What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Go Buy some skinless (this is important) Salmon fillets from the fish counter in Tesco.

Dice them up and marinade them in Honey, Soy Sauce, Lemon, Garlic and Grated Ginger for a few hours (Basic Teryaki)

Cook on a very high heat in a griddle pan, pour the marinading juices over some quick cook noodles and you have dinner for one a la Shillzz.

OK then peeps I am after some help

could anyone provide some recipies suitable to be cooked and eaten by one person, I am finding more and more that when I get home from work I just cant be **** to make anything for dinner because its actually harder to cook for one person than it is for 2 or 3 people (thats what I find anyway) and if I do have dinner it is usually just some frozen meal.

I do cook an awesome curry though.

any tips would be greatly appreciated (the only thing that is a big fat no no is anything with mushrooms in them)

I posted this ages ago.  Some ideas for a week's worth of freshly prepared good meals, trying to limit the amount of work needed.  Lots of these things also work well reheated, if you make twice as much as you need for one meal.

OK then peeps I am after some help

could anyone provide some recipies suitable to be cooked and eaten by one person, I am finding more and more that when I get home from work I just cant be **** to make anything for dinner because its actually harder to cook for one person than it is for 2 or 3 people (thats what I find anyway) and if I do have dinner it is usually just some frozen meal.

I do cook an awesome curry though.

any tips would be greatly appreciated (the only thing that is a big fat no no is anything with mushrooms in them)

This is a delicious meal that is made for one. The link says 'serves 4' because it has it as a starter. I eat it as a main (you can add baby potatoes if you want to add bulk). Cooks in minutes and the majority of prep is chopping some garlic, chillies & grating 2 or 3 tomatoes. Also, the basil element works fine with dried basil flakes. If you like prawns you'll love that dish and it really is a piece of piss to make. DOOOOO IT!

If I lived alone I'd cook large batches of healthy meals to put in the freezer and have them 2-3 times a week to save cooking every night. Cooking and washing up for one can be a bit of a pain, and it sounds like cooking every day isn't your thing. There is nothing better than a freezer full of home cooked food, I'm quite proud of mine. 

Bolognese sauce is a good one for the freezer. I put 2/3 veg to 1/3 meat in mine and it's delicious and healthy. Freezes and reheats well. 

Also, rissottos freeze okay. I cooked a lovely pea and rocket rissotto the other day (of course you would freeze it before putting the rocket in it). 

Steaming vegetables is quick, keeps more of their nutrients and crunch in. Frozen peas and green beans are good. 

Frozen fish is good these days, but make sure you buy sustainable varieties.

cheers folks I've took a good look through the recent posts and there are a few things I am definitely going to give a go

I made a mahoosive chicken & prawn curry the other day and I was well chuffed with it at the time but I have just threw a little curry today with the last of my food it took no time at all and was **** lovely, knocked spots off the one that I slaved over the other day, I didn't measure anything in any way I literally just threw everything in and it came up awesome.

pretty pissed f that it was better than the one the other day after all the effort I put into making it.

Going to make an attempt at saag paneer tonight (if I can find anywhere in town that sellf Paneer that is)

I'll let you know how I get on with it

Just chuck some lime juice into some boiling milk and squeeze the solids out using a muslin cloth. I think.

This is the one I am going to attempt

This is a wonderful velvety dish with large, fresh cubes of paneer. There are just enough spices for a good background flavour and aroma.

Ingredients

Preparation method

2. Blanch the spinach in hot water for three minutes or until wilted. Drain into a colander and run cold water over it until cool. In a food processor or blender, blend to a smooth paste and set aside.

4. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan. Add the cumin and fry for about 30 seconds, until fragrant, then add the onion and fry over a low heat for about six minutes, until soft. Add the ginger, garlic and chillies and cook for a further minute.

6. Add the ground coriander and salt to taste. Cook for another 30 seconds then add the spinach and a splash of water if necessary. The mixture should be loose but not watery. Bring to a boil and then simmer for three minutes.

8. Add the paneer cubes, garam masala and milk or cream. Stir and cook for a few minutes or until the spinach is nice and creamy. Stir in the lemon juice to taste. Serve with pilaff rice or naan bread.

Edited by leemond2008

Sounds simple. Let us know how you get on. Are you vegetarian or just trying a veggie dish? Co-incidentally I'll be doing my garlic/chilli prawn dish tonight that I suggest above. Yum.

Leemond, an Omellette is about the easiest meal in the world to make, and can still be pretty healthy.

Just fry whatever you want to put in it (or cook separately and then dump in a pan for the omelette)

Add 3 whisked eggs mixed with a little millk (about a cup full total I found is the dieal amount)

Fry for 2-3 minutes then stick the pan under a hot grill until it's cooked through (this bti makes it nice and fluffy as opposed to cooking it all on the hob)

And that's it. Add salad or veg or chips or whatever if you want more, but a 3 egg omelette with a decent amount of stuff in it (I usually fry some bacon and mushrooms with a bit of peri peri to go in mine) is filling enough to be a proper meal.

Takes 10-15 minutes from start to finish. Piece of piss.

Quite often make curries using Spinach, but sometimes run into problems with it turning out to be quite bitter. Might be worth making an effort to rid yourself of the stems if you can, as that could make a difference.

Sounds simple. Let us know how you get on. Are you vegetarian or just trying a veggie dish? Co-incidentally I'll be doing my garlic/chilli prawn dish tonight that I suggest above. Yum.

me a veggie??? no chance, I often go for a sag paneer when I order a meal in though so thought I would give it a go...could you freeze that after making it? I am guessing you cant

Well that was a complete and utter failure, **** horrible, to be honest I think I mite have completely **** up because I was rushing it to get it all done before the villa came on.

As far as I know I followed the recipe every step of the way so I don't know what went wrong.

I'll give it another try when I can be arsed and have some more time.

Â