The Art Thread

villa_shere

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Birmingham Surrealism 

It is roughly a century since the birth of Surrealism, a movement that flourished across Europe in the late 1910s and early 1920s.

The strangest art movement of the twentieth century, it's usually associated with Paris, where the Surrealist group was founded by André Breton. Salvador Dalí, Joan Miró and May Ray are the artists it immediately brings to mind: they focused on picturing the unconscious and uncanny.

But the world is also waking up to dreamy British Surrealism. A new show at Dulwich Picture Gallery, 'British Surrealism: 1783–1952', celebrates the UK artists that contributed to this iconic movement. And although British Surrealism was launched in London, its most subversive and scandalous members were, in fact, based in Birmingham.

:snip:

No Birmingham Surrealists exhibited in this show, and rumour has it that they refused to take part. From the 1930s to the 1950s, Birmingham was home to five Surrealist artists: Conroy Maddox(1912–2005), John Melville (1902–1986), Emmy Bridgwater (1906–1999), Oscar Mellor (1921–2005) and Desmond Morris (b.1928).

From the very beginning, these Birmingham artists saw themselves as opposed to the London group. They believed that many of these artists were 'anti-surrealists' and involved in the movement just for exposure. 'No doubt it was possible to perceive Surrealist imagery in a lot of paintings, but that hardly made them Surrealist', declared Maddox. Desmond Morris felt the same way: 'we were truer to the ideals of the movement.'

Art uk link

Wasn’t aware of this group. They apparently used to drink in The Trocadero in Temple Street.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Never understood why Vincent van Gogh was so popular. He paints to the level of an eight year old.

He just can't cut it!?

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

I’m a philistine when it comes to art , that potato eaters painting is pants … I’m a bit like you in that I like what I like 

but starry night is an interesting piece , more so when you see it at the Van Gogh immersive experience when they bring it to life 

I’ve  been to a numerous  museums and galleries and tbf some of the paintings on display are impressive , I’m just not going to stand there talking about it’s subversive potential  and bullshit like the subaqueous qualities of the biomorphic forms spatially undermines the larger carcass.

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m a philistine when it comes to art , that potato eaters painting is pants … I’m a bit like you in that I like what I like 

but starry night is an interesting piece , more so when you see it at the Van Gogh immersive experience when they bring it to life 

I’ve  been to a numerous  museums and galleries and tbf some of the paintings on display are impressive , I’m just not going to stand there talking about it’s subversive potential  and bullshit like the subaqueous qualities of the biomorphic forms spatially undermines the larger carcass.

I agree, I tend to stand, take it in, like or don't like, and then move on. My wife can still be looking at the first painting whilst I am exiting through the gift shop.

51 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I am also a philistine when it comes to art, but yesterday I saw a painting by Frederic Church, and just thought it was one of the most amazing paintings I had ever seen, yet van Gogh paintings sell for obscene amounts, and he is unbelievably famous. I can't believe the sunflower is one of the most famous paintings ever.

1 minute ago, luckyeddie said:

I am also a philistine when it comes to art, but yesterday I saw a painting by Frederic Church, and just thought it was one of the most amazing paintings I had ever seen, yet van Gogh paintings sell for obscene amounts, and he is unbelievably famous. I can't believe the sunflower is one of the most famous paintings ever.

I think his sunflowers are superb. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Sunflowers, as you say is one of the most famous paintings ever, in 1987 it sold for £40m, cheap by todays standards, for one of the most famous paintings ever. A Frederick Church painting sold in 2018 for around £5m, its not a competition, but a moderately known painter of landscapes, versus the most well known artists, most well known piece, thats still a fairly good price for the Church painting. But, its not about comparing. I think VGV's popularity and the beauty in his paintings comes from his short period of activity (10 years), the life he led and his sanity being reflected in his work. This was an incredibly complex man. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

Never understood why Vincent van Gogh was so popular. He paints to the level of an eight year old.

His contemporaries would have agreed with you, seeing as he only managed to sell one painting in his lifetime. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Sunflowers, as you say is one of the most famous paintings ever, in 1987 it sold for £40m, cheap by todays standards, for one of the most famous paintings ever. A Frederick Church painting sold in 2018 for around £5m, its not a competition, but a moderately known painter of landscapes, versus the most well known artists, most well known piece, thats still a fairly good price for the Church painting. But, its not about comparing. I think VGV's popularity and the beauty in his paintings comes from his short period of activity (10 years), the life he led and his sanity being reflected in his work. This was an incredibly complex man. 

Maybe that's the issue I have, it is his back story that makes the paintings, rather than the actual paintings. When I look at art, I either like it, don't like it or am indifferent. I have no interest in the person behind it.

Edit Except Stephen Wiltshire, who is an autistic savant. His backstory makes his work so impressive.

Edited by luckyeddie
  • Like 1

Brought over here....

4 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

Maybe that's the issue I have, it is his back story that makes the paintings, rather than the actual paintings. When I look at art, I either like it, don't like it or am indifferent. I have no interest in the person behind it.

And that is fine, for me I think it's fine. Sometimes the art alone is enough, and for me my enjoyment isn't fully dictated by the life of the artist, but it certainly allows me to add perspective to what they create. Basquiat and his drug use, Frida Kahlo's work in particular Henry Ford Hospital, which depicts her miscarriage, as well as her post accident work, Henry Ford Hospital is one of my favourite paintings. 

I do actually agree with you to a degree, as I do not know the entire life of every artist, but try to pick up a little, and if I find something startling, or fairly revolutionary, I will look, a little, into their life and what their influence was at the time. 

I would post Kahlos Henry Ford Hospital but although not graphic, might not be suitable.

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 2

Â