Do you read?

Luke_W

I love Neil Young, and I really enjoyed Jimmy McDonough's biography of him, so I was really looking forward to getting the story from the (crazy) horse's mouth. 

I'm about six chapters in, and so far I think it's utter shite. As MrDuck says, there's a lot about cars (yawn) - and his feckin' Pono system (double yawn), and it seems to have been written by a semiliterate ten year old with ADHD. Sorry Neil, can't see me getting through this one. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I love Neil Young, and I really enjoyed Jimmy McDonough's biography of him, so I was really looking forward to getting the story from the (crazy) horse's mouth. 

I'm about six chapters in, and so far I think it's utter shite. As MrDuck says, there's a lot about cars (yawn) - and his feckin' Pono system (double yawn), and it seems to have been written by a semiliterate ten year old with ADHD. Sorry Neil, can't see me getting through this one. 

I really loved it.... but the wife thought much the same as you!

On 8/31/2017 at 20:17, leemond2008 said:

Get yourself on Goodreads.com, its brilliant.

I set myself a challenge of 30 books for the year, I'm currently on 23 and I'm 4 books ahead of schedule, last year I set the challenge of 25 books and I hit 35

The books I've read so far this year

J.Sheridan Le Fanu - Uncle Silas - 1864
Charles Portis - True Grit - 1968
Albert Camus - The Plague - 1947
John Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men - 1937
Truman Capote - In Cold Blood - 1965
Ian Rankin - Knots & Crosses - 1987
Shirley Jackson - We Have Always Lived in the Castle - 1962
Oakley Hall - Warlock - 1958
Ian Rankin - Hide and Seek - 1991
Shirley Jackson - The Birds Nest - 1954
Ray Celestin - The Axemans Jazz - 2014
Zecharia Sitchin - The Lost Book of Enki - 2001
James Herbert - The Rats - 1974
S. Elliot Brandis - Young Slasher
Ian Rankin - Tooth and Nail - 1992
James Hogg - The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner - 1824
Margaret Atwood - Oryx & Crake - 2003
Charles Bukowski - Post Office - 1971
Jim Al-Khalili - Aliens: Science asks: Is there anyone out there?
Lauren Beukes - Broken Monsters - 2014
Graeme Macrae Burnet - His Bloody Project - 2014
Stephen King - It - 1986
Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian - 1985

Just thought I'd add to my list that I put up here at the end of August, since then I've read

Stefan Grabínski - The Dark Domain
Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita - 1955
Michael Connelly - The Crossing - 2015
Charlotte Dacre - Zofloya, or the Moor - 1806
Vladimir Nabokov - Bend Sinister - 1947
George Orwell - 1984 - 1949
Steven Hall - The raw Shark Texts - 2007
Stefan Kiesbye - Your house is on fire, your children all gone - 2011
Elliott Chaze - Black Wings Has My Angel - 1953
Paul Trmblay - A Head Full of Ghosts - 2015
Max Ernst - Une Semaine de Bonté - 1934 (this is a bit of a cheat because its just pictures)
John Farris - Son of the Endless Night - 1985

I'm just about to get started on The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, and I've got another 3 books to choose from after that, one bog standard horror, one old book from the early 1900's called The Gollem and finally The Dark Box: A Secret History of Confession.

If I can get 2 of them done before the year is out then I'll be quite happy with how this years reading has gone.

Edited by leemond2008
  • Like 2

A bit heavy on the horror (one for the "things you don't get" thread, for me), but otherwise that's a very interesting list. 

I've put down the Neil Young, possibly never to be picked up again. Finished the Joseph Kanon, liked it a lot (generic postwar espionage stuff, but good). 

For the Christmas season only, I've gone all 'cosy crime': 

518oWfzGwOL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

A bit heavy on the horror (one for the "things you don't get" thread, for me), but otherwise that's a very interesting list.

I wouldn't say its overly heavy on the horror, the books in there that I would class as horror would be

The Rats, Young Slasher, IT, Broken Monsters (bit of a weird one to put into a category so I'll stick it in horror), son of the endless night and head full of ghosts, I wouldn't really class the two Shirley Jackson books as horror but even if you do then that's only 8 out of 35.

I have gotta admit though, I'm getting a hankering to get back into the horror stuff, after just finishing Son of the Endless Night.

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

I wouldn't say its overly heavy on the horror, the books in there that I would class as horror would be

The Rats, Young Slasher, IT, Broken Monsters (bit of a weird one to put into a category so I'll stick it in horror), son of the endless night and head full of ghosts, I wouldn't really class the two Shirley Jackson books as horror but even if you do then that's only 8 out of 35.

I have gotta admit though, I'm getting a hankering to get back into the horror stuff, after just finishing Son of the Endless Night.

I think the last book I read in that genre was William Peter Blatty's "I Am Legion" (sequel to "The Exorcist"), in about 1985. 

Before that, it was one of the volumes of "The Pan Book of Horror Stories", when I was at school, 1960s. 

Just a genre that has no appeal to me - so 8 out of 35 (nearly 25%) seems pretty high. 

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think the last book I read in that genre was William Peter Blatty's "I Am Legion" (sequel to "The Exorcist"), in about 1985. 

Before that, it was one of the volumes of "The Pan Book of Horror Stories", when I was at school, 1960s. 

Just a genre that has no appeal to me - so 8 out of 35 (nearly 25%) seems pretty high. 

I've not read Legion for years, I've actually been looking at it quite a bit just lately meaning to re-read t.

Good sequel that was.

• Like 1

Just finished "Suttree" and like most Cormac McCarthy there are patches where it's like reading through treacle and sudden lines that are as beautiful as anything you'll ever read - the ability to make you sympathise with the dignity of a character that shits himself twice during the novel is quite something - in the end, time in Suttree's company had become something I was very comfortable with and it's a book I'd recommend to anyone. For me it's his second best after The Road and a book that will make you want to read it slowly.

24 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Ordered myself couple of books off amazon for the festive season. Not up to the standards of the hardened readers on here, but something that can keep my attention. 

A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens 

Bram Stokers Dracula 

Ruge, those are both excellent books - of good standard too!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Ordered myself couple of books off amazon for the festive season. Not up to the standards of the hardened readers on here, but something that can keep my attention. 

A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens 

Bram Stokers Dracula 

I thought Bram Stokers Dracula was great when I first read it, that was years and years ago, I've been meaning to re-read it again

I'm going to finish Picture of Dorian Gray tonight, its been fantastic, a wee bit ghey for the era it was first published but fantastic nonetheless

13 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I thought Bram Stokers Dracula was great when I first read it, that was years and years ago, I've been meaning to re-read it again

I'm going to finish Picture of Dorian Gray tonight, its been fantastic, a wee bit ghey for the era it was first published but fantastic nonetheless

I was book hunting the other night, and was just typing in loads of random shit into amazon. I found loads of books that would interest me, and plenty of others that I might like. I'm hoping this is the start of me starting to read again, because I really feel like I'm missing out. 

9 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I was book hunting the other night, and was just typing in loads of random shit into amazon. I found loads of books that would interest me, and plenty of others that I might like. I'm hoping this is the start of me starting to read again, because I really feel like I'm missing out. 

What sort of genres are you looking at?

5 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

What sort of genres are you looking at?

Basically ive found myself searching for books of films, like ben hur, Rosemary's baby, exorcist, etc any films I've enjoyed I've just searched for the book. I'm into old fashioned horror books like Dracula etc, also the occult like Dennis Wheatley. War, slavery, found myself searching for middle eastern novels, Egyptian and all that kind of thing.basically a wide scope. Not sure that answers your question. :)

Â