Affordable Gifts for the Overtly Generous

Mandy Lifeboats

7 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Leatherman Wave. 

I keep this handy and its come in handy so many times.  Its just so handy to have something that will sort most small DIY and repairs.  Worth every penny.  

wave.jpg

I have a multi tool, love it. 

Keep going, ML.  I'm writing a list of wants based off of this thread :D

(Family and friends keep asking what I want.  I keep replying "well err, nothing really".  Don't you know there's a pandemic going on.  I now have my Mother threatening to buy me a new cheap toaster and microwave if I don't tell them what I want.  I don't need any of those!). 

Edited by trekka

Interesting topic, and I really don't want to derail it - but do people in the UK really think of a Leatherman Wave as a 'cheapskate' Christmas present? Over here, the lowest retail price is 100 pounds.

On topic: it really helps to know the person you're buying it for - for a guitarist: a new set of strings etc, for a dedicated home cook it might be something else entirely...

Edited by TB
Fixed grammar, added suggestion
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TB said:

Interesting topic, and I really don't want to derail it - but do people in the UK really think of a Leatherman Wave as a 'cheapskate' Christmas present in the UK? Over here, the lowest retail price is 100 pounds.

I originally wrote the topic title as “affordable”.  Someone else has changed it to “cheapskate”.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I originally wrote the topic title as “affordable”.  Someone else has changed it to “cheapskate”.  

New word filter on VT? 😀

• Like 1

But OT: I have a pair of these: 71dabsS48LL._AC_SX522_.jpg

SRS-XB12: Lightweight (8.8 ounces each), appx 16 hours playtime, decent sound for the size, IP67 certified, and best of all - if you have two of them, once they're turned on, they link automatically into a L/R configuration without a cumbersome app once you've set them up.

Edited by TB
added some more specs

This probably won't arrive in time for Christmas (ordered from eBay), but you'd probably be able to find something in a similar vein in the UK:

s-l1600.jpg

Power Delivery on USB-C port, Quick Charge 3.0 on one USB-A port, two more 2.4 A USB-A ports. 48W in total.

14 hours ago, TB said:

And also this:

1383498036-04150800.png

Small and lightweight, but very bright nonetheless, variable beam focus. Very happy with it.

I've grown very fond of the rechargeable ones with the USB built in. The ease and convenience of it makes sure that the thing is actually charged when I need it. Like yesterdays poweroutage.

24-975_xl_2.jpg

15 hours ago, TB said:

And also this:

1383498036-04150800.png

Small and lightweight, but very bright nonetheless, variable beam focus. Very happy with it.

That’s really good actually. Mine’s not in the slightest bit convincing.

• Haha 1

On 20/11/2020 at 21:08, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Leatherman Wave. 

I keep this with me and its come in handy so many times.  Its worth every penny to have something that will sort most small DIY and repairs.  Worth every penny.  

wave.jpg

I picked up some Leatherman Squirts for myself and various family members a few years ago. Over the years everybody has commented on how useful they are. 

Edited by Rds1983

35 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I picked up some Leather an Squirts for myself and various family members a few years ago. Over the years everybody has commented on how useful they are. 

We’ve all been there. 

• Haha 2

Leatherman Wave. 

I keep this with me and its come in handy so many times.  Its worth every penny to have something that will sort most small DIY and repairs.  Worth every penny.  

wave.jpg

Good suggestion. As a cheaper alternative for some, I’ve always liked my Victorinox Swiss Army knife.  Had a couple for about 20 years and still serving me well.

• Like 1

Leatherman Wave. 

wave.jpg

I honestly don't get these. I can see a knife being useful in a pinch, as well as an emergency bottle opener/scissors that are crap but get the job done in a pinch.

Who has ever urgently needed 2 different types of file, or 2 different types of wire cutters? Or a very small and impractical saw? They've always just seemed like a bit of a gimmick to me. I'd rather spend the money on a handful of decent tools and a toolbox to keep in the boot. 

Edited by Davkaus

Â