The Art Thread

villa_shere

5 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

In my opinion it's the value of the art.

Thanks. What is the value of art? (This isn't a trick question - there's no right or wrong answer - I'm genuinely interested in this subject.)

• 1 month later...
On 10/05/2022 at 03:33, AvonVillain said:

Thanks. What is the value of art? (This isn't a trick question - there's no right or wrong answer - I'm genuinely interested in this subject.)

Expression of self.

It's an incredible phenomena that we are each so different and unique, all of us true originals and one of a kind, and yet we find ourselves so undeniably together in all of this. Whether we like it or not, this relationship has meaning as we have the ability to understand one another, choosing to exercise and practice that ability is perhaps another story.

To be able to share and communicate through any medium so that we evoke and convey ourselves and what's in our heart of heart's, or mind's eye.

And while I'm no one to speak for @Mandy Lifeboats, I wonder if the phrase artistic merit really needs to be qualified beyond saying it didn't speak to him.

Avon, again not wanting to speak for you either, I like the idea of stimulating a discussion on this and inviting others to share their viewpoint. Life is an art. And I encourage anyone to embrace the artist of life in themselves. 

• Like 1

When I wrote of a lack of artistic merit I was writing about Banksy's early work.  I am a fan of his later work.  Its thought provoking, brings art to the masses and is production  is a performance in itself.  But his early work does none of those things.  It's no better or worse than most graffiti.  It's just there because he went on to do better things.

29 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

When I wrote of a lack of artistic merit I was writing about Banksy's early work.  I am a fan of his later work.  Its thought provoking, brings art to the masses and is production  is a performance in itself.  But his early work does none of those things.  It's no better or worse than most graffiti.  It's just there because he went on to do better things.

Yes, but who qualifies what's better than what? There's no universal measurement. I think that's what Avon was trying to elicit.

I think the Banksy mural on the Gaza strip was immensely daring and profound in its simplicity. Other than that he doesn't appeal to me all that much.

I've probably said before but I nearly went to jail for graffiti. Much better out there than Banksy.

I'm glad to of experienced such an underground movement.

23 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I live in the area, and I know this sounds like ITK BS but used to be friends with some 'graff artists', as they called themselves, in and around Bristol, who knew Banksy. They actually didn't rate him as an artist at all, and talk of Blek le Rat came about, and 'sell out' and things.

I found this quite odd as their own work was quite tag heavy, but not knowing about the culture greatly, guessed this was the 'pure' and unvarnished approach or something. I went to Dismal Land in WSM and found it concept heavy and artwork light.

But I'm a fan of any art that gets the conversation of art going, and quite like what Banksy does. I thought his earliest work was that of the likes of the teddy bear throwing a molotov cocktail at policeman in Stokes Croft, Bristol? Which is really going back and does exactly what most all of Banksy's work does. Do you mean work earlier than that? If so I don't know it at all.

I wouldn't imagine a single person on these boards would agree with my concept of 'good art' incidentally, as it's exactly the kind of stuff the popular media has mocked, well, forever..

22 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Yes, but who qualifies what's better than what? There's no universal measurement. I think that's what Avon was trying to elicit.

Absolutely. But what I find really interesting is the people who dismiss a certain kind of art without knowing or bothering to find out a single thing about it. The next time someone dismisses Damien Hirst's shark, for example, ask them what it's called. My experience is they won't have the first idea, and will be completely baffled as to why someone would even ask.

58 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I thought his earliest work was that of the likes of the teddy bear throwing a molotov cocktail at policeman in Stokes Croft, Bristol? Which is really going back and does exactly what most all of Banksy's work does. Do you mean work earlier than that? If so I don't know it at all.

There are many before that. Although there is no definitive catalogue written by Bansky. 

One that is widely recognised as containing Banksy artwork  is called "Take The Money and Run". 

https://www.gpsmycity.com/attractions/take-the-money-and-run-9946.html

"One of Banksy's oldest surviving works in Bristol" 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Added details
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It just struck me that English doesn't have a word for how we experience visual art. If you're telling someone about your tastes in various artforms, you might say: "I read a lot of science fiction", "I like to watch European films", "I mainly listen to jazz", etc. But what do you do with paintings, or sculpture? Saying "I look at British landscapes" doesn't sound right. "Appreciate" doesn't work either (it's more a comment on your judgement than simply the process). Same with "like" - you may not like all of it, any more than you like every SF book you read, or jazz album you listen to. 

I find this curious. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It just struck me that English doesn't have a word for how we experience visual art. If you're telling someone about your tastes in various artforms, you might say: "I read a lot of science fiction", "I like to watch European films", "I mainly listen to jazz", etc. But what do you do with paintings, or sculpture? 

That's one view, I suppose 

1 minute ago, blandy said:

That's one view, I suppose 

"I tend to view mainly renaissance art". Hmm. It's the best suggestion, I agree, but it still sounds a bit awkward. 

• Like 1

Â