Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

i dont know about the kinks, i would say they are in danger of a lot of people knowing the name but not many people knowing more than 2/3 songs, not sure if thats because they are overrated or underrated, they're becoming a bit irrelevant other than hearing other musicians talking up their influence (see also small faces) i would say that one of the biggest issues they have is the popularity of only a few songs (waterloo sunset, sunny afternoon, you really got me) not much else gets a lot of airplay (maybe death of a clown, tired of waiting, lola)

we're talking about a band with 24 albums and 78 singles (probably several reissues) that get 5/6 songs that have stood the test of time and are still played mainstream

• Like 1

Ray Davies wrote better lyrics than the Beatles

@villa4europe you forgot All of the Day and All of the Night and Dedicated Follower of Fashion, both get played a lot even now

Then there's David Watt's as covered by The Jam, Victoria as covered by The Fall...

There's lots more you probably don't realise

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Some acts were undoubtedly talented (and probably influential), although personally, I don't like them. David Bowie is a classic example. 

But then there are the bands that were influential mainly due to 'attitude', image, possibly a bit of innovation, etc., without having much actual musical  talent. That's where I'd place Presley, the Velvets, the Ramones and the Sex Pistols (probably any number of post-70s acts too, but like I say, I'm not qualified to comment). 

As for The Beatles and Dylan, I can fully understand that people might put them in the first category, but the second, no, I'm not having that. 

I agree with this sentiment entirely mooney.

If not the acts. ;)

All needling aside, Bowie, Dylan, The Beatles, The Kinks are all in that first category for me. I don't doubt Sgt Pepper's influence and engineering brilliance, nor Dylans songwriting (Masters of War is the best song ever written imo) just never made it into my own personal greats list. And aside from the odd song now and then rarely if ever played in our house.

21 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

The Smiths appeal was always totally lost on me too. I know a few people who would rate them as the pinnacle

I would say theres a lot of younger smiths fans that are chasing comments from the likes of noel gallagher declaring them as a massive influence on him, playing top of the pops with marrs red fender etc i think a lot of brit pop bands said they loved the smiths so it trickled down

I like them, marr is a great guitarist, morrissey just has something about him (even if he is a dick) i would say theres a kind of darkness in the lyrics which doesnt match the joy in the music and it works brilliantly at times

They're definitely another band that dont have a great album though, not even the queen is dead for me, they've got a good 20 songs and some good compilation albums (posing as proper albums because of their record label and the US market i think) but not a complete 10/10 album, they've got a lot of stuff that does nothing for me

They've got an awesome book though, cant think what its called but it breaks down every song, how and where it was written, what its about, when it was played live, critical reaction to it and stuff like that wish more bands did that, its really good insight, im pretty sure its songs that saved your life, if you are a smiths fan i cant recommend it enough 

8 hours ago, bickster said:

Ziggy, Aladin Sane, Low,, Station to Station, Diamond Dogs and Heroes. Those are his only decent albums. Anything from Scary Monsters onwards is dreadful and there are decent songs on other albums before Scary Monsters but only a few

And up until this point, I was agreeing on everything you said ?

I actually think his Berlin albums that you include above are overrated. And his work from there onwards to the late 90s is at times awful. Hunky Dory is a masterpiece though.

But his 21st century output is of a really high standard. He stops pissing about and hopping between genres and just knocks out a run of albums full of top quality songwriting - Hours, Heathen, Reality, The Next Day, Blackstar.

27 minutes ago, KHV said:

The Stone Roses

Totally.

Their first album is one of the most insipid, weak as piss albums I've ever heard, popular with a bunch of people so E'd up you could have sold them Cliff Richard records and they'd have loved it.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i dont know about the kinks, i would say they are in danger of a lot of people knowing the name but not many people knowing more than 2/3 songs, not sure if thats because they are overrated or underrated, they're becoming a bit irrelevant other than hearing other musicians talking up their influence (see also small faces) i would say that one of the biggest issues they have is the popularity of only a few songs (waterloo sunset, sunny afternoon, you really got me) not much else gets a lot of airplay (maybe death of a clown, tired of waiting, lola)

we're talking about a band with 24 albums and 78 singles (probably several reissues) that get 5/6 songs that have stood the test of time and are still played mainstream

I think The Kinks are quality, majority of their tunes are pretty damn good. My brother is a big beatles head and when I tell him the kinks are better than the beatles, and that the beatles got a lucky break in the US he loses his shit. Fun to watch ahaha. I don't think the Kinks are better than the Beatles, but I would rank them above the Stones and the Who. 

Anyway overrated bands....U2 for me.

Edited by Newry_Villan
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Totally.

Their first album is one of the most insipid, weak as piss albums I've ever heard, popular with a bunch of people so E'd up you could have sold them Cliff Richard records and they'd have loved it.

My point in a jar. :D

9 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Who were the 6 in the poll in the wiped OP?

U2
Pulp
The Beatles
The Stones

were 4 of them I think. There were 2 more and I can't remember

Oasis and... someone else.

Â