A Ban on Gambling Company Shirt Sponsors

villan-scott

18 hours ago, sidcow said:

The one that annoys me is the tap out Wrestler. It's actually massively trivialising what is supposed to be a serious issue, actually made it an entertainment. 

That’s the point though isn’t it? The bookies are making these adverts so that they don’t have to hand over anything to a government regulator and they are doing as little as possible to put people off. 

Personally I’d like to see all betting advertisements banned off tv until after the watershed. 

too many kids are exposed to the ‘joys’ of betting during the daytime. 

Their collective efforts of informing customers of the downside to gambling are pitiful and powder puff at best. 

• Like 1

Bbc

The boss of the gambling firm Bet365 has been awarded one of the biggest pay packets in UK corporate history.

The highest paid director of Bet365 Group - believed to be founder and majority shareholder Denise Coates CBE - earned a salary of £421m in the year ending 29 March.

She also earned £48m in dividends, taking her total pay to £469m. 

The company said the arrangements were "appropriate and fair", despite sales falling at the firm last year .

I wonder how many problem gamblers lost their homes, jobs, families or killed themselves to make her that rich.

• Like 1

I remember when I first relocated to Stoke back in 2002, Bet365 had a modest building on a well known business park, fast forward to now and they have an entire campus there with state of the art facilities.

As @Genie said, this is not a business based on a service or product offering, it’s based on the ruin of others, I think betting got out of hand a long time ago personally and whilst I would not want to see it eradicated entirely I don’t think any half measures will have much affect.

• Like 1

Out of interest does anyone bet because of what they see on a shirt? I suppose I’m lucky in that never been addicted to it, and don’t like losing money. Just never  looked at a shirt and thought oh I must gamble now. Suppose people do that’s why they sponsor so many teams 

On 01/04/2021 at 17:13, mikeyp102 said:

Out of interest does anyone bet because of what they see on a shirt? I suppose I’m lucky in that never been addicted to it, and don’t like losing money. Just never  looked at a shirt and thought oh I must gamble now. Suppose people do that’s why they sponsor so many teams 

Muller was my favourite yogurt/pudding growing up because it was on the villa shirt , now days I could care less who the sponsors are but might affect a younger generation?

• Like 1

On 01/04/2021 at 17:13, mikeyp102 said:

I personally think that the shirt sponsors pass over a lot of people.

Its the constant adverts during live games that I worry are normalising gambling on football for my son. He’s commented several times when it comes up with things like 7/1 Kane to score next, he asks how it works and then thinks it’s a really good deal. 
Then there’s the Betfair lessons in what a lay bet is or how to trade on sports events. I really hate those.

Get rid of the adverts I say, keep the shirt sponsors as a compromise but look to phase it out.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2021 at 12:30, bannedfromHandV said:

I think betting got out of hand a long time ago personally.

Spot on.

They have too much of a say these days and too much of an influence in too many sports.

As you say, it's all very well stating "Gamble aware" but it doesn't stop people haemorrhaging vast amounts money away and ruining people's lives.

29 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Spot on.

They have too much of a say these days and too much of an influence in too many sports.

As you say, it's all very well stating "Gamble aware" but it doesn't stop people haemorrhaging vast amounts money away and ruining people's lives.

All while Denise Coates takes a £400 million salary.......

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

All while Denise Coates takes a £400 million salary.......

Was that just this year?

I read somewhere last year she paid herself around £200m+ salary then too but not sure if that £400m you quoted included that.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Was that just this year?

I read somewhere last year she said herself around £200m+ salary then too but not sure if that £400m you quoted included that.

Well I remember it was announced she had £300+ million a year or two ago and I’m sure someone posted a story on here about her most recent pay being over £400M.

Either way it’s disgusting really, maybe I’m just envious but I don’t see any need for any person to earn that much money but it’s particularly galling considering the nefarious nature of how she earns it, she isn’t providing a service or a product, she’s just taking money out of peoples pockets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well I remember it was announced she had £300+ million a year or two ago and I’m sure someone posted a story on here about her most recent pay being over £400M.

Either way it’s disgusting really, maybe I’m just envious but I don’t see any need for any person to earn that much money but it’s particularly galling considering the nefarious nature of how she earns it, she isn’t providing a service or a product, she’s just taking money out of peoples pockets.

Yes. No one needs that amount of money and she is benefiting from the misery of others while paying Ray Whinstone to tell us to "bet in play, N'aaow" on adverts 24/7.

Gambling is a disease and some of these fixed odds/poker terminals inside betting shops are actually worse than heroin to a degree in how they are messing up people's lives.

Â