Most overrated band ever?

Oaks

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If we're allowed solo artists, it's Elvis Presley, by a country mile. 

For a band, it's the critics' darlings The Velvet Underground. 

There’s some key factors in there for sure. Hanging round with a female of limited musical talent, a key mentor, the influence of a kind of mania around look and image on people’s perception of their music, a degree of innovation and a degree of stealing of others’ tunes. 

Cant think of anyone else who might fit that category, can you? :)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

There’s some key factors in there for sure. Hanging round with a female of limited musical talent, a key mentor, the influence of a kind of mania around look and image on people’s perception of their music, a degree of innovation and a degree of stealing of others’ tunes. 

Cant think of anyone else who might fit that category, can you? :)

Yes. And not just the one you're thinking of. 

24 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Now.

100 albums but never perform live, and they can't settle on a band sound.

I think you've done them a bit of a disservice on the sound.

They might not have settled on one, but the way they have constantly evolved it, is pretty impressive. They've always managed to capture whatever the popular 'chart' sounds were at the time and churn out hit single, after hit single. Over a 35 year period, that's some achievement. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If we're allowed solo artists, it's Elvis Presley, by a country mile. 

For a band, it's the critics' darlings The Velvet Underground. 

I’m not a massive fan of either, but I’d be tempted to put Jacko ahead of Elvis Presley in the overrated stakes.

What’s your reasoning for Elvis?

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Radiohead 

It crossed my mind to suggest them but I was worried about a plethora of VT tropes about how their lead singer is Rory Delap or something like that.

The Bends is good and Karma Police is a tune, but a lot of their stuff is a bit of a dirge.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’m not a massive fan of either, but I’d be tempted to put Jacko ahead of Elvis Presley in the overrated stakes.

What’s your reasoning for Elvis?

He was genuinely fresh and exciting for the the first year or so of his career. Admittedly, he wasn't the only one who was doing it, but he crossed white country and black blues, and presented it in a Dean/Brandoesque sexy rebel package. Hugely influential on an entire generaton of young musicians (not least The Beatles - sorry, Bickster). BUT... that was it. After that first flush, it was revealed that he was a puppet of Colonel Parker. He started making hideous MOR schmaltz. He made a string of the worst films ever. He meekly joined the army. The rest of his career wasn't rock'n'roll, it was showbiz of the most ghastly variety. - Las Vegas cabaret and glittery jumpsuits. Yes, the '68 TV special, yes, a few decent late singles - Suspicious Minds, etc. - but in the embarrassment of riches that was the late 60s, these were no better than average pop. He didn't write songs, he didn't play an instrument beyond a rudimentary level. Of the 50s rockers, I'd place him well below Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard. And yet, he has continued to be held up as some sort of godlike genius, a cult almost on tbe scale of a religion. Significant? Yes, undoubtedly. But still massively, massively overrated.

EDIT: I don't like Michael Jackson much, either, but that's another argument. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He was genuinely fresh and exciting for the the first year or so of his career. Admittedly, he wasn't the only one who was doing it, but he crossed white country and black blues, and presented it in a Dean/Brandoesque sexy rebel package. Hugely influential on an entire generaton of young musicians (not least The Beatles - sorry, Bickster). BUT... that was it. After tbat first flush, it was revealed that he was a puppet of Colonel Parker. He started making hideous MOR schmaltz. He made a string of the worst films ever. He meekly joined the army. The rest of his career wasn't rock'n'roll, it was showbiz of the most ghastly variety. - Las Vegas cabaret and glittery jumpsuits. Yes, the '68 TV special, yes, a few decent late singles - Suspicious Minds, etc. - but in the embarrassment of riches that was the late 60s, these were np betted than average pop. He didn't write songs, he didn't play an instrument beyond a rudimentary level. Of the 50s rockers, I'd place him well below Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard. And yet, he has continued to be held up as some sort of godlike genius, a cult almost on tbe scale of a religion. Significant? Yes, undoubtedly. But still massively, massively overrated.

Fair enough.

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Elvis by a **** country mile.

Can't stand the club style singing, burger eating, blue suede shoes wearing bellend.

I have to say, there's a degree of physical revulsion in my case. Perhaps because I grew up in the Beatles era, when long hair was suddenly the thing, I always thought that the brylcreemed quiff hairstyle was the most naff look ever. And his podgy face and the curled lip. Maybe if I was female, or gay, I'd get it, but I could never understand how anybody could find him attractive. Possibly if you were a teenage girl in 1956, but later generations? Why? 

Â