What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

I dont really use it the teeth are to long on it for both meat and bread only cost me a few quid ....might give it to the wife as a Christmas present the one to the right of it is my day to day knife ....does just about everything ...its nicely sloped so it gives you a rocking chopping motion ....has nice teeth on the blade so I can carve meat or cut bread 

I dont really use it the teeth are to long on it for both meat and bread only cost me a few quid ....might give it to the wife as a Christmas present the one to the right of it is my day to day knife ....does just about everything ...its nicely sloped so it gives you a rocking chopping motion ....has nice teeth on the blade so I can carve meat or cut bread 

It was just to settle an argument. My brother likes to think of himself as a chef and he has a full set of chef's knives (not actually his) and one of the knives is quite like that one. The blade is quite thick and the teeth are quite rounded and far apart which makes me think it's for meat but he says it's a bread knife.

We call it the Waitrose Challenge.  She goes down to Waitrose at the time when they mark down what they want to get rid of, buys random foodstuffs, comes back and says "There you go.  Do something with that".

Today she got mackerel, noodles, and a 10p bag of rocket.  I already had a sweet potato, so we had Ottolenghi's mackerel with spicy sweet potato pickle and mint and paprika yogurt sauce, with, er, stir-fried noodles and rocket for dressing.

The sweet potato is a bed for the mackerel:

IMG_5630_zpsba104208.jpg

and this is the finished dish:

IMG_5632_zpsa46ab362.jpg

• Like 1

I did boiled egg tonight with a bit of help from some VT'ers via Facebook

Didn't need help for the toast though , that was all my own work

Soldiers, Tony?  Inspired by the tory conference, no doubt.  ;)

He might have tried other cuts

I wonder if he believes in expansionary culinary contraction - a diet of bread and water will somehow transform into lobster and champagne.  ;)

• Like 1

I wonder if he believes in expansionary culinary contraction - a diet of bread and water will somehow transform into lobster and champagne.  ;)

:D Perhaps. I wonder who will get the blame when the 'ECC' doesn't work and he ends up with just a crouton.

:D Perhaps. I wonder who will get the blame when the 'ECC' doesn't work and he ends up with just a crouton.

It's a cruel misrepresentation to suggest that Tony would eat anything as French as a crouton.  I imagine he would suggest you should shove your baguette ou le soleil ne brille pas.

It's a cruel misrepresentation to suggest that Tony would eat anything as French as a crouton.  I imagine he would suggest you should shove your baguette ou le soleil ne brille pas.

I'm not one for french food, but I know fancy cuisine when I hear it, and this baguette ou le soleil ne brille pas sounds lovely. I'll have two, and some chips.

• Like 1

It was just to settle an argument. My brother likes to think of himself as a chef and he has a full set of chef's knives (not actually his) and one of the knives is quite like that one. The blade is quite thick and the teeth are quite rounded and far apart which makes me think it's for meat but he says it's a bread knife.

Well hes right to be fair ....a "carving knife" was traditionally a a thinner chefs knife "chopping"  but over time different knives with different blades/longer teeth etc have come about ....in the heat of battle if it feels good use it ...

Â