Crewe and Nantwich byelection. Who will win?

snowychap

Who will take Crewe (and Nantwich)?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will take Crewe (and Nantwich)?

• Tamsin Dunwoody (Labour)
    • Elisabeth Shenton (Liberal Democrat)
    • Edward Timpson (Conservative)

I thought the days of having old Etonians in charge of our country were over. It looks like one could be the next PM.

I guess the last Tory govt is now a dim and distant memory to many people, so the electorate thinks they offer an alternative. I will never vote Tory as long as I live purely based on what Thatcher did to this country. She shattered communities and families - and now we are reaping the rewards. All the deep-seated social problems the country faces are directly traceable back to her administration and its attitude towards working people. "There is no such thing as society". Indeed, mostly thanks to you Maggie.

purely based on what Thatcher did to this country

What you mean turning it around from a bankrup place with no investment and on it's knees to unions and IMF and leaving the legacy that Labour has pissed up the wall?

purely based on what Thatcher did to this country

What you mean turning it around from a bankrup place with no investment and on it's knees to unions and IMF and leaving the legacy that Labour has pissed up the wall?

No, I mean shattering the social fabric of the country forever in the process.

Some would argue that was done in the 60's and the generation that has done the damage has come from that. Either way without the action taken by maggie when she came to power we would not even be having this debate of that I'm convinced

I guess the last Tory govt is now a dim and distant memory to many people, so the electorate thinks they offer an alternative. I will never vote Tory as long as I live purely based on what Thatcher did to this country. She shattered communities and families - and now we are reaping the rewards. All the deep-seated social problems the country faces are directly traceable back to her administration and its attitude towards working people. "There is no such thing as society". Indeed, mostly thanks to you Maggie.

Perhaps the Labour party ought to have tried to address this issue rather than perpetuate this unsatisfactory situation?

Some would argue that was done in the 60's and the generation that has done the damage has come from that.

Well i wouldn't argue that - I blame her. My family suffered greatly as a result of her policies. I saw first hand what she did to communities - it isn't a myth that people suffered hugely because of Thatcher's bloody mindedness, I saw it with my own eyes. I saw my dad, my uncles, lose their jobs and suffer depression as a result. I witnessed my family breaking up and having to disperse all over the world just in order to find work. I saw families fall apart under the pressures they faced as the traditional industries that communities had relied on for generations disappeared overnight.

If you did well out of her "selfish society" policies then good for you. Millions of others didn't.

Perhaps the Labour party ought to have tried to address this issue rather than perpetuate this unsatisfactory situation?

I fear it's too late. An underclass has now been created in this country thanks to almost two decades of me,me,me politics, and it will now always be with us.

Let's see if the next Tory administration can solve it. Of course they won't be able to.

not if their plans are to cut inheritance tax and change tax credits into a basic rate cut which will benefit those earning over £30k a year more

tories have never cared about the poor, Tebbitt's comments way back in the 80's about a 'price worth paytingh' in terms of high unemployment prove this and the current Tory leadership are the same mould if a bit better with PR and hide this.

not if their plans are to cut inheritance tax and change tax credits into a basic rate cut which will benefit those earning over £30k a year more

And labour haven't cut inheritance tax, or changed the tax rules recently which have benefited higher earners rather than the less well off?

I fear it's too late. An underclass has now been created in this country thanks to almost two decades of me,me,me politics, and it will now always be with us.

I think that we have had almost three decades of a me, me, me society.

If the labour party were serious about trying to improve the lot of the majority then I think they could and should have attempted to address that. I think that 'new Labour' were not interested in doing so. Perhaps they were unable to but it would have been pleasant if they had at least attempted to address the selfishness which seems to pervade society.

Let's see if the next Tory administration can solve it. Of course they won't be able to.

As it is unlikely to be their raison d'être, I doubt they'll try. If new Labour were unable to (as I said I think they were unwilling rather than unable) then why would the Tories be able to?

I saw families fall apart under the pressures they faced as the traditional industries that communities had relied on for generations disappeared overnight.

understand you point of view but If an industry was dead and losing money and being subsidised , do you feel that the government should have continued to throw tax payer money at it in order to support those people .. at a cost to other areas other people ...

Tough jobs need tough decisions and despite the perception some had of Thatcher I doubt it was personnel and i doubt she didn't care and danced around her office whilst doing it .. in a lot of cases the balance was redressed with companies like Nissan being given breaks to open up in the North East and create jobs ..

And labour haven't cut inheritance tax, or changed the tax rules recently which have benefited higher earners rather than the less well off?

to increase the threshold a little, something I vehmently disagree with.

With house prices decreasing now a certain number will be brought back under the threshold

Labour made one big mistake in not being redistrubitve enough. As Frank Field said they missed an opportunity to remove a lot from paying tax (those earning under 15k a year) by funding this by upping the top rate to 45%

they never did this because the middle class would have screamed about it but for someone earning say £50k a year the difference is what £300 a year ??

I saw families fall apart under the pressures they faced as the traditional industries that communities had relied on for generations disappeared overnight.

understand you point of view but If an industry was dead and losing money and being subsidised , do you feel that the government should have continued to throw tax payer money at it in order to support those people .. at a cost to other areas other people ...

Tough jobs need tough decisions and despite the perception some had of Thatcher I doubt it was personnel and i doubt she didn't care and danced around her office whilst doing it .. in a lot of cases the balance was redressed with companies like Nissan being given breaks to open up in the North East and create jobs ..

I don't think the influx of foreign car companies redressed balance across even most of the areas which suffered greatly in those times (and which still suffer greatly).

I'm also not sure that all of those industries were dead, losing money and relying wholly upon subsidies.

Even if they were, that is part of the point of society. The whole picture needs to be looked at (and in the long term not purely at the P&L and balance sheet as a snapshot). The value of and in society is not purely measured in terms of pounds and pence.

I'm slightly disappointed that the Miss Uk girl didn't win!

indeed. constituency is just down the road from me too. why does Macc never get these type of candidates. :cry:

Or that Flying Brick (Monster raving loony) guy. :o

The value of and in society is not purely measured in terms of pounds and pence.

So why is tax always the big issue for voters ?

Were you happy bailing out Northern Rock from your tax money ?

Ship building , was dead in the water there were no orders no requirements at that time ... It would have been foolhardy of any governemnt to continue chucking money at it .. a tough decision but the needs of the many do outweigh the needs of the few whatever Dr Spock may tell you

I don't think the influx of foreign car companies redressed balance across even most of the areas which suffered greatly in those times (and which still suffer greatly).

have you been to Newcastle lately ? it's got more wine bars than London and has become a thriving town once again .. part of Thatchers plan was to get investment in the North East by offering incentives to companies to go there .. sadly a lot of people are to blinkered to look beyond their hatred of her because she had some culling to do

a quick google will show you that Thatcher is revered amongst the greatest PM's of our history .. I don't see Brown making that list ... I think people fail to remember the state of the country when Thatcher took control

a quick google will show you that Thatcher is revered amongst the greatest PM's of our history .. I don't see Brown making that list ... I think people fail to remember the state of the country when Thatcher took control

Absolutely 100% spot on. She did one or two things I didn't agree with but the results she got from her policies speak for themselves. Also got to love her handling of that Iranian embassy thing - "shoot the ****" :lol:

Another thing, am I the only one that looks at this Edward Timpson bloke and sees a striking resemblance to that bloke from the Manchurian Candidate?

Â