Do you read?

Luke_W

Read Animal farm this weekend. Really brilliant, I thought. Though it's more of a long short story than a novel, so it only took a few hours to read it, but it was still very, very good. And another classic.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this one as I've recently finished the 3rd book of The Wheel of time and then just finished The lord of the Flies. LOTF were a bit slow in the beginning but then it gathered some pace and was a really good read. Horrifying in a way. Probably the way it's meant to.

Now it 's back on to read WoT pt 4. That fantazy serie really is brilliant.

LotF is a masterpiece. Truly  chilling. 

(if you’ve just joined us, we’re talking about who is the best Lord - “Lord of the Rings”, “of the Dance” or “of the Flies”...)  ;)

• Like 3

(if you’ve just joined us, we’re talking about who is the best Lord - “Lord of the Rings”, “of the Dance” or “of the Flies”...)  ;)

I seem to remember that the lord of the flies did a lot of hanging about and had nothing to say.

Sports autobiographies make me want to hurt kittens.

I've never read one. 

Same applies for autobiographies generally. If someone is interesting enough, I wouldn't trust their own opinion of themselves anyway, if that makes sense.

True!

When I read Bertrand Russell's autobiography, I thought: What a guy!

When I read Ray Monk's biography, I thought: What a monster!

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Solzhenitsyn was a bit of a clearing in the woods, by all accounts. Great writer, though. 

"One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch" is superb. And I expect "August 1914" to be massively relaunched this year. 

Edited by mjmooney

Haven't read Lord of the dance, but out of the other two I have to say LOTR by a mile. I thought LOTF were really good, but LOTR is, well, among the absolute best, IMO. Probably in the top 5 for me. And you'd probably not agre with about 3 or 4 of the other ones. :P

• Like 1

Â