Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

The Ramones are possibly a good shout, but I can’t say for definite they’re overrated as I only really know their cover “Baby I love you” (and I rather like that song).

But they’re definitely one of those bands where it’s cool to pretend you like them,  “t-shirt bands”. AC/DC are another.

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

I'm not sure there's any need for any distinguishing.

Surely overrated simply means something/someone about which there is a sufficiently popular opinion (be that measured commercially or critically or another way) with which one disagrees (often too authoritatively)?

Sure. But there have already been comments in this thread to the effect that:

"X can't be overrated, hardly any of my mates have heard of them"

and

"Y sell millions, but surely anybody with taste knows they're crap?" 

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

The Ramones are possibly a good shout, but I can’t say for definite they’re overrated as I only really know their cover “Baby I love you” (and I rather like that song).

But they’re definitely one of those bands where it’s cool to pretend you like them,  “t-shirt bands”. AC/DC are another.

I don't have AC/DC down as a T-Shirt band. Sure there are lots of people wearing their T-Shirts but I always get the impression they also listen to them too, The Ramones however not

I'm no big stadium rock fan but AC/DC are masters at what they do. Highway to He, Back In Black, Powerage, For Those About to Rock and High Voltage all great albums, some of which I own and do still listen to occasionaly (I own no T-Shirts though)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sure. But there have already been comments in this thread to the effect that:

"X can't be overrated, hardly any of my mates have heard of them"

and

"Y sell millions, but surely anybody with taste knows they're crap?" 

Indeed. I was just moving the stress on the 'overrating' to it being a personal opinion going against a 'popular' grain.

Of course, that personal opinion could be quite popularly held, too.

• Like 1

The Ramones had an ear for a good pop melody that most bands would kill for.  Sold sod all records though. I was lucky enough to see them once, albeit in the early 90s, way past their best. They were breathtakingly brilliant.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes, the good reason is that no-one with a clue rates them (Just to keep the @mjmooney / @snowychap side debate going)

there's going to be an "old man doesnt get new music" debate going on soon by the sounds of it...

seriously AM are brilliant, alex turners writing is head and shoulders above anyone in the last 20-30 years and they are pretty competent musicians with the drummer especially being very good

Just now, villa4europe said:

there's going to be an "old man doesnt get new music" debate going on soon by the sounds of it...

seriously AM are brilliant, alex turners writing is head and shoulders above anyone in the last 20-30 years and they are pretty competent musicians with the drummer especially being very good

Quite so, which is why this old man chose to single out a couple of old acts (Elvis and the Velvets). Everybody knows I don't get the newer acts, so I'm not really qualified to comment on whether they're overrated or not. 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Except this old man knows you're talking shite and does get modern music as he buys it by the truckload

Alex Turner's voice makes me want to punch kittens out of the top floor of a highrise block of flats

• Like 1

@bickster Fair points re AC/DC, maybe I was little harsh. I do still think there’s a “brand” that people go for, but not to the same extent as the Ramones.

I think it’s kind of difficult for the conversation to not stray into bands you just don’t get. You’re more inclined to think stuff you don’t get is overrated.

If I look at stuff I like. I love pink floyd, but I sometimes think their stuff they did with Syd is put on too high a pedestal. Some of it is very good, but I think they became a much better band later on.

I feel the Syd stuff is held in a high regard because of his “lost genius” status.

Â