Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Or alternatively the UK and South Africa are two countries actively trying to identify new strains of the virus

I know it's illegal to give the UK any kind of credit for handling of The Coronavirus but if reports are to believed (I know, I know they are all government mouthpieces being given back handers by Boris) the UK is supposed to be doing a lot more analysis of strains than elsewhere in the world. 

I'm sure someone will point out that's totall propaganda bullshit but I'm just passing on what I've read. 

Do countries really base their reactions to Coronavirus situations based on what Boris Johnson says in press conferences, or do they take a lead from WHO facts and figures?  I'm sure that would be a much more sensible way to go. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I know it's illegal to give the UK any kind of credit for handling of The Coronavirus but if reports are to believed (I know, I know they are all government mouthpieces being given back handers by Boris) the UK is supposed to be doing a lot more analysis of strains than elsewhere in the world. 

I'm sure someone will point out that's totall propaganda bullshit but I'm just passing on what I've read. 

Yes the two countries doing this the best are the UK and South Africa, so you'll see exactly why the two new viruses are being peddled as ours and theirs

It is also worth noting that no government minister is involved in this science

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

or do they take a lead from WHO facts and figures?  I'm sure that would be a much more sensible way to go. 

Hmmm, well the WHO are hardly infallible, they've made a clusterpork of a few things recently and not just to do with COVID

The important thing is to listen to the scientists, ask the pertinent questions and then formulate a plan based on that. Whether those scientists are WHO or not. I can honestly understand a country getting a second opinion after WHO though

That second opinion is not Boris Johnson

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

or during a grouse shoot.

This has been going on so long, you really do forget some of the offensively yet open cronyism that this government has been responsible for.

I mean the Grouse Shooting exception is another of those satire is dead moments

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes the two countries doing this the best are the UK and South Africa, so you'll see exactly why the two new viruses are being peddled as ours and theirs

It is also worth noting that no government minister is involved in this science

Australia has also been pretty good at keeping track of who has which strain and where it came from. We just don’t have many cases there to check for though 🙃

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

There is no evidence that these new strains are more dangerous and the vaccine will work on them. 

I don't think this news should scare people. 

Nearly 40,000 cases today. I'm not doubting the vaccine will work with the new strains but the time it will take for it to have a serous effect on the rise in cases and deaths at the moment.  The numbers are scary. 

6 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Dows anybody know what they define contact as?

If it's from the NHS app then I think it's done on risk scoring, see this:

Risk-scoring algorithm Technical information

Last updated: 29 October 2020

This paper summarises how the NHS COVID-19 app will calculate a risk score for an individual based on their recent contact with people who test positive for Coronavirus.

The NHS COVID-19 app uses Bluetooth Low Energy to assess the distance over time between people who have downloaded the app in a privacy preserving manner.

...more

58 minutes ago, snowychap said:

If it's from the NHS app then I think it's done on risk scoring, see this:

It's just strange, it's come back to isolate for 6 days. Does that mean it was 4 days ago? If so I was in a hotel room all day. Something not right, wish if gave me more details.

1 minute ago, avfcDJ said:

It's just strange, it's come back to isolate for 6 days. Does that mean it was 4 days ago? If so I was in a hotel room all day. Something not right, wish if gave me more details.

If it's from the app then I'm almost certain it's still guidance and not a legal duty (i.e. when contacted by contact tracers).

If you're very doubtful about the accuracy then you can ignore it. I think your comments highlight the issue with isolation requests via the app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Could easily be someone in the room next door who you had no contact with at all but your phones were “close” to each other all night

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, bickster said:

Could easily be someone in the room next door who you had no contact with at all but your phones were “close” to each other all night

Been empty either side of me. I feel fine but also realise I have a duty to protect others. It’s telling me to isolate for 6 days instead of 10 or 14, so I guess the person I was close to tested positive and they are going by that persons first symptoms when it comes to tracking?

27 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Wonder what’s taking so long to authorise the Oxford vaccine?

The person they are paying to authorise it is 86 year old Tory supporter Beryl, who donated to the Boris Johnson 2019 campaign. Give her time, it’s mates rates.

Â