Wifi and routers

KenjiOgiwara

• 2 months later...

Please be gentle with me, I have very little knowledge of these things.

Our wifi doesn't reach my home office and son's bedroom upstairs, but the previous owner installed 2 ethernet wall sockets. So downstairs, I've got an ethernet cable from my modem in to the wall socket in the living room and I plug my laptop in to the other wall socket in the office and it works perfectly.

But in terms of getting wifi extended to the dead spots, would I need to get a mesh system like that's already been discussed in this thread, or is there something I can buy to plug in to the wall socket upstairs to extend my wifi?

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Our wifi doesn't reach my home office and son's bedroom upstairs, but the previous owner installed 2 ethernet wall sockets. So downstairs, I've got an ethernet cable from my modem in to the wall socket in the living room and I plug my laptop in to the other wall socket in the office and it works perfectly.

But in terms of getting wifi extended to the dead spots, would I need to get a mesh system like that's already been discussed in this thread, or is there something I can buy to plug in to the wall socket upstairs to extend my wifi?

Speak to your broadband provider. Most of them offer range extenders.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Have you tried moving the router/modem? People usually have the modem near to where the line comes into the house - next to the open reach socket, but it may be that moving the router to a different spot improves the wi-fi coverage. I guess it depends on what your arrangement is and how you'd route a longer cable and where the electric sockets are located, but you can have the ethernet cable from the BT socket to the router be up to 100m length (any ethernet cable run can be up to 100m). I used to run an ethernet cable from the router into the next room to the Sky box and probably a lot of folk did the same, so if you've got an old lengthy ethernet cable you could try moving the router to somewhere more central and seeing if that makes a difference.

Or just do what limpid said...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/10/2023 at 14:48, Paddywhack said:

Mesh systems work really well. We've had our house rewired so had it networked at the same time, but before that we used a few Deco tp-links, and they were more than adequate. We've got an old house with really thick stone walls, and they worked fine. All the Decos are just in a drawer now, so if you'd like to try a couple, PM me your details and I'll post them off to you.

• Like 1

On 15/10/2023 at 17:13, Risso said:

Mesh systems work really well. We've had our house rewired so had it networked at the same time, but before that we used a few Deco tp-links, and they were more than adequate. We've got an old house with really thick stone walls, and they worked fine. All the Decos are just in a drawer now, so if you'd like to try a couple, PM me your details and I'll post them off to you.

Ah that’s really kind of you, thank you! I should be alright though, my brother in law is coming round this weekend and he says he’s got something for me to try (it might be decos!). If it fails, I might come back annoying you :D

On 15/10/2023 at 17:13, Risso said:

I can confirm the Decos are a great piece of kit.  And the app that comes with it is really easy to use for a novice but has lots of options for those with a little more knowledge.  

46 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Ah that’s really kind of you, thank you! I should be alright though, my brother in law is coming round this weekend and he says he’s got something for me to try (it might be decos!). If it fails, I might come back annoying you :D

No worries, offer stands if you need them!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one of you clever chaps!

I've got a Cisco 887VA router at the office that currently has an ADSL internet connection going in via an RJ11 connector. We have recently changed to full fibre to property and have an RJ45 cable from the OTP. There are four ethernet ports on the back of the 887VA so my question is how do I make one of those ports accept my new internet. 

I need the 887VA as it used for a Cisco vpn when abroad so can access the on premise server.

12 minutes ago, jim said:

Here's one of you clever chaps!

I've got a Cisco 887VA router at the office that currently has an ADSL internet connection going in via an RJ11 connector. We have recently changed to full fibre to property and have an RJ45 cable from the OTP. There are four ethernet ports on the back of the 887VA so my question is how do I make one of those ports accept my new internet. 

I need the 887VA as it used for a Cisco vpn when abroad so can access the on premise server.

I don't think that you can. From memory, this is an xDSL router. You might need to upgrade to a modern VPN. Presumably Cisco will sell you a ridiculously priced ASA appliance.

(Says me having almost finishing removing all the VPN from my employer. And almost all of the on prem servers.)

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I don't think that you can. From memory, this is an xDSL router. You might need to upgrade to a modern VPN. Presumably Cisco will sell you a ridiculously priced ASA appliance.

(Says me having almost finishing removing all the VPN from my employer. And almost all of the on prem servers.)

Thanks Limpid, I was hoping you weren't going to say that. Asked the same question to Cisco and this is what they have come back with. May as well be in Mandarin!

It seems your previous broadband was ADSL/VDSL based. Your new connection is ethernet based. You will have to migrate yourconfiguration to ethernet.

As a an example you would create vlan 4 and configure the interface connected to the ONt to be int vlan 4. Then configure Interface vlan4 to be your Outside interface ( or NAT Outside interface if using NAT). You probably have a Dialer interface currently configured. If that is the case then you will need to bind that to interface vlan 4  e.g.

interface Vlan4
ip nat outside
pppoe enable group global
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

yes you can use the WAN ports  - based on the availability ports in the router and follow the BT DSL config to get IP address.

10 minutes ago, jim said:

Thanks Limpid, I was hoping you weren't going to say that. Asked the same question to Cisco and this is what they have come back with. May as well be in Mandarin!

It seems your previous broadband was ADSL/VDSL based. Your new connection is ethernet based. You will have to migrate yourconfiguration to ethernet.

As a an example you would create vlan 4 and configure the interface connected to the ONt to be int vlan 4. Then configure Interface vlan4 to be your Outside interface ( or NAT Outside interface if using NAT). You probably have a Dialer interface currently configured. If that is the case then you will need to bind that to interface vlan 4  e.g.

interface Vlan4
ip nat outside
pppoe enable group global
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

yes you can use the WAN ports  - based on the availability ports in the router and follow the BT DSL config to get IP address.

This technobabble is why people take Cisco qualifications.

Get rid of the on prem server and your problems disappear.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

This technobabble is why people take Cisco qualifications.

Get rid of the on prem server and your problems disappear.

I'd love to but we use it for Sage 50 and I don't have the funds to upgrade to a cloud solution just now.

You could get someone to host a Sage instance for you, but I'd have thought your account rep would be bribing you to move to their cloud version. Or you could just import into Xero.

Pay for it by selling / not replacing the server and hideously overpriced Cisco networking gear and not having to maintain VPN software on user devices.

PS I don't know anything about accountancy software.

9 minutes ago, limpid said:

You could get someone to host a Sage instance for you, but I'd have thought your account rep would be bribing you to move to their cloud version. Or you could just import into Xero.

Pay for it by selling / not replacing the server and hideously overpriced Cisco networking gear and not having to maintain VPN software on user devices.

PS I don't know anything about accountancy software.

Cheers, long term goal is to move cloud based as it is a PITA using a vpn to log in when outside UK.

I had a quote for their new cloud based system and they want £30k plus onboarding. We use Sage for accounting, payroll and manufacturing and costs me £3k a year so big difference at the moment. Xero won't do everything I need but looking at quick books as an alternative.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jim said:

Cheers, long term goal is to move cloud based as it is a PITA using a vpn to log in when outside UK.

I had a quote for their new cloud based system and they want £30k plus onboarding. We use Sage for accounting, payroll and manufacturing and costs me £3k a year so big difference at the moment. Xero won't do everything I need but looking at quick books as an alternative.

£3k for the software, but you have to add on hardware, OS, support, patching and networking.

As the Cisco-dude said, it looks like a possibility but holy hell :D I had a look at this thread for someone doing the same thing but with an external modem.
https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/wan-on-cisco-877/td-p/1694888

You really need someone versed in the Cisco jungle for a potential success.

7 hours ago, limpid said:

£3k for the software, but you have to add on hardware, OS, support, patching and networking.

True, but I’ve already got the gear. I’ll do it at some point, hopefully the other cloud solutions will give me what I need.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tegis said:

As the Cisco-dude said, it looks like a possibility but holy hell :D I had a look at this thread for someone doing the same thing but with an external modem.
https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/wan-on-cisco-877/td-p/1694888

You really need someone versed in the Cisco jungle for a potential success.

I noped out after the first post 😂 I know a guy so might just have to stick my hand in my pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back again, exploring other options, instead of using the cisco router could I use windows remote desktop from outside my network? Would I need to use a vpn? @limpid

Â