Do you read?

Luke_W

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher is like casting Danny DiVito as the lead in Dwayne Johnson: The Life of the Rock????

I love the Jack Reacher series but I shall not watch the film though.

Currently reading the Hunger Games Series following on from my 10 yo son. As a read they are quite enjoyable for a bit of fun.

Big fan of the Reacher series and yes Cruise is much smaller than the character....

but he is a phenomenal actor and immensely watchable....

im sure he will match the character in every other way...

the more i see of Tom Hardy the more i think he would suit the role....

but more than happy with Cruise....

on the book front i just finished "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes about a girl who ends up taking a job looking after a quadriplegic...

a change of pace from my usual crime police procedural fest and bordering on chick lit but i really enjoyed it...its got rave reviews....

im currently now working my way through the Per Wahloo and Maj Sawoll "Martin Beck" crime series which inspired the likes of Larsson and Henning Mankell....

if your a fan of Scandanavian crime fiction it is brilliant stuff and i'd recommend you read them

Just finishing off the Hunger Games trilogy.

Relatively simple reading, to be fair, and there's an element of cheesey teen crap to some of it.

But I can't deny it's hugely entertaining. I've nailed the whole trilogy in about 2 weeks (which is very quick for me!)

Just to go back to this trilogy.

Firstly, it's a hugely entertaining trilogy, but as I said it's an easy read. Despite having some very dark elements, it's definitely aimed at a younger audience.

That all being said, I was left extremely unsatisfied when I finished. The end is a huge anticlimax, in my opinion. Felt rushed and (spoiler below)

it felt as if the author thought "Wait a minute, I can't have a happy ending, so let's just do this instead." bish bash bosh, job done.

Felt rushed, and it felt very unconsidered, if that's the right word, compared to the rest of the book which has a very clever storyline in places

Anyway. Great trilogy, very entertaining, but a disappointing finish.

I imagine if done correctly, the films (assuming they continue the trilogy) will be very good.

Although if done badly they'll be horrendous. There are certain elements of it that I could visualise being really really cheesey, which would totally spoil it.

Apparently Cruise makes up for his lack of matching the character physically, he's supposedly quite the bastard in his performance. Trailer coming soon as well.

Hope he does a good job cuz he's absolutely nothing like the character I've imagined after reading all the books

No, not at all. I like Cruise as an actor, think he's done several very good films, but he's the last I'd expected to take the roll as Reacher. Reacher is huge.

Didn't know you'd read the books mate?

And I'd have gone for Ray Stevenson to play Reacher...absolutely perfect

Read two. Die trying and one other that I can't remember the english title. Both were good and there'll be more.

Had to google that guy and still can't remember even if I've seen one or two of his films. But he sure look more like the picture I've had of Reacher.

Apparently Cruise makes up for his lack of matching the character physically, he's supposedly quite the bastard in his performance. Trailer coming soon as well.

Hope he does a good job cuz he's absolutely nothing like the character I've imagined after reading all the books

Just finished my first Reacher book yesterday. Not really into thrillers in a big way, but this one (Tripwire) was really excellent.

And I agree Tom Cruise seems a poor and unimaginative choice. I mean did they get him to stand on a milk crate all the way through or what?

Just finished my first Reacher book yesterday. Not really into thrillers in a big way, but this one (Tripwire) was really excellent.

Not reading them in the order of release then?

try "Persuader" next, one of my favourrites

Not reading them in the order of release then?

try "Persuader" next, one of my favourrites

Ok, Persuader next, unless you think it's worth reading them in order. I only read Tripwire because I found it languishing on a bookshelf at work.

John Wells > Jack Reacher

just my opinion of course , I read the first few Reacher books when they came out Killing Floor to Trip Wire but got a bit bored with them after a while

but those of you that like this series should check out Alex Berenson

just my opinion of course , I read the first few Reacher books when they came out Killing Floor to Trip Wire but got a bit bored with them after a while

Bah! Those books aren't even written by Villa fans. Pulp fiction I tellsya.

Bah! Those books aren't even written by Villa fans. Pulp fiction I tellsya.

Yeah!

Spot the characters in Child's books with Villa connections, theres quite a few in the first 6 or 7

Just finishing "The History Of The Fall & Decline of The Roman Empire", a truly epic read
Still haven't got round to it, so no spoilers please.

Just finishing "The History Of The Fall & Decline of The Roman Empire", a truly epic read
Still haven't got round to it, so no spoilers please.

Is it still a spoiler if you're just speculating?

It falls, then declines. In the middle there's bits about burning, fiddling, Vandalism and roasting Christians. Ace!

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'm fairly determined to rattle through all of Banks SF before I try anything else particularly, now. I've invest enough in the Culture series I may as well finish it.

...hence why I just ordered the first book (but strangely considered not the best starting point for the series), Consider Phlebas, off Amazon :oops:.

About half way through The Dirt - Motley Crue.

:shock:

They really did know how to party!!!

I **** love that book..... genius. The fact they all went out shagging whatever they felt like, then bought an egg burrito to stick their dicks in to hide the smell..... :lol:

Â