Do you read?

Luke_W

14 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I always used to have a must finish policy but now I'm split because on the one hand life is too short to spend time on reading something you hate. Especially if it means nursing it along for weeks/months when you could be enjoying something else. 

On the other hand I've forced myself to continue with books in the past and ended up really enjoying it. 

For me these days it's a judgement call sometimes I'll get lucky, sometimes I get burnt but sometimes I put it down and don't beat myself up over it. 

I think I have given up on very few books but that is not to say I haven't regretted it.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Quite enjoyed Daniel Suarez' Daemon and Freedom(tm) about a computer virus aiming to change society. Decent concept and an easy read (even with a load of computer jargon!)

now reading his third book, kill decision about drone aircraft equipped to make the decision to fire via artificial intelligence and not human control. Good so far too! 

29 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I always used to have a must finish policy but now I'm split because on the one hand life is too short to spend time on reading something you hate. Especially if it means nursing it along for weeks/months when you could be enjoying something else. 

On the other hand I've forced myself to continue with books in the past and ended up really enjoying it. 

For me these days it's a judgement call sometimes I'll get lucky, sometimes I get burnt but sometimes I put it down and don't beat myself up over it. 

That dilemma gets even more acute when you get to my age. Even if I have another 25 years, it ain't gonna be enough to get through my 'to read' list (not taking into account the fact that I keep adding to it). :(

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

When I first read Stephenson's Cryptonomicon I really struggled with it and thought about sodding it off. 

It turned into one of the best, most **** up and beautiful books I've ever read.

I quickly got hooked and although I thought the modern narrative tended to sag, the WW2 narrative kept me going.

I wish I could remember how he used the model of a bicycle to explain how the Enigma machine worked.

47 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

When I first read Stephenson's Cryptonomicon I really struggled with it and thought about sodding it off. 

It turned into one of the best, most **** up and beautiful books I've ever read.

Have you read The Baroque Cycle? It's very loosely a prequel to Cryptonomicon. Stephenson's masterpiece, IMO. 

100 or so pages roughly is my cut off point. If it hasn't got me interested in more by then, I'm out. Did it with A Hundred Years of Solitude. Unrelentingly boring bollocks. There are too many books and worlds to escape into just to appease some box checking exercise of certain so called classic books. I don't care for Dickens, Hardy etc, and that's absolutely fine by me. 

19 minutes ago, Rodders said:

100 or so pages roughly is my cut off point. If it hasn't got me interested in more by then, I'm out. Did it with A Hundred Years of Solitude. Unrelentingly boring bollocks. There are too many books and worlds to escape into just to appease some box checking exercise of certain so called classic books. I don't care for Dickens, Hardy etc, and that's absolutely fine by me. 

Everyone to their own, to be sure, but if you're reading Joyce's Ulysses you miss all that dirty talk by Molly Bloom, if you give up too soon. :)

• Like 1

Catch 22 and Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy are the only two books I've had to give up on, I just found them both impenetrable.  I'm currently getting my Bernie Gunther fix with his latest and just read A Decent Ride by Irvine Welsh which was quite charming in his usual vulgar way.

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

My antipathy to Dickens has been well documented here. But Hardy is ten times the better writer. 

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know how fashionable, but I always feel a tendency to balance going back to an old big hitter and then reading something contemporary. Then trying to squeeze in the non fiction,  desperately trying to fit in a bit of everything

Currently reading Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman. It is absolutely barmy. Surreal, very funny and also baffling. 

Watching the Cosmos series an episode on Hooke, Haley and Newton has also promoted The Age of Wonder by Richard Holmes back up the list, though that deals more with the 18th century figures, Banks, Herschel and Davy. If there's a book on that "first" scientific revolution, that is worth getting I'd love to try that.  

54 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Don't know how fashionable, but I always feel a tendency to balance going back to an old big hitter and then reading something contemporary. Then trying to squeeze in the non fiction,  desperately trying to fit in a bit of everything

Currently reading Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman. It is absolutely barmy. Surreal, very funny and also baffling. 

Watching the Cosmos series an episode on Hooke, Haley and Newton has also promoted The Age of Wonder by Richard Holmes back up the list, though that deals more with the 18th century figures, Banks, Herschel and Davy. If there's a book on that "first" scientific revolution, that is worth getting I'd love to try that.  

I've raved about Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle on here before - it's fiction (of a slightly 'alternative' bent), but is set in that late 17th C milieu. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2017 at 07:35, Rodders said:

Hundred Years of Solitude.

I dropped it after 35 pages. Then picked it up a few years later and started over. Loved it. Epic fantasy tale, essentially. But probably better off read either in your late teens or at the end of your life..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I've raved about Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle on here before - it's fiction (of a slightly 'alternative' bent), but is set in that late 17th C milieu. 

Cheers, that looks a world I'd very much enjoy. Onto the list it goes! *

*addition to list is no guarantee of being read within next 3 years

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Rodders said:

*addition to list is no guarantee of being read within next 3 years

Tell me about it. That Umberto Eco book I'm about to finish, mentioned upthread, I bought on publication in 2004, only just got around to it. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Tell me about it. That Umberto Eco book I'm about to finish, mentioned upthread, I bought on publication in 2004, only just got around to it. 

I tried to read an Eco novel, it was waaaay too wordy for my liking.

Â