Crewe and Nantwich byelection. Who will win?

snowychap

Who will take Crewe (and Nantwich)?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will take Crewe (and Nantwich)?

• Tamsin Dunwoody (Labour)
    • Elisabeth Shenton (Liberal Democrat)
    • Edward Timpson (Conservative)

Any party that introduced a Caravan tax, or made lorries travel between the hours of 12am and 6am would also be on a winner

Personally, I think that caravans should only be allowed on public roads between the hours of 3am and 4am. And not allowed to park on any road which is publicly maintained. And they should not be allowed to cluster in groups of more than two, anywhere which is visible from land to which the public have a right of access.. And should be required to be clad in army-issue camouflage at all times. And no reversing allowed, unless the driver has proved themself competent in an advanced driving test.

That'd sort the ****.

Based on papers as they are counted and by weighting the data , Tories are reported to have won it by around 6000 votes ..that's a swing of about 17 %

i thought Gordon might survive until next year , now I'm not so sure

That is a huge huge swing.

Brown has to go. No-one wants him any more; not even his own party.

He's the reason Boris is Mayor of London. It wasn't a case of Johnson vs Livingston.. it was Tories vs Labour, and everyone has lost all faith in Labour now. So long as Brown is leader, Labour will continue to lose their voters and get humiliated.

[table]

[row][col]Dunwoody (Lab)[col]12,679

[row][col]Timpson (Con)[col]20,549

[row][col]Shenton (Lib Dem)[col]6,040

[row][col]Fit blonde[col]113

[/table]

Swing of about 17.6% to Tories.

Turnout : 58.2%.

Trouble is they are a lame duck govt now just waiting to get thrown out and in that state can do a lot of damage

that is very true, and is one of the problems associated with the FPTP voting system in this country.

it can be quite polemic, and the incumbent government, knowing they're not going to be in power beyond the next 2 years, have no reason to "leave things in good shape" for their "rivals/successors", other than a sense of public service/spirit, and it's debatable how much of this many top politicians have.

this government may well start implementing policies for purely short term gain, which might not be very good for the country at all.

FWIW, i am something of a believer in PR.

It's arguable that under a form of PR, things like the Poll Tax and the 10p tax issue might never have happened.

awful result but less of a swing than Labour saw say Hodge Hill, and shows the impact the 10p issue had even though it took nearly a year before anyone realised what it was.

as to PR I am a firm believer in it, is it not a fact in a three party system you would never see one party in total command, but as discussed in other threads PR is only one factor in setting us up for a modern democracy

PR for praliament, think not ..

Eh?? He invented the so-called "Pop Idol" Politics, based on spin and bullshit!

Nick. There is a difference between Poportional Representation and "Public Relations".

I think you may be confusing the two ....

PR for praliament, think not ..

Eh?? He invented the so-called "Pop Idol" Politics, based on spin and bullshit!

Nick. There is a difference between Poportional Representation and "Public Relations".

I think you may be confusing the two ....

Think I have got my wires crossed here... whoops, and I do know the difference now I know the topic!

It is an awful result for Labour, but I don't think there's any chance at all that Brown will go because of it. He wanted this job far far too much to give it up so easily - and I'm not sure there's anyone in the Labour party that could replace him and turn things around again so quickly anyway.

If he does go, I doubt it will be until it is far too late to make a difference.

awful result but less of a swing than Labour saw say Hodge Hill, and shows the impact the 10p issue had even though it took nearly a year before anyone realised what it was.

I knew what it meant shortly after he said it.

The lib dems questioned it in response to the budget speech last year.

Menzies Campbell said on 21st March 2007:

He's concentrated... on his own political succession

if you look very carefully, the revenue to justify that reduction is obtained by the abolition of the 10p rate

What is happening is we're increasing income tax for many tax payers in order to fund a reduction from 22p to 20p. We are asking the poor to subsidise the rich

Neither the Tories or the Labour party really cared about it.

The fact that 'the greatest chancellor this country has ever had' didn't understand the implications says more about his financial acumen and ability to empathise than anything else.

it can be quite polemic, and the incumbent government, knowing they're not going to be in power beyond the next 2 years, have no reason to "leave things in good shape" for their "rivals/successors", other than a sense of public service/spirit, and it's debatable how much of this many top politicians have.

this government may well start implementing policies for purely short term gain, which might not be very good for the country at all.

A very interesting point there, Jon.

I fear that you may be right to a certain degree.

I don't think it will be as bad as that, though. For one reason: I don't think Gordon will believe that they can lose (until he gets told they've lost).

This is a man who thinks that the electorate have entrusted in him, personally, the responsibility of steering the ship. I think I missed that election, Gordo.

Â