Do you read?

Luke_W

26 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Has anyone read mein  Kampf ? Not a fan of hitler obviously,but always thought I might want to read it. 

Tried it once, found it unreadable. 

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Has anyone read mein  Kampf ? Not a fan of hitler obviously,but always thought I might want to read it. 

My mate read it and I was going to borrow it off him but he said it was extremely hard going so I didn't bother 

On 15/12/2017 at 09:45, mjmooney said:

Two books I read as a kid were Lord Russell's reports on German and Japanese war crimes - "The Scourge of the Swastika" and "Knights of Bushido". Grim stuff. 

Just looked them up on Amazon. They sound intriguing but I don't have the stomach for all that horror these days.

Recently I almost bought a book by a Yazidi survivor of ISIS. Can't face reading that.

The royalties from Men Kampf are interesting -  in the UK and US the rights were held by Random House, who, not wanting to be seen to profit from the work of Adolf decided to send the money they made from sales to an anonymous charity in Germany which helped holocaust survivors - unfortunately, the charities anonymity couldn't be kept and the charity then refused further money on account of their belief that the people they were helping wouldn't want to be looked after by money from Hitler's work. They've since moved it to a number of charities but have found that lots of them, including the Red Cross, have refused to accept Nazi money. It's become something of a problem for publishers in that people still buy the book, but no one wants to be seen to profit from it.

• Like 3

489732.jpg

'The horror, whatever it was, had not yet entirely spoiled that marvellous beauty' 

Enthralled by his own exquisite portrait, Dorian Gray exchanges his soul for eternal youth and beauty. Influenced by his friend Lord Henry Wotton, he is drawn into a corrupt double life, indulging his desires in secret while remaining a gentleman in the eyes of polite society. Only his portrait bears the traces of his decadence. The Picture of Dorian Graywas a succès de scandale. Early readers were shocked by its hints at unspeakable sins, and the book was later used as evidence against Wilde at the Old Bailey in 1895.

This definitive edition includes a selection of contemporary reviews condemning the novel's immorality, and the introduction to the first Penguin Classics edition by Peter Ackroyd.

fantastic book, really enjoyed this, the book isn't shocking at all in this day and age but if you enjoy books from this era then it really is a must read, its very much a book of morals more than anything, I'll definitely be reading this again in the future

22935767.jpg

Darkness lives within ...Cash-strapped, working for agencies and living in shared accommodation, Stephanie Booth feels she can fall no further. So when she takes a new room at the right price, she believes her luck has finally turned. But 82 Edgware Road is not what it appears to be. It's not only the eerie atmosphere of the vast, neglected house, or the disturbing attitude of her new landlord, Knacker McGuire, that makes her uneasy - it's the whispers behind the fireplace, the scratching beneath floors, the footsteps in the dark, and the young women weeping in neighbouring rooms. And when Knacker's cousin Fergal arrives, the danger goes vertical. But this is merely a beginning, a gateway to horrors beyond Stephanie's worst nightmares. And in a house where no one listens to the screams, will she ever get out alive?

another horror, I've read Adam Nevill before but I never realised he was a brummie, this book is actually set in Handsworth and it paints a pretty **** bleak picture of Birmingham in general, it describes Perry Barr as being 'full of Asians and being took over by the Eastern Europeans, the plus side is that the area is really really cheap' Its nice to see a good old fashioned horror being set in Birmingham but at the same time its difficult to picture a haunted house in Handsworth.

The book does a real good job of bringing the bleakness, dirt and grime of 82 Edgeware Road to life though, the first 1/2 of the book is like a mixture of Jack Ketchums 'The Girl Next Door' Eden Lake and Martyrs, the 'bad guys' of the book are pretty damn cliched and almost funny at times but as the book goes on once you adapt to their London accents they actually become pretty sinister

I'm doing something that I never do at the minute and I'm reading 2 books at the same time.

2040383.jpg

Welcome to Hell.

One evening, Dante finds himself lost in a dark and menacing wood. The ghost of Virgil offers to lead him to safety but the path lies through the terrifying kingdom of Satan, where Dante witnesses the strange and gruesome sufferings of the damned.

Written while Dante was in exile and under threat of being burned at the stake, this dramatic, frightening and, at times, sardonically humorous vision of Hell still has the power to shock and horrify

I'm re-reading Inferno, I've got two copies of it the little paperback in the picture above and the whole Divine Comedy in a big leather bound hard back with some glorious animations, I'm alternating between the two of them, paperback at work and hard back at home.

33670466.jpg

Take a tour through the horror paperback novels of the 1970s and ’80s . . . if you dare. Page through dozens and dozens of amazing book covers featuring well-dressed skeletons, evil dolls, and knife-wielding killer crabs! Read shocking plot summaries that invoke devil worship, satanic children, and haunted real estate! Horror author and vintage paperback book collector Grady Hendrix offers killer commentary and witty insight on these trashy thrillers that tried so hard to be the next Exorcist or Rosemary’s Baby. It’s an affectionate, nostalgic, and unflinchingly funny celebration of the horror fiction boom of two iconic decades, complete with story summaries and artist and author profiles. You’ll find familiar authors, like V. C. Andrews and R. L. Stine, and many more who’ve faded into obscurity. Plus recommendations for which of these forgotten treasures are well worth your reading time and which should stay buried.

After reading Son of the Endless night a few weeks back it got me to realising how much I used to love this genre, this takes a look through them, I'm hoping it'll help me unearth a few cheap gems on Amazon.

• Like 1

That first book is my sort of thing. Not sure I could have two books on the go though. I'll be starting Dracula tomorrow, after finishing A Christmas Carol tonight. You don't realise how hard it is to read when you have kids, especially 3 of them. I have to do my reading in bed at night. 

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

That first book is my sort of thing. Not sure I could have two books on the go though. I'll be starting Dracula tomorrow, after finishing A Christmas Carol tonight. You don't realise how hard it is to read when you have kids, especially 3 of them. I have to do my reading in bed at night. 

Inferno isn't the easiest of reads, you have to remember it was first published in 1320, its crazy to think that people still read something that is nearly 700 years old, you have to be careful of which translation you get because some are really difficult whilst others are almost too easy, I like ones that are somewhere in between.

The second book I mentioned is more of a pick it up and flick through it every now and again, its full of illustrations and breaks down all the different genres (satan and his cults, demonic children, serial killers etc) from what I've read so far the dude seems more taken by the book covers of the era rather than the actual books, it looks like a good fun read though

6 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Inferno isn't the easiest of reads, you have to remember it was first published in 1320, its crazy to think that people still read something that is nearly 700 years old, you have to be careful of which translation you get because some are really difficult whilst others are almost too easy, I like ones that are somewhere in between.

The second book I mentioned is more of a pick it up and flick through it every now and again, its full of illustrations and breaks down all the different genres (satan and his cults, demonic children, serial killers etc) from what I've read so far the dude seems more taken by the book covers of the era rather than the actual books, it looks like a good fun read though

Have you read Crowley's, Diary Of A Drug Fiend? 

Â