage to do it, on many occasions last season....so I can only assume the injuries have affected the specific players who can do it.

I think maybe we should have been a bit more aware of that, when the window was open....but of course, its easy to be wise, after the event.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

If we play away from home against good teams and choose to be more conservative, more resillient, I am not sure we have enough players with the intrinsic nous to play like that.

We did manage to do it, on many occasions last season....so I can only assume the injuries have affected the specific players who can do it.

I think maybe we should have been a bit more aware of that, when the window was open....but of course, its easy to be wise, after the event.

The basics though we can do better thoough even with the players we have. We conceded from two corners. Failed to close down the shot for the first one. Even with the players we have they should be able to do that. 

On 07/09/2023 at 11:49, PaulC said:

The basics though we can do better thoough even with the players we have. We conceded from two corners. Failed to close down the shot for the first one. Even with the players we have they should be able to do that. 

We look flaky with high balls.

we had the following stats according to canadian Pete........aerial duels won.. Liverpool 80% Villa 20%......that shows a vulnerability that will inevitably, turn in to goals against.

We have to address that at some stage.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 07/09/2023 at 05:29, TRO said:

I think we’ve been particularly unlucky with which players have got injured.

Mings, Ramsey and Buendia are all fighters … they give our team grit and energy.

The squad balance was good, but now with the injuries we’re light on that kind of profile, a bit too weighted towards “tidy” players like Torres, Konsa, Digne, Luiz, etc and I think that’s what has affected your point on resilience.

Long term I don’t see it as a problem, but in the short term we’re going to keep seeing these issues away against better sides, where your best hope of points is to scrap for the win. Against lesser oppo, and especially at VP, I think we’ll continue to look good.

• Like 2

Injuries will take an unfortunate toll against every squad except for City.

Arsenal did not like the same without Saliba. Liverpool - insert any of their injuries - and are now just looking back into form with a brand new midfield.

Probably the only team that seems to have a replacement everywhere is Brighton but they did also just get thumped by West Ham so it all goes around.

3 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Injuries will take an unfortunate toll against every squad except for City.

Arsenal did not like the same without Saliba. Liverpool - insert any of their injuries - and are now just looking back into form with a brand new midfield.

Probably the only team that seems to have a replacement everywhere is Brighton but they did also just get thumped by West Ham so it all goes around.

What do you mean except City? Their squad is only just about able to fill the subs bench when everyone is fit. If they had nine first team squad injuries like we have had they would be in a dreadful situation.

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Mings, Ramsey and Buendia are all fighters … they give our team grit and energy.

The squad balance was good, but now with the injuries we’re light on that kind of profile, a bit too weighted towards “tidy” players like Torres, Konsa, Digne, Luiz, etc and I think that’s what has affected your point on resilience.

Long term I don’t see it as a problem, but in the short term we’re going to keep seeing these issues away against better sides, where your best hope of points is to scrap for the win. Against lesser oppo, and especially at VP, I think we’ll continue to look good.

well put.

On 08/09/2023 at 16:02, KentVillan said:

I don't believe its anything to do with grit myself. Mings, Ramsey and Moreno out has taken away a lot of pace from our starting 11 and in Premier League thats a huge gap to fill

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

I don't believe its anything to do with grit myself. Mings, Ramsey and Moreno out has taken away a lot of pace from our starting 11 and in Premier League thats a huge gap to fill

I don’t think Moreno for Digne has a huge impact. I prefer Moreno, but it’s the one position where we have close enough to like-for-like squad cover.

Pace for sure is a factor, although depends where on the pitch. Defensively we look slower with Mings out, but in attack Diaby joining and Bailey starting every week probably adds more pace.

Personally I think it’s the work rate of Ramsey and Buendia in the press that we’re missing, and that’s then exposing a slower defence to more dangerous attacks.

• Like 2

On 08/09/2023 at 15:02, KentVillan said:

IMO Thats such a nifty call.

You are spot on.....I would like to see us add a few more, come the Jan Window.

West Ham, are particulalrly cute, in this area of the team....they always seem to sign durable and gritty, players.

• Like 1

Premier League squad has been confirmed:

You have to have at least 8 homegrown players to name a full 25 man squad. Villa have 7 but only name 23 anyway. Duran is the only senior player included in the under-21's. Mings and Buendia are named despite no chance of playing before January.

23 Squad players (*Home grown)
Bailey, Leon Patrick 
Buendia Stati, Emiliano 
Cash, Matthew Stuart*
Chambers, Calum*
Dendoncker, Leander 
Diaby, Moussa 
Digne, Lucas 
Francisco Torres, Pau 
Kamara, Boubacar Bernard 
Konsa, Ezri Ngoyo*
Lenglet, Clement Nicolas Laurent 
Martinez Romero, Damian Emiliano*
McGinn, John 
Mings, Tyrone Deon*
Moreno Lopera, Alexandre 
Olsen, Robin 
Ramsey, Jacob*
Santos Silva, Diego Carlos 
Soares De Paulo, Douglas Luiz 
Tielemans, Youri Marion 
Traore, Bertrand Isidore 
Watkins, Oliver George Arthur*
Zaniolo, Nicolo 

U21 players (Contract and Scholars)
Afoka, Chisom Kenneth 
Alcock, Todd Rees 
Asante-Boakye, Maxwell Kwesi 
Barber, Jayden Christopher 
Barnes, Mikell Nathan Leon 
Barry, Louie Mark 
Bogarde, Lamare Trenton Chansey 
Borland, Aidan Gerald 
Brannigan, Cole Patrick 
Broggio, Benjamin David 
Burchall, Ajani Alexander Edward 
Carroll, Theodore James 
Chrisene, Benjamin Joshua 
Duerden, Archie 
Duran Palacios, Jhon Jader 
Ealing, Frankie 
Edwards, I-Lani 
Feeney, Joshua Philip 
Hammond, Alexander 
Hart, Taylor-Jay Phillip 
Hayden, Kaine Kesler 
Iroegbunam, Timothy Emeka 
Jimoh, Jamaldeen 
Katsukunya, Thierry Alfred Farai 
Kellyman, Omari Jamian 
Lewis, Samuel Jack 
Lott, Max Matthew 
Lutz, Charlie Ethan 
Lynch, Luka John 
Marschall, Filip 
McDowell, Jack 
McWilliams, Ashton Tyler 
Mitchell, Dylan Reiss 
Moore, Kobei 
Moreland, Calum Francis 
Mulley, Trai-Varn Divinche 
Munroe, Finley Christopher Ryan 
O'Reilly, Aaron Christopher 
O'Reilly, Tommi Dylan 
Onuchukwu, Abube-Calvin 
Patterson, Travis 
Pavey, Charlie James 
Pierre, Kyrie Jay Victor 
Proctor, Sam Adrian 
Revan, Sebastian Emmanuel 
Richards, Rico Dean Scott 
Rowe, Edward James 
Rowe, Triston Tye 
Simpson, Ewan Mark 
Smith, Kerr David 
Swinkels, Sil Laurentius 
Timson, Nile Jordan Joseph 
Wilson, Rory 
Wright, James Thomas 
Young, Kadan Christophe 
Zych, Oliwier 

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Ceemo said:

Premier League squad has been confirmed:

You have to have at least 8 homegrown players to name a full 25 man squad. Villa have 7 but only name 23 anyway. Duran is the only senior player included in the under-21's. Mings and Buendia are named despite no chance of playing before January.

23 Squad players (*Home grown)
Bailey, Leon Patrick 
Buendia Stati, Emiliano 
Cash, Matthew Stuart*
Chambers, Calum*
Dendoncker, Leander 
Diaby, Moussa 
Digne, Lucas 
Francisco Torres, Pau 
Kamara, Boubacar Bernard 
Konsa, Ezri Ngoyo*
Lenglet, Clement Nicolas Laurent 
Martinez Romero, Damian Emiliano*
McGinn, John 
Mings, Tyrone Deon*
Moreno Lopera, Alexandre 
Olsen, Robin 
Ramsey, Jacob*
Santos Silva, Diego Carlos 
Soares De Paulo, Douglas Luiz 
Tielemans, Youri Marion 
Traore, Bertrand Isidore 
Watkins, Oliver George Arthur*
Zaniolo, Nicolo 

U21 players (Contract and Scholars)
Afoka, Chisom Kenneth 
Alcock, Todd Rees 
Asante-Boakye, Maxwell Kwesi 
Barber, Jayden Christopher 
Barnes, Mikell Nathan Leon 
Barry, Louie Mark 
Bogarde, Lamare Trenton Chansey 
Borland, Aidan Gerald 
Brannigan, Cole Patrick 
Broggio, Benjamin David 
Burchall, Ajani Alexander Edward 
Carroll, Theodore James 
Chrisene, Benjamin Joshua 
Duerden, Archie 
Duran Palacios, Jhon Jader 
Ealing, Frankie 
Edwards, I-Lani 
Feeney, Joshua Philip 
Hammond, Alexander 
Hart, Taylor-Jay Phillip 
Hayden, Kaine Kesler 
Iroegbunam, Timothy Emeka 
Jimoh, Jamaldeen 
Katsukunya, Thierry Alfred Farai 
Kellyman, Omari Jamian 
Lewis, Samuel Jack 
Lott, Max Matthew 
Lutz, Charlie Ethan 
Lynch, Luka John 
Marschall, Filip 
McDowell, Jack 
McWilliams, Ashton Tyler 
Mitchell, Dylan Reiss 
Moore, Kobei 
Moreland, Calum Francis 
Mulley, Trai-Varn Divinche 
Munroe, Finley Christopher Ryan 
O'Reilly, Aaron Christopher 
O'Reilly, Tommi Dylan 
Onuchukwu, Abube-Calvin 
Patterson, Travis 
Pavey, Charlie James 
Pierre, Kyrie Jay Victor 
Proctor, Sam Adrian 
Revan, Sebastian Emmanuel 
Richards, Rico Dean Scott 
Rowe, Edward James 
Rowe, Triston Tye 
Simpson, Ewan Mark 
Smith, Kerr David 
Swinkels, Sil Laurentius 
Timson, Nile Jordan Joseph 
Wilson, Rory 
Wright, James Thomas 
Young, Kadan Christophe 
Zych, Oliwier 

Robbed of LPB and JPB on the wings.

On 07/09/2023 at 11:29, TRO said:

If we play away from home against good teams and choose to be more conservative, more resilient, I am not sure we have enough players with the intrinsic nous to play like that.

This is true.....but it is a football fans way. Don't be too hard on yourself ;)

It fascinates me, how many fans, seem to avoid talking about the ugly work, essential in any successful football team.

I understand the attraction to wax lyrical on the superlatives of play.....but there is a pragmatic side of football that seems to go under the radar during fan discussions.

The teams that have a clear understanding of it, and embrace it, are the better and more resillient teams.....they predominately are the trophy winners.

SAF onces said.............Attack wins you games, Defence wins you Titles.

We all know you need both, but defence does not seem to be talked about in proportionate measures.....its crucial to get right IMO.....and I don't mean playing attack minded players, in defensive positions, that is not the solution.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

It fascinates me, how many fans, seem to avoid talking about the ugly work, essential in any successful football team.

I understand the attraction to wax lyrical on the superlatives of play.....but there is a pragmatic side of football that seems to go under the radar during fan discussions.

The teams that have a clear understanding of it, and embrace it, are the better and more resillient teams.....they predominately are the trophy winners.

SAF onces said.............Attack wins you games, Defence wins you Titles.

We all know you need both, but defence does not seem to be talked about in proportionate measures.....its crucial to get right IMO.....and I don't mean playing attack minded players, in defensive positions, that is not the solution.

Mings is a massive loss to how we play.  He had the perfect blend of pace, strength, and commitment, was a huge commanding leader for our back line, and had added the ability to play out from the back to his repertoire. 

Losing him will hurt us all season long as no matter how up to speed Torres gets, he'll never quite have the commanding presence that Mings does, nor his ability in the air.

In a similar way, the "dirty" work performed by forward players is weakened by our injuries too. We will miss Buendia's press, and general mobility to pop up anywhere and make the opposition make a mistake. 

I dont think we should fill the squad with only these types of players though,  you need a balance, and whilst our balance is now off, it will improve with Ramsey coming back.

I wouldn't want to be a West Ham that is full of those types, that don't have the craft and guile that we get from Luiz, Torres, and Diaby. You end up going to far the other way and suffering from a different issue with the same end result... inconsistent performances.

20 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Mings is a massive loss to how we play.  He had the perfect blend of pace, strength, and commitment, was a huge commanding leader for our back line, and had added the ability to play out from the back to his repertoire. 

Losing him will hurt us all season long as no matter how up to speed Torres gets, he'll never quite have the commanding presence that Mings does, nor his ability in the air.

In a similar way, the "dirty" work performed by forward players is weakened by our injuries too. We will miss Buendia's press, and general mobility to pop up anywhere and make the opposition make a mistake. 

I dont think we should fill the squad with only these types of players though,  you need a balance, and whilst our balance is now off, it will improve with Ramsey coming back.

I wouldn't want to be a West Ham that is full of those types, that don't have the craft and guile that we get from Luiz, Torres, and Diaby. You end up going to far the other way and suffering from a different issue with the same end result... inconsistent performances.

I agree with your first few lines....but to suggest, we don't want to go the other way, is surely a euphemism......you Mention 3 players there out of a squad of 25, that we are unfortunately missing, that have an air of tenacity about them or an ability to "go after." opponents with any regularity...thats imbalance.

How many players do we have, who are comfortable in the air, or can mix it, in duels on the ball, just a couple of examples?.....not that we want to be playing high balls, but unfortunately, opponents do, and we can't control what they set out to do, but we do need the ability to counter it.

To expect players to have a useful handle on the defensive side of the game, is not a licence to suggest, we want thugs....that's just a completely false interpretation, that some have, towards the subject......we need our fair share of players who can defend with aplomb.

I think right now, (with the injuries), we was better, defensively last season, and its all well and good to turn to Mings absence,(albeit,  I believe is a bigger loss, than suggested due to us having few players like him) but it wasn't long ago some fans wanted him out of the team.

I have no problem, with our efforts/focus towards offensive minded players.....but I believe a bit more focus on defensive minded players, would helps us too.

PS I wouldn't fancy facing West Ham right now....due in the main, to their resolute approach.

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Bodes well for our continued evolution. 

I remember seeing a "passing lanes" type graph showing all teams passes and the frequency of them a couple of years back.

Man City's looked like a series of perfectly mirrored triangles either side of the pitch. Ours looked like spaghetti junction.  Be interesting to see what ours looks like now. 

Â