Do you read?

Luke_W

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

I tried to read an Eco novel, it was waaaay too wordy for my liking.

I bet that was Foucault's Pendulum. 

Looking for some recommendations for a few books i can take on holiday next month. The last book i read that i absolutely loved was Kolymsky Heights, so was thinking of getting The Rose Of Tibet or The Night Of Wenceslas. Has anyone read these in comparison to Kolymsky? 

Or any other recommendations? Aside from that i tend to stick to ww1/2, spy, thriller, and the occasional biography. 

30 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Looking for some recommendations for a few books i can take on holiday next month. The last book i read that i absolutely loved was Kolymsky Heights, so was thinking of getting The Rose Of Tibet or The Night Of Wenceslas. Has anyone read these in comparison to Kolymsky? 

Or any other recommendations? Aside from that i tend to stick to ww1/2, spy, thriller, and the occasional biography. 

Have you read the David Downing "John Russell" series? 1930s/WWII spy/thriller genre. Starts with "Zoo Station". 

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Have you read the David Downing "John Russell" series? 1930s/WWII spy/thriller genre. Starts with "Zoo Station". 

I walloped through all six (again) in two weeks, last month. 

Simple, well written and brilliant.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this

20727758.jpg

New Orleans, 1919. As a dark serial killer – The Axeman – stalks the city, three individuals set out to unmask him…

Though every citizen of the ‘Big Easy’ thinks they know who could be behind the terrifying murders, Detective Lieutenant Michael Talbot, heading up the official investigation, is struggling to find leads. But Michael has a grave secret – and if he doesn’t find himself on the right track fast – it could be exposed…

Former detective Luca d’Andrea has spent the last six years in Angola state penitentiary, after Michael, his protégée, blew the whistle on his corrupt behaviour. Now a newly freed man, Luca finds himself working with the mafia, whose need to solve the mystery of the Axeman is every bit as urgent as the authorities’.

Meanwhile, Ida is a secretary at the Pinkerton Detective Agency.Obsessed with Sherlock Holmes and dreaming of a better life, Ida stumbles across a clue which lures her and her trumpet-playing friend, Lewis ‘Louis’ Armstrong, to the case and into terrible danger…

As Michael, Luca and Ida each draw closer to discovering the killer’s identity, the Axeman himself will issue a challenge to the people of New Orleans: play jazz or risk becoming the next victim. And as the case builds to its crescendo, the sky will darken and a great storm will loom over the city…

Meh...it was alright, it took me far too long to read it which I think ruined it a bit for me, the Axeman was a massive let down and the characters were really cliched, I the one character was pretty decent and the author could probably make her the central character of a series and I'd probably read it, other than that it was pretty underwhelming.

Just going to start this now

623381.jpg

Will the past become our future? Is humankind destined to repeat the events that occurred on another planet, far away from Earth? Zecharia Sitchin's bestselling series The Earth Chronicles provided humanity's side of the story concerning our origins at the hands of the Anunnaki, "those who from heaven to earth came." In The Lost Book of Enki we now view this saga from the perspective of Lord Enki, an Anunnaki leader revered in antiquity as a god, who tells the story of these extraterrestrials' arrival on Earth from the planet Nibiru.

In his previous works Sitchin compiled the complete story of the Anunnaki's impact on human civilization from fragments scattered throughout Sumerian, Akkadian, Babylonian, Assyrian, Hittite, Egyptian, Canaanite, and Hebrew sources. Missing from these accounts, however, was the perspective of the Anunnaki themselves. What was life like on their own planet? What motives propelled them to settle on Earth - and what drove them from their new home? Convinced of the existence of an actual autobiography of Enki - a lost book that held the answers to these questions - the author began his search for evidence. Through exhaustive research of primary sources, and using actual discovered portions of the ancient text as "scaffolding," he has here re-created the memoirs of Enki, the leader of these first "astronauts." What takes shape is the story that begins on another world, a story of mounting tensions, survival dangers and royal succession rivalries, and sophisticated scientific knowledge concerning human origins that is only today being confirmed. An epic tale of gods and men unfolds that parallels the Bible and may challenge every assumption we hold about our past and our future.

An eminent Orientalist and Biblical scholar, Zecharia Sitchin is distinquished by his ability to read Sumerian clay tablets and other ancient texts. He is a graduate of the University of London and worked as a journalist and editor in Israel for many years.

I love reading up on the Sumerians, the Anunnaki and the planet Niburu and all that stuff, I've had a vague interest in them since I was about 15/16 and I read Sepulchre by James Herbert but over the last 12 months or so I have spent loads of time reading up on them online so I thought it was time to start actually diving into the books, I'm not too sure what to expect from this (it wasn't actually the book I wanted but the other one was about £18 and I don't have the money for that at the moment)

• 2 months later...

Puts the case for 1971 being the greatest year ever for popular music. You wouldn't seriously expect me to disagree with that, now would you? 

51OpYLF-j-L._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

Hopefully someone could help me. I'm looking for a book to pass onto a cousin of mine. 

I discovered it on Spotify as an audio book last year but now it's disappeared and Google won't help me, whatever keywords I type.

It involves a boy who gets knocked on the head and wakes up in a world where being a child is illegal and run by a religious Luddite nutter who hunts and tracks down anyone whose slipped through the net. Anyway, this boy runs off into the forest and links up with a gang of youths who have a community and attempt to stage a rebellion against the leader.

It's pissing me off not being able to find it, as I thought it was a good young adult novel.

• 3 weeks later...

I need a bit of help from the VT Librarians.

My dad is looking for a book but struggling to find anything at the minute.

He loves books by people like Tess Gerritson, Jeffrey Deaver, Harlem Coburn, Steig Larrson etc

I'm struggling to find anything at the minute, has anyone got any recommendations?

On 8 August 2017 at 18:35, leemond2008 said:

He loves books by people like Tess Gerritson, Jeffrey Deaver, Harlem Coburn, Steig Larrson etc

I'm struggling to find anything at the minute, has anyone got any recommendations?

I really like Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther books and quite like Peter James's Roy Grace as well, both detective series.  Kerr's done a few football whodunnits too but they're a bit shit in comparison.

Anyone got some recommendations for books that have great twists in?  Could be any subject really, I just love a good twist and I'm stuck in a rut of just reading the same authors over and over.

My one "contribution" to this thread is a confession. Despite being required in my career to read textbooks A through Z I have hand on heart read maximum five books my entire life. One of those was Jim Morrison's 'biography', Cantona's autobiography, likewise Zlatan and Merson. 

The other I think was Andy McNab's Bravo Two Zero, at the time when the hype surrounded it.

I am38. There is no hope for me. 

Not knocking anyone on here. I'm just "repping" , as the kids say, for any other similarly afflicted types on here. Just me? I'll get me coat. Sorry. 

On 08/08/2017 at 18:35, leemond2008 said:

they're crime based aren't they?

The Ian Rankin  'Rebus' series books are really good if the detective genre appeals. Similarly, Mark Billingham is another author I;'ve read a couple of, not recently but they were decent crime thrillers.

I took one book on holiday to read. It promised to be really good and I was really getting into it. The Greatest Battle about the Germans failure to take Moscow. 

I left it in the seat pocket on the bus.

It really pissed me off and where I am now, in Sozopol, there was literally one English book. Some crappy nuclear/assassin/trash novel by Gerald Seymour. I'm reading it because I need to read something by the pool, but I'm crying tears of frustration. 

In other news. Bernie Gunther no. 12 & 13 are coming. So I'm excited for those. I thought no. 11 was brilliant and almost as good as his initial trilogy. 

Â