Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Dunno just never warmed to them.  Can't say I don't like power players because I like watching Ostapenko play especially the way she won the French open.  She will win many slams in years to come because there is so much to work on and she hits her ground shots probably harder than either of the Williams sisters. I do on the whole prefer longer rallies though. the Konta v Halep match was good to watch, the Williams v Williams match wasn't

37 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Dunno just never warmed to them.  Can't say I don't like power players because I like watching Ostapenko play especially the way she won the French open.  She will win many slams in years to come because there is so much to work on and she hits her ground shots probably harder than either of the Williams sisters. I do on the whole prefer longer rallies though. the Konta v Halep match was good to watch, the Williams v Williams match wasn't

This for me has practically killed tennis. Shorter points that involve winners are much better to watch than two people hacking it back and forth relentlessly until either a winner is hit, or more often than not, one person makes an error. 

They have screwed the game up by making the courts slower. 

The great thing about the womens game is the variety of styles. There was a match Kerber played which was all about skill not power that I found fascinating. Nothing more boring than watching two big servers with no breaks. May as well just play tie-breaks. 

It would be more interesting if Cilic bounced the ball a bit more before serving. Fourteen times is nowhere near enough. :angry:

Nadal is the most annoying. The time he takes between points. Cilic always looked like he would win even when a set down. Federer is extremely quick between points. My bet is that match is over in under 2 hours

• Like 2

Be interesting if Cilic gets a quick start and wins the first set, think that's his main hope anyway. Would still expect Roger in 4 sets but he hasn't quite been as imperious on serve as he usually is, been broken in most of his matches.

Did everyone see the fat guy get on court to face a serve from Clijsters in the Ladies doubles exhibition tournament?

They dressed him in a white skirt and everything. Hilarious! He even got the first serve back, although it was a blocked short lob.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Be interesting if Cilic gets a quick start and wins the first set, think that's his main hope anyway. Would still expect Roger in 4 sets but he hasn't quite been as imperious on serve as he usually is, been broken in most of his matches.

Federer didn't look that good to me yesterday, if Cilic gets the fast start then it could be the case that Federer get's overpowered somewhat. Federer's  first serve will need to improve, and it's crucial that he ends points as fast as possible, he struggled more in the longer points. That said, Federer does have a really good record against him.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Pretty one sided in the end and it was similar in the semis. All over far too quickly. 

Should women's tennis be best of 5 sets now? Equal money should be equal rules IMO. 

• Like 1

A lot of the women matches have lasted longer than the mens tbf but the semis and the final have been disappointing and the way Williams played in that second set , it would have been better if Konta had have got to the final

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Pretty one sided in the end and it was similar in the semis. All over far too quickly. 

Should women's tennis be best of 5 sets now? Equal money should be equal rules IMO. 

I'm amazed McEnroe didn't just say they should play 5 sets instead of his stupid Serena wouldn't beat 600 in the world comment.

So my Ladies tip won...now if Cilic does the same without me putting a stake on a double....:rant:

Â