A Ban on Gambling Company Shirt Sponsors

villan-scott

42 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

This is one of my particular bugbears. FWIW I don't gamble, I don't even buy Villa shirts when sponsored by a bookie (which is annoying because I really liked the Luke1977 shirt!) but the whole  gamble aware thing is the industry making a token effort to self regulate so that when government do look at what they are up to somebody with a nice smile in a nice suit can point to the gamble aware campaign and say "see, we are looking after our customers!".   However, just look at the logo: 

s6vnwe6.jpg

What word leaps out at you there?  Subliminally do you think they are trying to make the word 𝔽𝕌ℕ get stuck into people's heads when they are thinking about their issues with gambling?   Every time you see this poster the word 𝔽𝕌ℕ is front and centre and in bold ornate font twice the size of anything else on the page, the link to the website is buried with the small print.  It's so cynical it's offensive.  

Exactly right, you hardly need to be an expert in semiotic analysis to notice the bright flashing word 'FUN' in giant letters.

56 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m all for this, gambling has gotten out of hand in this country.

I used to like an occasional flutter but lost interest over past few years, it’s become too intertwined with the culture of football.

Like yourself, I didn't mind the odd flutter on the horses now and then (nothing silly) but over the years it appears that these gambling firms have too much of a presence in the sport and it's not in a good way...

Not for the small punter anyway.

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Like yourself, I didn't mind the odd flutter on the horses now and then (nothing silly) but over the years it appears that these gambling firms have too much of a presence in the sport and it's not in a good way...

Not for the small punter anyway.

Ruby Walsh works with Paddy Power. Nothing dodgy at all

Boris is probably just touting for some lobbying funds from the gambling companies. Call me cynical, but this tory government aren't exactly known for their philanthropy. There must be something in it for Boris...

(I hate that he has made me think like this - I just don't trust him or the government at all in any fashion)

• Like 3

I enjoyed taking money off them for a couple of years with matched betting but even that’s hard to do now.  Doesn’t help that most of the main companies have ‘gubbed ’ me, removing all offers and restricting my stakes.

@Genie are you still involved at all?

46 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I enjoyed taking money off them for a couple of years with matched betting but even that’s hard to do now.  Doesn’t help that most of the main companies have ‘gubbed ’ me, removing all offers and restricting my stakes.

@Genie are you still involved at all?

Nah, I made a clean break in about July/August time. There was so little about I didn’t want to spend time scratching around for bits and bobs. I made a lot out of them, more than £20k. I won’t be a mug gambler though and give them any of it back :D 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nah, I made a clean break in about July/August time. There was so little about I didn’t want to spend time scratching around for bits and bobs. I made a lot out of them, more than £20k. I won’t be a mug gambler though and give them any of it back :D 

Yep same here.  There's not enough about to reward the time and effort now, especially now I'm gubbed all over the place.

I still get the occasional £50 365 free bet though so I secure my £35 out of that if I see it.  Actual gambling wise I do the occasional £2 accumulator purely for fun.

• Like 1

Good.

Government intervention into football is very risky - sport shouldn't be political, and FIFA rules will watch this very carefully as they can suspend federations if it were inappropriate.
I suspect the football authorities have been under notice to make changes themselves for a while - probably years - and the time has come to intervene.

A big clapping of hands from me.It really normalizes gambling as it were for impressionable young children who even though youth shirts don't have the said sponsor on them,they still see all the advertising during games or on the tv,etc.

Never really been much of a gambler myself(Most I will do is some scratch off lottery tickets).

This is something that should have been done a long time ago imho.

Edited by Big Salad
  • Like 1

I agree that we shouldn't have gambling adverts around sport.

However, most of the advertising on VillaTalk is from gambling companies. Premium advertising offers are almost always gambling related. If you are a poster then the people who subscribe are paying for you not to see them, but they are still there.

I don't see the point in removing sponsors from shirts unless all gambling advertising is banned. And that's going to hurt the small sites that people expect to be "free" a lot more than the large sites.

I'm glad we have the subscribers and that I'm not doing this to make money.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The one that annoys me is the tap out Wrestler. It's actually massively trivialising what is supposed to be a serious issue, actually made it an entertainment. 

It is amazing over here right now. Gambling just became legal in state in Jan and ads for gambling have gone from zero to about 30-50% almost immediately. This is happening gradually state by state. I used to be able to be amazed by that one oddity when I went back home... bah!

The US economy: Liqour stores, tattoo stores, hair salons, pot shops, pharmacies... and gambling. Though, not quite yet as the mainstreet store format is not legal, at least in MI, just yet.

I don’t mind the shirt sponsorship tbh, I think it passes over a lot of people. 
The TV ads are a big problem, I hate the Betfair ones which are a lesson in what trading is, or how to lay a bet. 

Â