Wifi and routers

KenjiOgiwara

3 hours ago, jim said:

I'm back again, exploring other options, instead of using the cisco router could I use windows remote desktop from outside my network? Would I need to use a vpn? @limpid

For a regular windows remote desktop you need a VPN to access the network it resides on. You can setup a RDS and publish it via a Azure application-proxy but that is also a faff, and it needs to be licenced.

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

For a regular windows remote desktop you need a VPN to access the network it resides on. You can setup a RDS and publish it via a Azure application-proxy but that is also a faff, and it needs to be licenced.

Cheers I'm probably better off with something like any viewer/team viewer as I've only got three people who will need it.

39 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Novice question, just had a new VOIP phone but the broadband is well sketchy with Virgin, is BT generally the better option 

You could get Virgin to fix their "sketchy" service. When did you last upgrade the router?

Any comparison is going to depend on many things, even down to the street you live on.

59 minutes ago, limpid said:

You could get Virgin to fix their "sketchy" service. When did you last upgrade the router?

Any comparison is going to depend on many things, even down to the street you live on.

last year, will have a word, cheers 

On 06/11/2023 at 16:55, jim said:

Cheers I'm probably better off with something like any viewer/team viewer as I've only got three people who will need it.

I don’t know if you ever solved this, but another option is WireGuard.  If you want to make it very easy, you can use Tailscale, which is based on WireGuard, and allows up to 3 free users.  Makes setting up a vpn an absolute breeze.

50 minutes ago, Thug said:

I don’t know if you ever solved this, but another option is WireGuard.  If you want to make it very easy, you can use Tailscale, which is based on WireGuard, and allows up to 3 free users.  Makes setting up a vpn an absolute breeze.

Thanks, no not sorted yet. I’ll take a look at those appreciate the advice.

3 minutes ago, Thug said:

Does sage 50 run as a service, or does it run as an application?

Data Service . Current set up is we have Sage on an on premise server. Everyone within the network has Sage installed and they access the data.

The remote users have PC’s with Sage installed onsite. When remote they use the Cisco vpn to remote access. 

I have an ASUS RT-AX82U router that I'm pleased with, but living in an old house with thick walls, the wifi can be patchy in the far corners - particularly as the router itself is tucked away in a corner owing to the master socket location.

I have a mesh system set up via a 6 or 7-year-old BT Whole Home pack of 3 discs.

This ASUS thing supports AiMesh, so I think that would be the right move. I have a laptop and Series X in my office, the kids are usually streaming on at least one device each.

Any tips or advice on what I should buy?

• 1 month later...

I would also be interested in the answer to @NurembergVillan question above, looking at a mesh wifi but have no idea where to start.

I'm using Virgin Media, but since installing a couple of Alexa's and smart plugs a few weeks ago by wifi connection seems to be dropping out all over the place. 250mb package with a fairly strong signal throughout the house so no idea what's going on. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help?

8 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I would also be interested in the answer to @NurembergVillan question above, looking at a mesh wifi but have no idea where to start.

I'm using Virgin Media, but since installing a couple of Alexa's and smart plugs a few weeks ago by wifi connection seems to be dropping out all over the place. 250mb package with a fairly strong signal throughout the house so no idea what's going on. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help?

Turns out AiMesh is a proprietary Asus technology. Bought a pair of Asus XD6 nodes which were dead easy to add to the network, pairing to the RT-AX82U router. Now have blazing-fast wifi all over the house.

I'm with Virgin, albeit business fibre, and had the same thing where the internet was dropping out. The technician came and told me that it was likely that the modem/router couldn't cope with so many devices and was overloading.

When I bought the ASUS router I just put the Virgin box into modem mode and I was away. The reach from the router itself is very good, but I play online games and the Xbox is in one of the farthest rooms so I wanted it as fast as possible everywhere.

I've wired the Xbox to the node so I get minimal interference from other devices too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Turns out AiMesh is a proprietary Asus technology. Bought a pair of Asus XD6 nodes which were dead easy to add to the network, pairing to the RT-AX82U router. Now have blazing-fast wifi all over the house.

I'm with Virgin, albeit business fibre, and had the same thing where the internet was dropping out. The technician came and told me that it was likely that the modem/router couldn't cope with so many devices and was overloading.

When I bought the ASUS router I just put the Virgin box into modem mode and I was away. The reach from the router itself is very good, but I play online games and the Xbox is in one of the farthest rooms so I wanted it as fast as possible everywhere.

I've wired the Xbox to the node so I get minimal interference from other devices too.

Thanks that's really useful, my Xbox is in the furthest room away as well. Will take a look at Asus XD6 Nodes.

• Like 1

Â