A Ban on Gambling Company Shirt Sponsors

villan-scott

I do agree it should be banned, I think cigarettes and alcohol are already banned as shirt sponsors though not sure on the latter.

The only issue is that about 40 percent of clubs are sponsored by gambling companies from all over the world, in a poor financial time I wonder will they lose more income because of this

• Like 1

Good.  Growing up the shirt sponsor was something you’d always associate with a club, Sharp, Candy, JVC, Muller, Newky Brown, Goodyear, Thistle Hotels etc

Now the clubs just churn through online betting suppliers.  Some of which go through multiple clubs.  How many teams have had bloody 32red?  We’ve had them twice ourselves for god sake!

• Like 3

I agree it needs to be banned, also ads during games are dominated by gambling. 
I think the message to kids is that gambling almost goes hand in hand with the sport. We’ve seen several players getting into hot water for doing things outside of the game that upset gambling firms and being banned.

Football should break free. 

• Like 2

I'm not old enough (or British enough) so I would appreciate some insight on this, but hasn't gambling always been a part of British sports? 

Odds everywhere, everyone talking about taking punts, "bookies favourites", then you have horse racing which is a big part of British heritage which basically is one big gambling enterprise. 

Will a ban like this make a dent in something which has been present even before Red32 started sponsoring teams? Hasn't the use of mobile apps just made it a bit easier and isn't that the real problem?

I'm not necessarily for gambling being advertised (I don't gamble myslef, maybe a fiver twice a year) but I was wondering whether taking millions away from teams like Burnley, Southampton and not even starting on lower league clubs, is a good idea in the age of lost match revenue.

Won't gambling companies put more into online advertising? Isn't Sky gonna do more to make up any gaps in revenue? 

Clubs will find new sponsors, maybe not quite as lucrative but it’s not like they will lose 100% of what they currently get.

Formula one used for be heavily bankrolled by cigarette companies/ sponsors but it made a similar cut to preserve its reputation.

I think there are far more gamblers now than say 10-20 years ago. It’s probably why there are so many gambling companies throwing their money around. The owner of Bet365 pays herself about £250m a year. I think that shows the size of the gambling problem in general.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

It should be banned. I’ve always felt sorry for young people (and rightfully so) who had to wear sponsor-less shirts due to the legalities of it. 

Gambling addiction is a real societal problem, especially on our high streets, more so in pre-pandemic times. 

Breaking the link between the sport and gambling is important. 

If they are worried about lost revenue, there should be a fund lower-league clubs can tap into to compensate. I don’t think it will be an issue in the long-run, it will just encourage clubs to be resourceful. Perhaps it will help reconnect clubs with their locality - like shirt sponsorships with universities we’ve seen in lower tiers. 

One thing they should avoid however, is when clubs start getting sponsored by countries with abysmal human rights records. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I think the message to kids is that gambling almost goes hand in hand with the sport.

That's the message gambling companies have successfully promoted to both adults and kids for years now. If all that amazing FUN you've been having gambling somehow manages to stop, then stop gambling. Yet again, as with pretty much everything, governments are way too slow to regulate the industry correctly. Another example would be vapes, here's a totally unregulated product that's more addictive than heroin and tastes likes sweets. What could possibly go wrong with that? 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I'm ok with gambling being legal, but to see it shoved in ones face non-stop during football matches both on the stadium, players and commercials is frustrating to say the least.

Same here. For people like my son (10) watching games either on TV or in a stadium he will be conditioned to think that watching and betting on a game go hand in hand.

It isn’t like horse racing because they only exists for the betting. Football is an entertainment form in its own right and doesn’t need gambling. If people want to bet on it then it’s absolutely fine, but just move it away from being rammed down throats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I agree it needs to be banned, also ads during games are dominated by gambling. 

This.

It's really annoying where nearly every advert or every 2nd advert nowadays is Ray Whinstone offering bets galore, Coral/Ladbrokes or Jeff promoting Sky Bet.

It's all very well the government rolling out "When the fun stops, stop" and "Gamble aware" stickers and campaigns, but does that stop Danny walking in to his local high street bookie and slamming in £200 in 5 minutes into a Routlette machine? or Terry from sitting at home logged on and draining the family bank account playing the online slots? No, not really.

The government still allow it to happen because like Denise Coates, they are taking in millions of pounds every year from poor and gullible people who are reminded on TV '24/7' to "Bet in play.... Naaaaa'ow".

• Like 2

I never understood that 'If the funs stops stop' message, it's meant to be some sort warning, but seems almost like a veiled advertisment for gamling to me, because it can almost be read as if it's saying it's okay to put on a bet as long as you're having fun, and I can't but help wonder if that's the intention.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I believe this would be a positive move. Gambling companies have a stranglehold on shirt and sleeve sponsorship in the league. 

More diverse advertising is needed, and this would be a step in the right direction. 

There are hundreds of thousands of gambling addicts out there, and this only serves to tempt them, alongside the relentless gambling adverts during games and on advertising boards. 

Make it happen BoJo. Even though I think you’re a tit overall. 

Tenner says they don’t 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, useless said:

I never understood that 'If the funs stops stop' message, it's meant to be some sort warning, but seems almost like a veiled advertisment for gamling to me, because it can almost be read as if it's saying it's okay to put on a bet as long as you're having fun, and I can't but help wonder if that's the intention.

It is and that's what happens when a industry "self-regulates". Basically they pretend to care, just like the drink aware message, but actually they couldn't give a toss. Look in your local bookies, it's the same lads in there everyday losing thousands every year. That's steady income for the betting companies, the more addicts the more profit. 

Edited by villa89

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It is and that's what happens when a industry "self-regulates". Basically they pretend to care, just like the drink aware message, but actually they couldn't give a toss. Look in your local bookies, it's the same lads in there everyday giving losing thousands every year. That's steady income for the betting companies, the more addicts the more profit. 

exactly, regulation needs to come from the government here. what incentives do the betting companies have to decrease the marketing of their products that generate their revenues? none! it's in their interest to get as many people as possible hooked on their products. "Stop when the fun stops" is an awful message that more promotes gambling than promotes carefulness. It basically says "gambling is the shit! oh and if you're getting anxiety over your raging debt and broken family relationships, then just stop for a bit yeah?"

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

I just hope that this is a ban that will take place in a couple of months time to give clubs the chance to switch sponsors, because otherwise the financial impact might be catastrophical for some clubs in the short term which wouldn't be good for the league.

It wouldn't be immediate anyway.   What it will say is no NEW sponsorship from summer 2021 can be gambling firms, the ones who already have a legally binding contract will be allowed 1-2 year grace to allow the contracts to expire.

Edited by ender4

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It wouldn't be immediate anyway.   What it would do is to say no NEW sponsorship from the summer can be gambling firms, the ones who already have a legally binding contract will probbaly be allowed 1-2 year grace to allow the contracts to expire.

no I fully expect the timeline to be realistic with potential exceptions for clubs that find it harder to find sponsorship. I read one article that said the plan was for the ban to be fully implemented sometime in 2023 for all of the leagues which sounds like more than enough time to work with.

not sure about the normal lengths of these contracts but I'm sure the law would ensure that legal contracts are allowed to run to their expiry dates even if this is longer than 2023. Not sure about crazy deals like 10 year deals that would overshoot the deadline by a long time, those would probably have to be forcefully terminated with government regulatory involvement. I'm no expert in this part of the law by any means, even less so in terms of UK laws, but I'm sure all of this is being discussed as part of this ban.

Edited by osmark86

Â