Wifi and routers

KenjiOgiwara

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

My WiFi connection is awful. Have tried everything except replacing the router.

Soooo... anyone tried the google Mesh solution? Is it a viable alternative to a high end Asus router? 

It's supposed to be good. But you can mesh Asus routers as well. That way you might not have to throw your existing one out, just add another one. They mesh both over a ehternet backbone (prefered) or wireless only.

One thing left out in many tutorials. The extended mesh node, if you can have a wired backbone to it, must be connected on the WAN port for some strange reason.

On 18/03/2020 at 10:03, KenjiOgiwara said:

My WiFi connection is awful. Have tried everything except replacing the router.

Soooo... anyone tried the google Mesh solution? Is it a viable alternative to a high end Asus router? 

I use the 1st gen version. It's pretty much faultless on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I've had to reboot it once in 18 months. It updates itself. I believe that the latest version integrates into the Google Home app, but mine uses a separate app. Are you looking for particular features?

I use it with a Draytek router, but that's not relevant.

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

I use the 1st gen version. It's pretty much faultless on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I've had to reboot it once in 18 months. It updates itself. I believe that the latest version integrates into the Google Home app, but mine uses a separate app. Are you looking for particular features?

I use it with a Draytek router, but that's not relevant.

Nah mate. Just want 1) Better signals through out the apartment. 2) Better stability. My current wifi tends to drop with massive massive lags and general performance half the time I use it, and our provider says it's 100% the router. The router is in a plastic cabinet centrally in the apartment. I've tried updates, resets, everything, but nothing works. 

17 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Nah mate. Just want 1) Better signals through out the apartment. 2) Better stability. My current wifi tends to drop with massive massive lags and general performance half the time I use it, and our provider says it's 100% the router. The router is in a plastic cabinet centrally in the apartment. I've tried updates, resets, everything, but nothing works. 

Sound like it's upstream. Have you tried plugging into the router for a while and see if you get the lag? Why would you believe the provider?

35 minutes ago, limpid said:

Sound like it's upstream. Have you tried plugging into the router for a while and see if you get the lag? Why would you believe the provider?

I don't know. Telenor is a huge company and internet delivery in Norway is pretty much excellent. I've never had any problems with them before really, so I just believed them. 

Yeah I'm gonna try cable one more time. 

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't know. Telenor is a huge company and internet delivery in Norway is pretty much excellent. I've never had any problems with them before really, so I just believed them. 

Yeah I'm gonna try cable one more time. 

The other possibility is that it's some appliance nearby causing lots of EM nois. Have you got something that you can leave running monitoring say ping times to see if there's a pattern?

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The mesh works a dream so far. Old router was shite it seems 

I bought a pair of Nest wifi units. One of them is plugged into my router and my original two Google wifi units are added to the mesh. It all just works.

So is Google mesh something that plugs into your router and an additional hot spot so to speak? Our Virgin Media hub 3 is so temperamental im looking at alternatives.  We currently have the hub,  and an extender upstairs and it's still a very unstable signal/ connection. 

I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to tech, but to me this seems like a 2 part system. I bought the 3 nodes deal. The first node is plugged into the fiber box and operates as my main router. Then you got two similar nodes that basically just are branches of the main node. I assume it's just a way of bettering the WiFi coverage around your flat. 

26 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to tech, but to me this seems like a 2 part system. I bought the 3 nodes deal. The first node is plugged into the fiber box and operates as my main router. Then you got two similar nodes that basically just are branches of the main node. I assume it's just a way of bettering the WiFi coverage around your flat. 

The three form a mesh, rather than branches, so where appropriate one will talk to the other rather than always going back to the base. This is particularly good if your fibre box is at one end of your flat.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up going for a TP-Link Deco M5 setup.  3 units in total,  which it seems was overkill on my part as most devices connect to the router unit even when there's another unit closer.  Signal is stable throughout the house.  Setting up was easy,  the app gives step by step instructions and has lots of features.   The VM hub 3 really is a piece of trash it appears!

• 3 years later...

I have a strange wifi issue I hope someone can help with.

Firstly, we have Virgin Media broadband but use a separate Asu’s wifi router (the Virgin box is in modem mode).

The issue, for some unknown reason the wifi often drops out for a couple of minutes when someone leaves the house/network. It happens pretty much every time my wife goes out to collect my daughter from school. It also happens when I go out. It’s like the router reboots or something, I don’t know why, but all devices lose connection temporarily then it comes back online after a few minutes.

Has anyone ever heard of this problem?

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

Has anyone ever heard of this problem?

Do you have something you can plug in with a network-cable in the Asus thing. Just to rule out if it is the entire thing or just the wifi.

Any "smart things" connected to the door? like a camera doorbell or something?

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

Do you have something you can plug in with a network-cable in the Asus thing. Just to rule out if it is the entire thing or just the wifi.

Any "smart things" connected to the door? like a camera doorbell or something?

Actually you might be onto something here… the wife has a desk phone for work that connects into the router via an ethernet cable (which goes around the house via those sockets).

She logs out of the phone before she leaves, I wonder if that is causing the router to do a big fart and reset itself?

• 2 weeks later...

My Google wifi mesh which has been rock solid since I installed it about 3 plus years ago is now reaching the point of being not fit for purpose.

I have to reboot the network every couple of days and then the mesh reports good connections. 2 days later and it reports as being weak. I now in the process of connecting the point in the back room via Ethernet to try and keep some kind of service.

I had 5 points which I reduced to three as it appeared that they were causing interference with each other.

Can anybody recommend an alternative that also supports the new wifi 6 standard?

29 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

My Google wifi mesh which has been rock solid since I installed it about 3 plus years ago is now reaching the point of being not fit for purpose.

I have to reboot the network every couple of days and then the mesh reports good connections. 2 days later and it reports as being weak. I now in the process of connecting the point in the back room via Ethernet to try and keep some kind of service.

I had 5 points which I reduced to three as it appeared that they were causing interference with each other.

Can anybody recommend an alternative that also supports the new wifi 6 standard?

I'm using the new Google ones. You might not need a mesh as the range is much better with 6e.

I suppose it's an obvious question, but have you tried a factory reset?

Â