The Art Thread

villa_shere

My current favourite piece of art is The Arnolfini Portrait by Jan van Eyck. 

A link to a zoomable version https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/jan-van-eyck-the-arnolfini-portrait

1070406-the-arnolfini-portrait.jpg

It is, in my view quite stunning, I keep looking at it and time and again pick up something I missed. I love the mirror reflecting the backs of the subjects and other figures,  that Van Eyck in a prominent position has "Jan van eyck was here", the dragons, the dog, the light from the window, the detail in the faces. Its a phenomenal painting. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

My current favourite piece of art is The Arnolfini Portrait by Jan van Eyck. 

A link to a zoomable version https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/jan-van-eyck-the-arnolfini-portrait

1070406-the-arnolfini-portrait.jpg

It is, in my view quite stunning, I keep looking at it and time and again pick up something I missed. I love the mirror reflecting the backs of the subjects and other figures,  that Van Eyck in a prominent position has "Jan van eyck was here", the dragons, the dog, the light from the window, the detail in the faces. Its a phenomenal painting. 

We have it on our living room wall.

IMG20231218134826.jpg

• Like 1

Over the last few months we've been watching Sky's Portrait Artist of the Year competition. They've been doing it for about 10 years and you can watch all the old series and it's quite compelling viewing. I used to be a bit arty when I was a kid and was forever drawing stuff and interested in arts and crafts. I got to a be a decent 'drawer' but nothing more and then left it behind. I could never expect to get on this show.

But watching it, for all the incredible work they do, and there is a lot of really good stuff, you do see some stuff and just think the artists are just doing shit to look different, or sometimes you do wonder how they got on the show. In the category of 'just doing shit to be different' there's the weird stuff like randomly swiping a thin colour over the painting in various areas to... *shrug*, gluing random bits of fabric onto the canvas, letting drips run down... and you're left wondering what does that tell me about the sitter, what has that added to the painting that wasn't there before you did it?

And then you get this.

Polly-Walker.2021.jpg

I feel bad for taking the piss, it's almost certainly better than I could do in 4 hours in front of the cameras with Stephen Mangan bothering me, but that portrait had us howling. Currently up for sale for a grand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Â